Men over 8-stone shouldn't wear Lycra

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2017 in Road general
Totally agree with Sir Chris Hoy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-Hoy.html

I've started wearing baggy shorts and t-shirts to hide my lard. :mrgreen:

But more to the point, are there really any men out there who weigh LESS than 8st? Really?

Comments

• That pretty much accounts for 95% of professional males and a fair few females. Even Nairo Quintana weighs about 9 stone race weight. If you followed Chris Hoys suggestion they would all be naked. But then this is the Daily Mail so anything they write should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Next they will be saying Lycra causes cancer.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Lycra causes cancer. FACT.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    rumbataz wrote:
    But more to the point, are there really any men out there who weigh LESS than 8st? Really?
    A certain little chap over in Commuting may be under 8 stone.
    Boys yes, men no.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • So Hoy is into body shaming and, rather naively, has become an advocate for the cycling hating press. I'm sure that'll do his cycling brand no further harm at all :lol:

I'd agree with him that wearing a team kit you haven't earned is questionable behaviour for any sport but then I've never been such a fan of any team as to ever want to do that.

It's a shame he'll most likely be misquoted and his views taken out of context by others to peddle their own agenda.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    my legs probably weigh more than 8st.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • pblakeney
    ...and just how heavy was Chris when he wore Lycra?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I reckon typically, he's been misquoted. Was probably asked if he thought lycra looked bad on MAMILs and responded in the positive. The DF or GQ have then put it as his unsolicited quote.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pblakeney
    To be fair, if he had said 12 stone then I couldn't disagree.
    I am 13 stone. :oops:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I see on Twitter Chris has been apologetic for the GQ article appearing harsh. I don't know if he's seen the DF's take on it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I go along with his "full team kit" point - definately - unless it's a team you're in of course ... eg Club kit ...
    White shorts - definately - that and Red shorts ... we don't need to see it!

As for anyone over XX stone wearing Lycra - TBH, if they're off riding a bike and want to wear Lycra kit - then good on them - I don't care - especially if it means they ride a bit further/faster than they would otherwise - Like CH says - you don't know what they looked like 6 or 12 months ago - or even just 2 weeks.
    We, as a nation, are struggling against obesity - anything that encourages people to excersise is good.

Oh - we saw an oldie on a trike yesterday - going about 2mph - not in lycra though - good to see as it's probably their best means of independance and it gets them out...
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    If you're mincing around a track for 200m, fair enough. Personally I don't want to come back from a 100k ride with my undercarriage doing an impression of a randy turkey's wattle!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    PBlakeney wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:
    A certain little chap over in Commuting may be under 8 stone.
    Boys yes, men no.

9 stone ;).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Pozzovivo comes in at 8 stone I think.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Mouth wrote:
    my legs probably weigh more than 8st.

My svelte midriff also weighs more than 8st. :mrgreen:
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad Posts: 104
    Once you've worn a padded short, it's hard to go back to baggies. I think CH has been misrepresented somewhat, here's the article:
    http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ch ... n-you-ride

OK carrying a lot of fat in a lycra tube is not that aesthetically pleasing but give those folk some respect for even climbing over a top tube. The team-kit thing is different, I'd be ashamed to don team strip or race jerseys, that gear needs to be earned. Glad he's come out against (if too mildly for my taste) the YJA though, those things are a visual cancer.

On style, I think he's bang on. Mix and match brands, try to be tasteful. I stick to white hat/shoes/socks/gloves, plain black shorts & then any jersey that's not in the laundry basket.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    8 stone 2lb (wet through), same weight now as in my youth.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I'd forgotten about PUFFIN, more suited to me than MAMIL I feel. I can't imagine being 8 stone, but being over 6 foot I think that would be far from healthy.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    I like CH and the original article has been altered to suit the DM agenda, but even so, the thrust of the original piece pandered to lazy and negative imagery that is best not perpetuated. Shame.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • diamonddog wrote:

How tall are you? Sounds dangerously underweight to me.
  • pblakeney
    My guess is that SCH was probably exaggerating to make a point.
    Possibly with a touch of humour. Both of which have been lost. At a guess.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    PBlakeney wrote:
    My guess is that SCH was probably exaggerating to make a point.
    Possibly with a touch of humour. Both of which have been lost. At a guess.
    I think so, it would have sounded very different if spoken with the inflection indicating meaning. In black and white any subtlety is lost. It's not an unreasonable article.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Orkneylad wrote:
    Once you've worn a padded short, it's hard to go back to baggies. I think CH has been misrepresented somewhat, here's the article:

OK carrying a lot of fat in a lycra tube is not that aesthetically pleasing but give those folk some respect for even climbing over a top tube. The team-kit thing is different, I'd be ashamed to don team strip or race jerseys, that gear needs to be earned. Glad he's come out against (if too mildly for my taste) the YJA though, those things are a visual cancer.

