Front end clicking!

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Noticed on the last couple of rides a clicking noise coming from the bike,seems to be from the front end.
Sounds like a slight clicking only when out of the saddle,my initial thought is the front hub bearings.
Wheelset is Vision Team30 and mileage completed is about 1K mainly dry miles.

Any thoughts folks.
Thanks.

Comments

• trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Have bearings got any grease in them? How are they adjusted; so all free play just goes when QR is home? Noise could be from stem or headset even. Can you get mate to listen?
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • I had this a few weeks back, turned out to be the headset. Have you got any slight play in it? It won't be much.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Front QR - check the tension
  • I had this a few weeks back, turned out to be the headset. Have you got any slight play in it? It won't be much.

Had this, or stem bolts. If it's anything to do with the hub try swapping the wheel around so the hub roles the opposite direction. Had this on Campag hub, whined going one way but was fine in the other.
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    check further back just in case. I thought I had a front end noise - turned out to be the bottom bracket.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Headset would be my guess. Try holding the front brake on and rocking the bike back and forward - does it click? Can you feel movement where the forks join the headset?
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    Imposter wrote:

Second this. I've also had noise that went away after I greased the QR axle.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Headset, loosen off the stem and re-adjust it.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    fenski wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Greasing a qr axle wouldn't have done anything.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    mfin wrote:
    fenski wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Greasing a qr axle wouldn't have done anything.

The greasing itself might not but if the poster tightened it properly when refitting then indirectly the process may have helped!
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Thanks for the replies folks. Have checked the headset using front the front brake and no response so going to strip everything down and lube headset and hub bearings to see if there is any change.
    Should be a good intro to starting my own wrenching.

Thanks again.