Netflix "Icarus" documentary on doping

burnthesheep
burnthesheep Posts: 675
edited August 2017 in The cake stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoRdSTrR-4

Just finished this........just wow.

I mean I knew it was bad in all sports, but just wow. It ruins a lot of perceptions of achievement that despite what you knew was a sham among a few athletes makes it worse.

We knew of the falls of Bonds, McGuire, Lance Armstrong.........etc...

For me it calls into question things like the meteoric rise and fall of people like Tiger Woods even. From a shrimpy and talented college golfer to a muscle bound 300-lb benchpress golf monster. Then suddenly as soon as the PGA announces doping testing, he can't stay healthy. He falls.

Is there even a point to watch the Olympics? The Tour?

It was kind of weird and gross to watch the guy in the beginning working with him to try out the stuff himself to prove it possible to bypass the testing. If you go to the doctor and need a test, so be it. But screw needles and pills, yuck.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    The Russian scandal isn't really about doping though; it's highlighting how deep the terror state is still entrenched, and how it still operates similarly to the way it did 40-50 years ago.

That's how I read it anyway.

Sport is trivial. If they're killing and arresting sports ministers spuriously for trivial things like sport, the situation is pretty bad.
  • The Russian scandal isn't really about doping though; it's highlighting how deep the terror state is still entrenched, and how it still operates similarly to the way it did 40-50 years ago.

That's how I read it anyway.

Sport is trivial. If they're killing and arresting sports ministers spuriously for trivial things like sport, the situation is pretty bad.

I forgot to use the "search" tool this go around. :mrgreen:

Disregard.