Pinnacle Ramin 2 or Norco Charger 7.1

staffo
staffo Posts: 82
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm considering buying a bike on the Evans Ride-to-Work scheme. It will be used for riverbank commutes and recreational XC type rides in the Peak District. I've had a test ride of a Pinnacle Iroko 2 but wasn't keen on the relatively short reach and wide handlebars. I discussed this with the shop assistant who said the Iroko was more for Trails than XC.

I've narrowed my search down to the Pinnacle Ramin 2 which I have booked a test ride for this week, and the Norco Charger 7.1. Neither bike has everything I was looking for (1x drivetrain, internal dropper post routing, tubeless tyres, remote lockout fork) but none of these are deal breakers. I'm 5'6" so looking at size Small in both bikes.

Does anyone have any experience or any advice about these bikes?

Thanks in advance.

Staff

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    That doesn't make sense you said that the reach on the Iroko was too short at 424mm, but the Ramin is 413mm and the Norco 398mm. By todays standard the bars on the Iroco are on the narrow side 780mm being fairly normal.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    looking for (1x drivetrain, internal dropper post routing, tubeless tyres, remote lockout fork

Your kind of limiting your choice there, and is it really nessesary given:
    riverbank commutes and recreational XC

A dropper will add weight and additional servicing.
    Remote lockout adds weight and more handle bar clutter when you can just lean down and flip the fork crown lock out.
    2x10 gears probably cheaper than 1x11

Just some thoughts.
  • staffo
    robertpb wrote:
    That doesn't make sense you said that the reach on the Iroko was too short at 424mm, but the Ramin is 413mm and the Norco 398mm. By todays standard the bars on the Iroco are on the narrow side 780mm being fairly normal.
    I see where you're coming from but both the Ramin and Charger have much slacker seat tube angles and longer stems which should give a longer reach from the saddle to the bars. I'm from a road cycling background so it could just be that I'm not used to an mtb set-up.
  • staffo
    mattyfez wrote:
    looking for (1x drivetrain, internal dropper post routing, tubeless tyres, remote lockout fork

Your kind of limiting your choice there, and is it really nessesary given:
    riverbank commutes and recreational XC

A dropper will add weight and additional servicing.
    Remote lockout adds weight and more handle bar clutter when you can just lean down and flip the fork crown lock out.
    2x10 gears probably cheaper than 1x11

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated. Funnily enough I bumped into a cycling mate this afternoon who said very much the same thing.