Map:
CARTE.jpg

Profile:
PROFIL.png

Climb:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Last Kms:
PROFILKMS.png

Twice up the Cumbre del Sol. This is where Tom Dumoulin had his breakthrough as a GC rider.

sptdw375_670.jpg

La Vuelta 2015: stage 9:-
https://youtu.be/6uXd1j8yLXo?t=3
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Another busy day for Lopez, Knees and Stannard to keep breakaways in their sights. I'm guessing Froome will be after the stage win today.

Actually that's not much of a guess looking at the PTP picks.
  • BOTD:
    Markel Irizar (Trek-Segafredo), Marc Soler (Movistar Team), Marco Haller (Katusha-Alpecin), Bert-Jan Lindeman (LottoNL-Jumbo), Tobias Ludvigsson (FDJ), Anthony Turgis (Cofidis), Lluis Mas y Diego Rubio (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Conor Dunne (Aqua Blue Sport) y Ricardo Vilela (Manzana-Postobón)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    What are the odds on a Cannondale-Drapac win today? Will they be like IAM last year and win for fun for the rest of the season?
  • Bardet Attack!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Cumbre del sol is even sillier than hardknott pass.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    andyp wrote:
    What are the odds on a Cannondale-Drapac win today? Will they be like IAM last year and win for fun for the rest of the season?
    I hope so :)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Break caught with 6 km to go
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Froome clearly the strongest in this race and I reckon in better shape than he was for the Tour.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Froome! He wanted that. First win of the season.
  • Froome puts the bonus second boot into Chavtio and the rest.
    The Orica man got close, but no cigarro.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Froome clearly the strongest in this race and I reckon in better shape than he was for the Tour.

Yup. It's looking like great season management.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    inseine wrote:

*cough* Tour de France *cough*

(But I take your point).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited August 2017
    1)FroomeChristopher Team Sky 04:07:13
    2)ChavesJohan Esteban ORICA-Scott :04
    3)WoodsMichael Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team :05
    4)KeldermanWilco Team Sunweb :08
    5)ZakarinIlnur Team Katusha - Alpecin ,,
    6)ContadorAlberto Trek - Segafredo 0:12
    7)de la CruzDavid Quick-Step Floors ,,
    8)OomenSam Team Sunweb ,,
    9)RocheNicolas BMC Racing Team 0:14
    10)NibaliVincenzo Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team ,,
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Froome also leads the Points jersey as well now. He's third in the Mountains.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    andyp wrote:
    inseine wrote:

*cough* Tour de France *cough*

(But I take your point).

Pedant! ;)
    Great ride by Woods again
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Great win by Froome but not as dominant as I would have thought and he looked wrung out at the end so maybe it's not all over yet. Great comeback by Chaves as well and Woods hung in there too.

Rest day tomorrow but a couple of big climbs to follow should show who has recovered the best after a hard first week of racing.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    hypster wrote:
    Great win by Froome but not as dominant as I would have thought and he looked wrung out at the end so maybe it's not all over yet. Great comeback by Chaves as well and Woods hung in there too.

Rest day tomorrow but a couple of big climbs to follow should show who has recovered the best after a hard first week of racing.
    Really? I thought he looked pretty good whereas Chaves and Woods looked completely cooked. Chaves was being held up on his bike by a soigneur in the footage I saw.
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:

Really? I thought he looked pretty good whereas Chaves and Woods looked completely cooked. Chaves was being held up on his bike by a soigneur in the footage I saw.

They all looked pretty well done for at the end on the footage I saw. I just expected Froome to go a little earlier on the climb if he wanted to take more time out of his rivals. I didn't expect Chaves to catch him after the initial attack and I don't think Froome did either. He had to dig really deep to take the win.

Yesterday's performance looked a little more dominant to me but Froome must have taken a fair bit out of himself after that effort. Just saying, it's not all over yet.
  • Not watched yet but two points...

Froome looking to win all the jerseys? I genuinely would doff my cap if he did that (especially the Young rider ;) )

Woods doing the Cannondale classic of riding the Vuelta a la Zubeldia, but dong it very well indeed
  • inseine
    Not watched yet but two points...

Froome looking to win all the jerseys? I genuinely would doff my cap if he did that (especially the Young rider ;) )

Woods doing the Cannondale classic of riding the Vuelta a la Zubeldia, but dong it very well indeed

Harsh on Woods. He provoked the action yesterday.
    I don't think gives a damn about the other jerseys.
  • Just saw the time sheet today.
    Simon Yates 10 minutes back.
    He really suffered today.
    Expecting a lot of engines to explode in the second week.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Just saw the time sheet today.

wow, thats a lot to lose on the climb. must have got dropped before?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Markwb79 wrote:

Just because I haven't mentioned it yet... I'm 1 second quicker than tiesj benoot on the Strava segment for this climb.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Watching the stage on Spanish TV, the commentators seemed very positive towards Froome in a way that they probably aren't in France
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    gsk82 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Just because I haven't mentioned it yet... I'm 1 second quicker than tiesj benoot on the Strava segment for this climb.
    Nice
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:

They all looked pretty well done for at the end on the footage I saw. I just expected Froome to go a little earlier on the climb if he wanted to take more time out of his rivals. I didn't expect Chaves to catch him after the initial attack and I don't think Froome did either. He had to dig really deep to take the win.

Yesterday's performance looked a little more dominant to me but Froome must have taken a fair bit out of himself after that effort. Just saying, it's not all over yet.

Subject to accident or illness, yes it is.

Froome looked in total control to me, he saw Chaves and just accelerated away again, unbelievable as he must have been deep already with that move.
  • hypster
    Lookyhere wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Froome looked in total control to me, he saw Chaves and just accelerated away again, unbelievable as he must have been deep already with that move.

With the ITT looming on Stage 19 in 2016, that's what "they" were saying before Stage 15 to Formigal. Chris Froome lost over two and a half minutes to Quintana on that stage and effectively binned the Vuelta through inattention. In 2015 he crashed and broke his foot putting him out of the race. Anything can happen in bike racing and there's still two weeks of even harder racing to come. Personally speaking I hope you are right though!
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    hypster wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:

With the ITT looming on Stage 19 in 2016, that's what "they" were saying before Stage 15 to Formigal. Chris Froome lost over two and a half minutes to Quintana on that stage and effectively binned the Vuelta through inattention. In 2015 he crashed and broke his foot putting him out of the race. Anything can happen in bike racing and there's still two weeks of even harder racing to come. Personally speaking I hope you are right though!

He wont make that mistake again, would like to see Froome have a bad day, surely he is owed one? and lets make a race out of it, looking a Froome foregone conclusion at mo.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    gsk82 wrote:

That's impossible, even a sprinter with two broken legs and carrying an American style fridge for his dashingly handsome brother Jean Claude is a million times quicker up a climb than any amateur!
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

More realistically I did a segment the other day where Andre Grieple was twice as fast as me!!