Vuelta 2017 Stage 10:- Caravaca Año Jubilar 2017 - ElPozo Alimentación 164.8Kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited August 2017 in Pro race
Stage 10:- Caravaca Año Jubilar 2017 - ElPozo Alimentación 164.8Kms

Map:
CARTE.jpg

Profile:
PROFIL.png

Climb:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Final Kms:
PROFILKMS.png

Another ridiculously fast stage. Under 70kms to go already.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Looks a tough day weather wise
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I'm away from home and can't get my usual on-line feed to work. Anyone give me a link to a live feed, please?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Break of about 20 riders 5 mins ahead, with about 50 km to go. Temp 22 deg C, was raining at first, but stopped, although looking like the rain may come back closer the finish.

Break includes LL Sanchez, De Marchi, Rojas and Geniez, all potential winners.
    Also there, Trentin, wearing the green jersey and perhaps trying to get it legitimately back? He just took the intermediate sprint, bringing him to only 3 pts behind Froome.

But no Bardet, Alaphilippe, Jungels, Rui Costa, Majka or de Gendt in the break, although Jungels did try to break away before the successful one did happen (which he missed).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    Also there, Trentin, wearing the green jersey and perhaps trying to get it legitimately back? He just took the intermediate sprint, bringing him to only 3 pts behind Froome.
    Forgot (but meant) to say, it was Trentin who initiated the successful break.
  • Trentin now climbing at the front of the lead group of 4.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    wet and steep descent to finish WOOOOO HOOOOOO straight back to it
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    to quote kirby - this is the shark doing his thing...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Trentin & Rojas out front. 5km to go

Rest of the GC folks all together a couple of mins behind.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Kirby reports that Roche nipped off the front to steal some time.
  • Roache somehow takes a chunk of time out of the rest as the Quick Step benefit continues.
  • TheBigBean
    So Roche and Chavez both 36s behind Froome. Weird how they allowed that.
  • knedlicky
    TheBigBean wrote:
    So Roche and Chavez both 36s behind Froome. Weird how they allowed that.
    Maybe distracted when Nibali eased off and about the same time Zakarin and De La Cruz got back to the Froome group?
    So forgot/couldn't see with the bends, that there was still someone relevant up front?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Yes they didn't really show him on the TV so unless it was on race radio the DSs wouldn't have been aware.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    It was a fairly small group though, so they should really have noticed when he attacked / drifted off the front / turned into a ghost.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Maybe they just didn't care. It's only Nicolas Roche - the third best rider in his family.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Maybe they want to make the point to the other teams that they can't rely on Sky to chase down everything and give them a free ride, especially when some of those other teams may have more to fear from Roche.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Can't see that Froome has that much to fear from Roche at the moment. As above, other teams probably have more to lose.
  • TheBigBean
    Why does everyone always look at things from a Froome/Sky perspective? There are plenty of other riders who should have been chasing Roche today.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Waiting for the highlights on Eurosport, not being shown until 3.30 tomorrow morning. Thanks a fucking bundle.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Trentin bought that from Rojas once they got together.

New contract made him feel flush ;).
  • knedlicky
    Despite some of the comments here, I still think Roche slipped away more or less unnoticed.

Saying other teams have responsibility too to chase him or that Roche is no danger to Froome, miss the point. It wasn't that others let him go or chose not to chase, unconcerned about how he might affect the GC, he simply escaped unnoticed. Like in the days before radios. So good that that is still possible.

Maybe Froome was too involved in discussing tomorrow's tactics with Nibali to notice!
    RichN95 wrote:
    Maybe they just didn't care. It's only Nicolas Roche - the third best rider in his family.
    Who is the other Roche, if Stephan and Nicolas are two of them?

I noticed in his summary, that that recently-retired Spaniard they have on Eurosport (I forget his name - I preferred it when he interviewed people, I find his summaries too simple, and I suspect pre-written for him, I liked him more when he had free rein what to say), referred to Nicolas R. as Stephan R. A slip of the tongue, but unfortunate.
    But must be hard on any cycling son, the immediate association - like the Thurau case too.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Dan martin
  • knedlicky
    Trentin bought that from Rojas once they got together.
    I don't believe that, I'm sure Rojas would have loved to have won in his home area.
    When they briefly spoke during the run-in, Rojas probably suggested he winning and Trentin said No because of the points he wanted. And I doubt Trentin bought it either, knowing he would anyway win in a two-man sprint with Rojas.
    Felt a bit sorry for Rojas, he having led Trentin on the descent, Trentin later admitting he is not the best descender so needed Rojas' line.
  • knedlicky
    Dan martin
    Thanks, I never realised he was the nephew of S.R.(just looked it up on Wikipedia)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    knedlicky wrote:
    Dan martin
    Thanks, I never realised he was the nephew of S.R.(just looked it up on Wikipedia)
    I raced with his dad (not that I'm in his league).
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Still impressive! 8)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I was feeling sea sick after all those switchbacks on the descent....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Roche did really well to take the chance and get those seconds. I hope he does not have one of his disaster days this race.
    Surreal images on the descent.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Why does everyone always look at things from a Froome/Sky perspective? There are plenty of other riders who should have been chasing Roche today.
    Because he is in the leader's jersey?
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Because he is in the leader's jersey?
    I was thinking the same, surely Frome is the least concerned, the other top 6 riders should be kicking themselves. Nibbles, Aru, Berti are immune from making mistakes...?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP