Winter bike

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Been thinking about putting my C2W scheme to good use for a winter purchase and found this https://www.evanscycles.com/focus-cayo-al-105-2017-road-bike-EV308648 (restricted to Evans with our policy).

Quite like the idea it's more race than endurance plus it's got 105 albeit probably overkill for winter duties. A I guess lack of mudguard mounts is a bit of a downside but I can work around that!

For £50 more I could get a 2018 Allez (sora) but am not 100% convinced.

Any thoughts/ alternatives?

Comments

• Doesn't the Allez have massive tyre clearances and mudguard/ rack mounts?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks, yes the Allez does have mounts etc but was hoping to get a better group set, hence the Cayo.

The attain is nice but only 50cm frame sadly. Will keep looking, as winter isnt here yet, but hoping to grab a 17 sale model...
  • You can get some very good plastic mudguards that don't require dedicated mounts. SKS raceblades for example. I wouldn't let mudguard eyelets be a deal breaker if you find a bike you like that hasn't got them
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    You want a winter bike?? Don't compromise on what is actually required of a winter bike.

Weight/aero and to a lesser extent running gear should be of less importance than what makes a suitable bike a proper winter runner.

I would say dedicated mudguard eyelets are absolutely essential to allow fitting of proper, high quality guards. Granted, there are perfectly reasonable clip-on or non eyelet mounted guards but they will be a compromise; very suitable for a summer or race bike for short periods, but they will annoy you after a while on a bike ridden for a longer period of time.

The best bike I have bought was a Roubaix with mudguard eyelets and I fitted a set of full coverage SKS guards, specifically for winter. It just works, no rattles, great protection and for me, I even think they even add to the look of the bike.

Nick
  • I'm of the thinking there is no such thing as a 'winter bike'. The roads are the same just a bit wetter and dirtier. Tyres make the difference on all aspects of winter riding so the only thing I would look at is clearance for wider tyres. You don't NEED mud guards. If you're on your own then an ass saver may be all you require. Just wash your running gear and oil regularly. Some people are happy with an old hack as a winter bike. Depends on your use really .
  • You don't NEED mud guards.

You don't NEED to ride when its wet and dirty
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • You don't NEED mud guards.

You don't NEED to ride when its wet and dirty

Maybe you do if it's your only means of commuting transport.
  • Very quick scan through Evans stock, my shortlist would include...
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275629
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275623
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-do ... e-EV275637 (albeit it is £50 over normal £1k ceiling)
    https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-thres ... e-EV277746

I would probably choose the Arkose X, tyre clearance with mudguards up to 700x45c.

Until I got my Cube for the same price in a special site-wide promo like Rutland Cycles are doing again this bank hol weekend, I was going to visit the new Havant store and get a test ride before pulling the trigger. I figured the Cube was too good a deal to not buy for £900 and I have the Wazoo to ride in winter.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I run a caadx as a winter bike, nice and versatile as I swap the wheels and run it in cx mode trail bashing with the kids. CX bike is a good way to go.

p.s can we stop this winter bike talk for another month? I'm not ready to wave goodbye to summer yet...;-)
  • timbo_tim
    A lot to consider there, thanks for the input. My view of a winter bike is something that I can take out during wet weekends without worrying about trashing my "best" bike-rather than cross/adventure bike. So I was thinking something relatively cheap, but not too heavy that I won't enjoy it. I like the dolomite as it seems to tick the boxes; so probably between that and the Allez, as they are both "normal" bikes that can take guards...
  • del1971
    del1971 Posts: 18
    I tried raceblades, crudguards, Zefal clip ons. They are all a compromise in terms of rattling, poor coverage, flimsiness. Your bike still gets filthy. Your feet get soaked by spray. Then I got a dedicated commuting / winter bike and fitted bolt on SKS chromoplastic full guards. The difference is a revelation. Complete protection from spray. No rattling. No bits falling off. Your feet stay dry. If you live in a country which has wet winter roads, do yourself a favour and get a bike which takes proper bolt on full guards.
  • In reply to OP there really isn't a good way of working around lack of mounts.

Apologies for repeating above but if you are buying a bike for regular UK winter use then proper mudguard mounts are vital for full coverage mudguards and even more important if you are planning on bunch rides and want to keep friends.
    Also allows you to go the shops in civvies without the stupid black spray up your back and soaking nice shoes,

And I agree with n1ckster that the bike looks better and inspires a bit of confidence in other riders.

Hope you find a nice bike.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Another vote here for full mudguards. I used to use SKS Raceblade Pros on my 'summer' bike, hands down the best clips ons I've ever used. They kept me nice and dry, but the bike still got covered. Then I picked up a second hand Genesis Equilibrium on eBay and fitted Chromoplastic full guards; the difference is massive.

There's now way I'll ever go back to clips ons, and if I could only keep one bike, I'd be the Genesis. Not having to constantly clean the bike means more time riding or doing more interesting things. If you don't mind cleaning the bike then do you even need a 'winter' bike? Unless you ride A LOT, it'll take a very long time for a whole second bike to work out cheaper than some new components that have worn a bit quicker in winter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Personally would not worry about the groupset too much, if its getting proper winter use then it's cheaper for replacements. I'd rather have good clearance and mounts for proper guards.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Hi all

Been thinking about putting my C2W scheme to good use for a winter purchase and found this https://www.evanscycles.com/focus-cayo-al-105-2017-road-bike-EV308648 (restricted to Evans with our policy).

Quite like the idea it's more race than endurance plus it's got 105 albeit probably overkill for winter duties. A I guess lack of mudguard mounts is a bit of a downside but I can work around that!

For £50 more I could get a 2018 Allez (sora) but am not 100% convinced.

Any thoughts/ alternatives?

Go for clearnance and mounts.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    If you're group riding in winter then you absolutely NEED mudguards - otherwise no-one will sit behind you and you will become a social outcast.

I have not bought a dedicated winter bike, just demoted my CAAD10 to winter duties when a new 'best' bike arrived. I have found raceblades to be fine if you take the time to get them setup properly.
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks all, it seems weird to buy a new bike just to ruin in the weather, but my best bike is more expensive and still too new for demotion just yet. In the absence of a ridiculous sale coming up in next two weeks I have decided on the new Allez, prob the Sport with Sora though the Elite (with almost gulf racing colours and 105) is tempting!!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Thanks all, it seems weird to buy a new bike just to ruin in the weather, but my best bike is more expensive and still too new for demotion just yet. In the absence of a ridiculous sale coming up in next two weeks I have decided on the new Allez, prob the Sport with Sora though the Elite (with almost gulf racing colours and 105) is tempting!!

It won't be ruined. You're just riding it on wet roads.
  • timbo_tim
    SheffSimon wrote:
    timbo_tim wrote:

It won't be ruined. You're just riding it on wet roads.

Sorry - yes you are right, but regardless I would rather preserve my best bike for the summer and then use a cheaper alternative through the murkier / wetter months, especially now I have decided 'guards are the way to go and the summer bike has no mounts.