On style, I think he's bang on. Mix and match brands, try to be tasteful. I stick to white hat/shoes/socks/gloves, plain black shorts & then any jersey that's not in the laundry basket.

What's wrong with wearing team kit ? If you follow riders or teams stands to reason your going to feel like you would want to buy that to train in rather than some off the shelf tesco shite non descript crap, that's like saying you can't ride the same bikes either
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Back to Sir Chris....
    has he withdrawn his range of bibs?
    It seems so.
  • reacher wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

What's wrong with wearing team kit ? If you follow riders or teams stands to reason your going to feel like you would want to buy that to train in rather than some off the shelf tesco shite non descript crap, that's like saying you can't ride the same bikes either

It's not binary. There are other options.
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad Posts: 104
    reacher wrote:

I just think it's disrespectful to the guys (and gals) who have earned it; doubly so if you don't have the performance to pull off the illusion (and few of us have that) so you're just asking for sniggers and jokes. There's plenty of excellent kit out there to choose from and there's really no reason to go out dressed like a billboard if you're not paid to do it.

As to bikes, ride what you like or can afford, but if you're not a pro then who are you kidding....no top-line bike is going to turn you into Nibali. For us mere mortals, pretty much any bike under 10kg is going to be totally fine.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    reacher wrote:

You're obviously under 16, and it's fine for kids to wear the kit of their heroes, it's positive. Adults don't tend to do it though, and the only ones that do are those that don't realise they look stupid.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    diamonddog wrote:

How tall are you? Sounds dangerously underweight to me.
    1.65mt tall very, light build and bmi is at the low end of normal at 19.1.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Orkneylad wrote:
    reacher wrote:

I just think it's disrespectful to the guys (and gals) who have earned it; doubly so if you don't have the performance to pull off the illusion (and few of us have that) so you're just asking for sniggers and jokes. There's plenty of excellent kit out there to choose from and there's really no reason to go out dressed like a billboard if you're not paid to do it.

As to bikes, ride what you like or can afford, but if you're not a pro then who are you kidding....no top-line bike is going to turn you into Nibali. For us mere mortals, pretty much any bike under 10kg is going to be totally fine.

I just find it amusing - fine, if you want to ride full Team kit on a Team bike - in a visual support of said team - it's just you expect team kit to be worn by football supporters - so full team kit on a cyclist just looks out of place.
    As for the bike - then again - up to you if you want to ride a 10k bike - it is (or was) your money - just looks a bit out of place when you're puffing and panting on that "hill" that goes over the railway line ...
    it's a bit biking snobbery I guess - the only way to show off on bikes is by being faster than the next guy - or if you're not faster then it's because you've just ridden around the globe 3 times and it's a rest day.... ;)
  • veronese68
    mfin wrote:
    Adults don't tend to do it though, and the only ones that do are those that don't realise they look stupid.
    Football fans, rugby fans? Cycling seems to be unusual in that showing support for a team by wearing replica kit is frowned upon.
    I don't wear team kit for any sport, but I find this preaching at people about what they can wear a trifle odd.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Adults don't tend to do it though, and the only ones that do are those that don't realise they look stupid.
    Football fans, rugby fans? Cycling seems to be unusual in that showing support for a team by wearing replica kit is frowned upon.
    I don't wear team kit for any sport, but I find this preaching at people about what they can wear a trifle odd.

Couldn't agree with you more, people are of course able to wear what they like - it's only clothing, and it's sold to be worn.
    If you weren't meant to wear it, they wouldn't produce it.

I don't support a team as such, and likely never will, though being from this Island, I tend to root for home grown riders.

I have bought some team kit, but have yet to wear it actually - why?
    Because I don't feel I am fast enough to justify it, but that's my personal take on it, and not one I would look to push onto anyone else.

I have some Cannondale (Pre Drapac) kit, a direct energie jersey, and Mavic JLT Condor kit, including shorts.
    All of it bought purely because I like the colourways, and nothing to do with aspiring to be a pro, or liking any specific riders who ride for them.

I'm kind of using it as a carrot to train harder and to get more powerful, and then I will start wearing them, now and then - I have far more non team kit though, so that will be the norm, and team kit the exception.

Each to their own though, if team kit motivates you to ride more that's a good thing, I for one won't be scoffing or laughing at you.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18