What's happened to Cannondale Drapac

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited November 2017 in Pro race
Boom boom fizz

Rolland left no contract after turning down offers after Giro due to 2018 contract

Funny I nearly started a thread three days ago Why is Rolland at Cannondale!

Comments

• "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    OK, what happened here then?

"We want to be clear. All of our current sponsors and partners (Cannondale, Drapac, Oath, POC) have remained committed to support our team in 2018. These sponsors have lived up to their promises; however, without additional financial backing, the numbers simply don't add up."

Oath is a new partner, signed up this summer. No sponsor is leaving. Yet a potential new sponsor pulling out could close the team? Were they hugely over budget this year then? Have their costs for 2018 exploded? What's going on?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Maybe Uran has asked for what he his worth ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I've heard that Cannondale were looking to significantly decrease the amount of money they are putting into the team, so one assumes the budget shortfall comes from that.

I'm going to be harsh, but this team doesn't win enough races to attract a top tier sponsor. Their patchy recruitment record combined with an almost total lack of rider development means they have an unbalanced team full of flaky climbers and anonymous Australians. They lack winners, they just have lots of average riders who contribute the odd win here or there and a total lack of focus on getting results. They've also cultivated a kooky image that isn't attractive to mainstream US companies wanting to get a return on their sponsorship spending. If Uran hadn't performed at the Tour their entire season would've been a complete disaster.

Their budget was similar to AG2R, who have through clever recruitment and good talent spotting and rider development have put together a team that can properly support Bardet and get results through the rest of the season, so it an be done on a lower budget.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm not a massive fan of Vaughters but for the sake of all the employees, and for the WT I hope they sort something out. They're in a cleft stick in some ways, with a limited budget meaning they don't have the depth to win enough to keep big sponsors interested.

I think it'd be a real shame to have to break the team up.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Well that escalated quickly https://slipstreamsports.typeform.com/to/TveqQM (crowdfunding for 2018)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Bollocks. My fave team :(
  • salsiccia1
    fluff. wrote:
    Well that escalated quickly https://slipstreamsports.typeform.com/to/TveqQM (crowdfunding for 2018)

I'm actually tempted to get in on that...
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    fluff. wrote:

I'm actually tempted to get in on that...
    Yeah, I've registered my interest to help. Uran has also given them to weeks to try and get something sorted before he has to think of himself and go elsewhere, which is really classy of him. I hope it works out for everyone.
  • Confirmed with a new WT team anyway:
    Alberto Bettiol (ITA) (age 23)
    Davide Formolo (ITA) (age 24)
    Kristijan Koren (SLO) (age 30)
    Tom-Jelte Slagter (NED) (age 28)
    Davide Villella (ITA) (age 26)

WOULD/SHOULD get a contract:
    Sebastian Langeveld (NED) (age 32)
    Taylor Phinney (USA) (age 27)
    Andrew Talansky (USA) (age 28)
    Dylan van Baarle (NED) (age 24)
    Sep van Marcke (BEL) (age 29)
    Rigoberto Urán (COL) (age 30)
    Michael Woods (CAN) (age 30)

MAY get one:
    Patrick Bevin (NZL) (age 26)
    Hugh Carthy (GBR) (age 23)
    Simon Clarke (AUS) (age 31)
    Lawson Craddock (USA) (age 25)
    Joe Dombrowski (USA) (age 26)
    Pierre Rolland (FRA) (age 30)

Touch and Go:
    Nathan Brown (USA) (age 26)
    Brendan Canty (AUS) (age 25)
    Will Clarke (AUS) (age 32)
    Alex Howes (USA) (age 29)
    Ryan Mullen (IRL) (age 23)
    Tom Scully (NZL) (age 27)
    Toms Skujiņš (LAT) (age 26)
    Tom van Asbroeck (BEL) (age 27)
    Wouter Wippert (NED) (age 27)

A lot of guys will have to go Pro Conti if the team folds :roll: :|
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Show your workings.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Si Clarke bound to get a contract, I've listened to Kirby and it seems he's among the favourites in every race he enters.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pierre Rolland will get a contract. Win a big Tour stage and a Frenchmen will always find a contract - see Brice Feillu (who actually had a good Tour this year)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:
    Si Clarke bound to get a contract, I've listened to Kirby and it seems he's among the favourites in every race he enters.
    Very versatile too - apparently he can win every race from February to August.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,877
    Phinney to Sky.
    Please.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

just a shame most of those February races are over by August, otherwise he'd be finishing first about now...
  • silvergrenade
    silvergrenade Posts: 79
    edited August 2017
    Repost
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pierre Rolland will get a contract. Win a big Tour stage and a Frenchmen will always find a contract - see Brice Feillu (who actually had a good Tour this year)

Agreed that he won a stage this Giro but he under-performs hugely.
    We have to keep in mind that he's a big rider and on good money. Most teams don't have enough budget to really take him now as they've already offered contracts and their budget is shewn up.
    The only place WT he can supposedly go is Trek(Contador leaving), if they want him. And thats a big if.

But yeah, would be nice if we see him at a WT team winning great MTFs.
  • RichN95 wrote:

The point he made was that he was approached in July by three teams but turned them down due to contract loyalties. Now those teams have found a new other with similar skill sets.
  • Vino'sGhost
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Vino'sGhost
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

:D:D:D:D:D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    old vaughters sounded pretty desperate on that cycling podcast interview.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    They have dropped the first crowdfunding amount to $25 bucks. So if anyone wasn't happy to pledge $100 but feels better about a lower amount you can still register your interest. They have also said that anyone who commits $25 or more will be part of a tiered rewards program.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Vaughters has been passing the cap around on Twitter recently, seemed a bit of an odd thing to do so openly
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Anyone fancy a whip round to get "BR Pro Race" on as a sponsor? With a picture of a lovely horse as a logo obviously.
  • RichN95.
    I would love the Trump empire to come the rescue. Idea of Vaughters singing the praises of Trump throughout Europe entertains me.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    I would love the Trump empire to come the rescue. Idea of Vaughters singing the praises of Trump throughout Europe entertains me.

How about Fox News - Drapac
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Fox are already part owners of Sky though.
  • salsiccia1
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Fox are already part owners of Sky though.

Perhaps he should flutter his eyelashes at Time Warner whilst pointing that fact out to them. I could see a lot of the liberal US cycling fans taking an interest in a CNN backed team.
  • Vino'sGhost
    I think its a shame and the gleeful way some people laugh at this shows them as total cock s

This is peoples living.