Canyon VCLS 2.0 vs Trek Isospeed

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Has anyone ridden both? Any idea how they compare? I realise they're different systems btw, just wondering about the comfort factor.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sorry, what's the question here? Isn't the Canyon VCLS 2.0 a seat post and the Isospeed Decoupler something that's a feature of a trek Domane that lets the seat post move?

If the above is right, then I don't understand the question as a Canyon VCLS 2.0 can be used on different bikes some of which will be really comfy before using it, and some not.

Can you elaborate on the question differently so people can answer?

Perhaps I have got the products wrong?
  • johngti
    Last bit of the sentence - how do they compare comfort wise? Seems to me that it's two different solutions to the problem of improving on-bike comfort. I'd like to know if anyone has experience of both and can give a judgement of the effectiveness of each solution. The motivation is that a Donane is significantly more expensive than the canyon endurace is going for at the moment. If the VCLS system works as well as Trek's then that may be a more likely option for me.

Better?
  • johngti
    And to give it a bit more context, current bike is a defy composite that is good, comfort wise, fitted it with a shockstop stem which has certainly helped me to be able to ride further more comfortably but I'm tempted to change it up for either an endurace or a domane in order to have a comfortable rear end as well as the front end. Very much being pulled in three directions at the moment. Defy is already lovely and heavily upgraded but am sorely tempted by something new.
  • mfin
    johngti wrote:
    Last bit of the sentence - how do they compare comfort wise? Seems to me that it's two different solutions to the problem of improving on-bike comfort. I'd like to know if anyone has experience of both and can give a judgement of the effectiveness of each solution. The motivation is that a Donane is significantly more expensive than the canyon endurace is going for at the moment. If the VCLS system works as well as Trek's then that may be a more likely option for me.

Better?

Ah, so you are actually asking about a VCLS 2.0 seatpost on an Endurace vs a stock Trek Domane.

Your first post didn't say this, and when you don't specify the bike that has the VCLS seatpost it is difficult to answer.

Anyway, that's that bit covered, people might be able to answer now.
  • mfin
    johngti wrote:
    And to give it a bit more context, current bike is a defy composite that is good, comfort wise, fitted it with a shockstop stem which has certainly helped me to be able to ride further more comfortably but I'm tempted to change it up for either an endurace or a domane in order to have a comfortable rear end as well as the front end. Very much being pulled in three directions at the moment. Defy is already lovely and heavily upgraded but am sorely tempted by something new.

Does your bike fit properly'? Are you really old? Also, are you already running tyre pressures that aren't mad etc.

It sounds to me like you are after way more comfort than most cyclists.

Maybe you are one of these people that needs a bike running 28s or 32s in a relaxed position, that might help you more than a seatpost can.

....see what people say.

At least there's enough info to comment now, there wasn't before.
  • johngti
    Yep, bike fits well, 28mm tyres might be a benefit but won't fit the defy. More upright isn't really good for me as I tend to hunch my shoulders in an upright position or when my back gets "tired". A big part of it is the lust for something new and shiny if I'm honest. And if I'm going to spend actual money on changing the bike I'd like to know which of those two options is likely to be most comfortable. Is the trek premium worth it?
  • johngti
    And I sometimes feel really old - does that count?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Never ridden the Canyon but i do own a Trek Domane with front and rear isospeed.
    Very comfortable, mine isn't exactly upright as I've made some minor adjustments.
    Its worth a test ride if you can, when i first rode it i was amazed at the difference between the domane and my Emonda in terms of reducing road buzz. The 32mm tyres also make a big difference. Mine now has 28s on with the 32s being saved for winter.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I bought a 2nd hand VCLS 2/Ergon seatpost copy from ebay and it transformed the ride of my CR1 SL which I found quite harsh. Rear end is much more comfortable now, so I'd say it was the best £32 I've ever spent! Seems robust enough too so don't foresee it breaking anytime soon...link to the new versions are here, and they do more diameter choices than the original:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162484456637

I'd imagine fitting a VCLS post on any bike would provide a smoother feeling ride, without spending £000's on a new steed....I was actively looking at a Domane after getting fed up with the choppy ride on my CR1, as the local roads had really deteriorated. Saw this seat post going cheap so thought I'd try it. Not looking at the Domane anymore 8)

Will get one for my Crosslight too...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • johngti
    My problem is that the defy has a vector seatpost so aero shaped and impossible to replace. I have a defy 0 as a winter bike. That has a d-fuse seatpost so the same problem. On smooth roads the defy is sublime but north Kent has very few smooth roads! Probably going to bid on a nearly new domane 5.2 on eBay and see what happens.