"Squeezy" gels

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I hate having sticky fingers and jersey pockets caused by opening energy gel sachets, etc. I came across "Squeezy energy gel in a bottle" https://www.squeezy-nutrition.co.uk/products/energy-gel-in-bottles?variant=17411300483, that seems like a good way of avoiding the mess I end up in when I try to open a gel on the move. Has anyone tried this? Does it work or is it just as much a faff as a plastic sachet? I also find most gels pretty unpleasant, any reviews of the Squeezy gels, are they any worse than the others?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Or get some gels and empty into water bottle. Dilute to taste. Sorted. No mess on the road.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I've go a couple of these https://highfive.co.uk/product/accessories/gel-flask/.
    They're OK, I can put 2 SIS gels in each (not the 5 gels quoted ( 125ml capacity, SIS gels 60ml). I usually top them up with just a little water to help with the flow. The nozzle/valve is quite stiff though. They're OK but I only use them when I don't plan to stop at all (eg. a sportive).
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Make sure you wash them out thoroughly after use!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If you're prepared to carry it go for it. I prefer to keep them small and tucked away in places where they are not in the way. If I am TTing a few taped to just behind the stem or tucked into my shorts do the trick.

If you want a really pleasant tasting gel, Torq are by far the best I have tasted. SIS have the consistency of snot imo.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    As above, Torq generally taste good, a couple are sweeter though (avoid apple crumble flavour, rasp ripple). The worst gels for consistency are Zipvit, they are thick and pretty well chewy, a bloody awful texture which is a shame as they tend to taste ok. If you want a thin watery gel, try High5, raspberry ones are ok.

Most people who use Torq seem to love them, try Black Cherry Yoghurt ones or Rhubarb & Custard (a bit sweeter than the b cherry, but not too much).

As for mess on the move, it depends on the packaging, each make is different. Maybe you are just having trouble with the brand you are using.
  • OTE gels are great
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited August 2017
    Torq rhubarb and custard, or their special edition Ale flavour gels are great...not sweet. :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mfin wrote:
    As above, Torq generally taste good, a couple are sweeter though (avoid apple crumble flavour, rasp ripple). The worst gels for consistency are Zipvit, they are thick and pretty well chewy, a bloody awful texture which is a shame as they tend to taste ok. If you want a thin watery gel, try High5, raspberry ones are ok.

Most people who use Torq seem to love them, try Black Cherry Yoghurt ones or Rhubarb & Custard (a bit sweeter than the b cherry, but not too much).

As for mess on the move, it depends on the packaging, each make is different. Maybe you are just having trouble with the brand you are using.

I prefer ZipVit over the others, but as you say, they do tend to be thick.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Thanks for the feedback. I only use gels, or any sports specific nutritional product, during a sportive or similar, normally I pop into a small shop for a coke and cake, an Appenzeller Bärli-Biber is the one of choice. I'll give one of the gel flasks a go, as long as I can get to the gel with one hand. I like the sound of rhubarb and custard gels, may have to give that a try.

I tried to open a freebie toothpaste style tube of gel whilst riding in a group once, opened the lid with one hand and teeth, then squeezed the tube. Didn't spot there was a second plastic membrane under the cap, the pressure from squeezing forced it off, but the gel went everywhere. One mitt covered in gel, all down my chin and into the helmet straps, and it was a hot day with several more hours of riding. I wasn't good company for the rest of the ride.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    mfin wrote:

+1 for the Torq black cherry flavour. Nice, settles well in my stomach and my gel of choice.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    For the people who put gels in bottles and then dilute with water - you do know that you can buy energy drinks that are designed for this usage don't you?

I don't like gels - the taste, the texture, the mess - I use a combination of energy drinks are bars.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Gels are a means to an end - a quick shot of carbs in an easy to handle package. They are a necessary evil rather than a positive experience. Give me a good chunk of flapjack and I'm happy but if I need to neck a gel to get me that last 10 miles home so be it :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Play havoc with my guts so I avoid them and unless you are racing then they are largely a marketing ploy for the unsuspecting. Flapjacks or energy bars (at a push) are a better option. All in my ill-informed opinion of course.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Wiggle ones taste great and are very cheap. I always use them when I am flagging. The issue with energy bars is that you also need to down a good amount of water and they take a bit of time to make a difference whilst a gel is almost an instant hit. I usually take one on the last 10 - 15 miles of a ride.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Anyone remember the Redbull Energy shot? Not sure if it was available in the UK. Taking one of them was like doing a line of speed . Especially if you were close to bonking.
  • Is that one product that is reusable plastic or silicone?

Either way this solves an issue I was worried about with getting into trying a race, feeding. It's not a long race to eat food, just gel, but this solves fiddling with a trash packet.

Does using a reusable gel or any gel outside of a feedzone break the rules? Or are gels ok outside of a feed zone?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Have you tried Cliff bar energy chews, they are bit like jelly babies without the dusty coating. They are much nicer than gels and no mess.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is that one product that is reusable plastic or silicone?

Either way this solves an issue I was worried about with getting into trying a race, feeding. It's not a long race to eat food, just gel, but this solves fiddling with a trash packet.

FDoes using a reusable gel or any gel outside of a feedzone break the rules? Or are gels ok outside of a feed zone?
    Inthe race cat you are entering there will be no feed zones as it's only 90 mins and they don't generally have then in in lower cat races. Energy drink in bottle, gels in jersey pocket then back in pocket when consumed. If you can't manage this maybe your handling skills are not up to riding in a bunch.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Webboo wrote:
    Have you tried Cliff bar energy chews, they are bit like jelly babies without the dusty coating. They are much nicer than gels and no mess.

Agreed, blooming love them, a bit too much.

I've not compared though how many bloks = 1 gel for carbs etc.
  • Dabber wrote:
    I've go a couple of these https://highfive.co.uk/product/accessories/gel-flask/.
    They're OK, I can put 2 SIS gels in each (not the 5 gels quoted ( 125ml capacity, SIS gels 60ml). I usually top them up with just a little water to help with the flow. The nozzle/valve is quite stiff though. They're OK but I only use them when I don't plan to stop at all (eg. a sportive).

It's a bottle made by High5 - there's your clue.