Is this Cervelo deal too good to be true?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Wheelbase are selling last year's Cervelo R3 Disc's at big discounts. On the basis of things being too good to be true, usually are, can someone explain what I'm missing here?

I know it's last year's model. I know Cervelo are doing a brand new line of Rs for 2018. I know others have got sales on, but not of this magnitude.

I haven't test ridden it yet, but am sorely keen just to bite the bullet on this. Please talk me down. Thanks

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    SO CHEAP!

Buy one. I loved mine but it had to make way for a CX bike.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This seems to be common practice at Wheelbase. A few years back I bagged a Trek Madone 5.9 with close to 40% discount. They are a genuine outfit so if you're tempted then go for it.

They are also offering big discounts on the Cannondale Slate and Supersix Evo
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    They are a genuine bike shop and do have some fantastic deals.

My advice would be to be decisive as I am pretty sure others know of the discount too and may be weighing up splashing the cash.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    edited August 2017
    I had a look at one a few weeks ago when i saw it for around about the same price. Seemed a great deal at first glance based on the discount but that is more about being overpriced in the first place. The tyre clearance was much less than i expected - i doubt you will be able to fit in wider than a 25c which for 'endurance' bike which is apparently made for Roubaix / Flanders type of riding isn't ideal. I also asked about changing the FSA chainset to an Ultegra one but the clearance at the chainstay is too tight for that.
  • Not the first bike I would look at buying. If I were to buy a Cervelo it would be an aero one. It's probably just not very popular. Better bikes out there of the same geometry with similar kit for much less.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Its not unusual to see previous years models at these kinds of discounts.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    The gearing is pretty steep if you line anywhere hilly, though you could easily swap the cassette for an 11-28.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Was chatting about this with the local dealer the other day, there's a design flaw with them, struggling to remember what it was but he seemed to think that was why they're going cheap.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sort of normal discount I'd be looking at when buying NOS.

Buy it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Not the first bike I would look at buying. If I were to buy a Cervelo it would be an aero one. It's probably just not very popular. Better bikes out there of the same geometry with similar kit for much less.
    Genuinely interested in which bikes then as I am seriously considering a Cervelo .
    I know online only like Canyon and Rose offer better value but would rather buy from a bike shop .
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    To offer a contrary view that Cervelo was overpriced to start with - it has now been reduced down to a good price.
    The Cannondale Synapse offer on that website is a better deal in my opinion - the big reduction is on what was decent value for money in the first place.
  • There are some good looking deals there....

1800 for a Cannondale CAAD12 Disc Ultegra...
  • I've bought one as a winter bike, being delivered on Tuesday.

I've spoken to a couple of Cervelo dealers who have said that you can fit a different chainset with no issues, and there's a quote online somewhere from Cervelo confirming it.
  • domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    The other Cervelo bargain I've seen is the S2 which is 1600 at primera sports.
  • letap73 wrote:
    To offer a contrary view that Cervelo was overpriced to start with - it has now been reduced down to a good price.
    The Cannondale Synapse offer on that website is a better deal in my opinion - the big reduction is on what was decent value for money in the first place.

This was kind of what I meant. It's not a bad bike. Cervelo are lovely bikes but I know so many better bikes for the same or similar quality cheaper. For the money asked I would have thought a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 is a much better deal or even a Scott Addict team issue. Sure neither have discs but they ain't an essential item.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Thanks for all the tips. Glad to see I wasn't missing anything obvious.

The synapse is a great deal as well. Question is whether I go for head or heart.
  • arlowood wrote:
    This seems to be common practice at Wheelbase. A few years back I bagged a Trek Madone 5.9 with close to 40% discount. They are a genuine outfit so if you're tempted then go for it.

They are also offering big discounts on the Cannondale Slate and Supersix Evo

Yep, my SuperSix from them turned up yesterday. All good, decent service from them.
  • 33davies
    33davies Posts: 13
    Have to say the Supersix EVO Hi Mod etap looks fantastic...

I had my bike written off 10 weeks ago after being hit off by a car and am waiting for the claim through the drivers insurance. Every day that passes it seems I'm missing out on some exceptional deals.