Barguil sent packing

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited August 2017 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sunweb- ... r-tactics/

Sunweb are having a great season but the management seem all over the place at times. This is crazy.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    inseine wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sunweb-send-barguil-home-from-vuelta-after-disagreements-over-tactics/

Sunweb are having a great season but the management seem all over the place at times. This is crazy.

Well if he refuses to ride to team orders it doesn't seem that unreasonable. Whether the breakdown in communication lies more with the rider or management I don't know.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Perhaps more to do with revenge? as he is leaving giant/sunweb for a far smaller team, albeit on far better bikes lol!

as you said though, no one is bigger than the team.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    It's a team sport, with each rider having a role to play on every stage. If one of those riders refuses to do the work assigned to him, what are the team management supposed to do? If they let it go, then other riders will start to think they can skip their contributions and save their legs for their own opportunities, which means a team will struggle to achieve their collective goals at a race.

It's a tough call, but I think the team management absolutely did the right thing in this case.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    That's a major breakdown in the relationship.
  • Well, that all escalated rather quickly!!!
    What a fool....If I were the DS of his new team I think I might be having to have a VERY harsh word with him from the get go... it is after all, the team that pay your salary.I get he might be the equal of Kelderman, but that wasn't the plan.
    Good call, and fair play to The Sunweb management, he pushed and they pushed back, kinda left them nowhere else to go, other than to roll over, and I for one am glad they didn't.It sort of mirrors a lot of sports recently...I don't want to play/perform for you...I'm off!! Well Sunweb have stood their ground, well done I say!!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    andyp wrote:
    I think the team management absolutely did the right thing in this case.
    I imagine there is more to it than Barguil not dropping back to help Kelderman yesterday (I've heard that last year there was already a bit of friction between Barguil and Kelderman, mainly Barguil complaining Keldermann doesn't do his fair share when he - WK - is just a team member).
    Maybe it was team mismanagement nominating Barguil to ride with WK.