Last Night

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,944
edited August 2017 in The cake stop
I went for a quick ride around our favourite loop with my my son (grown up son BTW).

We were just on the homeward leg of this when I felt a sharp pain in the back, I'd been hit by something, something thrown from a car. In the first second, I thought I'd been cut because I felt my back and it was all wet. Then thought it was something like rotten fruit or veg, but there was no smell to the wetness, it was later that i found it to be egg.

The car went past, 3 partially shaved chimps inside shouting and gesticulating, tried to cut up son who was on the front at the time (I'd dropped back a way). We accelerated, but had no hope of catching them, and they turned off our route about 200m further on.

A couple of miles later, they passed again, chucked something else that hit me on the back of the leg. Again, it was a great laugh for the morons, they turned off our path again, only to return for another pass minutes later.

I rode to son's house and dropped him off. He checked the registration number I'd taken using his smartphone, but it came up as another vehicle (changed plates?). I then rode home via a couple of pub carparks and village square to see if i could find the car (perhaps not the wisest of moves). Got home feeling thoroughly pissed off, furious and generally shook up. The ride home was very unnerving, dark by now, tensing at every passing car.

It's not happened to me before although I have had a few shouty moments in the past. For someone to deliberately target me though (as a random cyclist), is upsetting, and doesn't do a lot for my confidence.

I called it into the police, have an incident number but suspect that's all I'll get from it.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ah mate, this is sh1te. :(

All I can say is that you should seek comfort in the randomness of it because it probably was exactly that. If they'd shouted "Slog, you w@nker!" as they did it, then I'd be more worried that it might happen again.

Get back out on the bike, as soon as possible, would be my advice.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    PITA - stupid people.

Might be worth looking at one of those Fly Cameras to record your rear view - but its very unlikely that you'll get trouble again.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sucks :(

I've had a handful of lose change lobbed at me while cycling up a hill, which clattered off my frame.

On another occasion I was stood on a path after a long ride chatting to my riding buddy before we went our own ways when someone lobbed a wet shammy at me from a passing white van. Hit me in the small of the back.

Some people are just dicks.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Sucks. But anyone who has gone to the bother of changing plates is going to be trouble.
    Retribution should be avoided. Or done very sneakily.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Look on the bright side, you'll be able to make an omelette!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    If it makes ya feel better, I had something similar, only rather than throwing eggs, they were pushing cyclists off.

They missed the guy behind me; I wasn't so lucky. Guy had his torso out of the window. First I knew of it was as I hit the ground with my hip on the curb.

It fractured my pelvis.
  • capt_slog
    If it makes ya feel better, I had something similar, only rather than throwing eggs, they were pushing cyclists off.

They missed the guy behind me; I wasn't so lucky. Guy had his torso out of the window. First I knew of it was as I hit the ground with my hip on the curb.

It fractured my pelvis.

This is the sort of thing that is worrying me. They might graduate to half bricks or worse when they get fed up of using eggs.

• rick_chasey
    Yeah, it sucks.

Never felt the same on the bike since tbh.
  • capt_slog
    Yeah, it sucks.

Never felt the same on the bike since tbh.

I can understand that. I've always been a bit unsure when out alone and on some isolated lanes, I'll be more cagey in future.

• rick_chasey
    Not much you can do tbh.

FWIW, I got back on the bike as soon as I could (before I could walk as it turns out) to try and get over it.

Get back on the horse etc.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I got back on the bike as soon as I could (before I could walk as it turns out

Same for me when I broke my leg. Easier to cycle than walk.

As for reporting it to the Po-po, you may well hear nothing, but if it happens again/has happened before and they eventually catch the cretins it just builds more of a case if there are more reports.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I had the egg treatment when walking the dog one night. I got back home and went out in the garden which backed on to the road where it occurred with a stone waiting for the car to come back again but unfortunately it didn't so I missed out on my chance to 'have a laugh'.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    yes had the egg treatment, litre bottle of water, Mcdonalds milk shake, fortunately the worst of it misses most of the time, just have to clean it off once home, but have had some small hard fruit,might even have been a stone, some kids were catapulting at people, that caught my calf and that stung like hell for a while.

some people are right see you next tuesdays unfortunately. whether the police do anything as a whole about it I dont know, I know sometimes they do, read on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-41041985 the police were investigating a brown sauce attack on a car !?! , yet I know some work colleagues who were over from India who got egged just walking along a street, and the police simply just recorded it.
  • muso_stu
    muso_stu Posts: 74
    Sorry to hear about that. Hope you're not too shaken up: A nice evening ride ruined by idiots.

I got shot in the leg with a BB gun once, which stung for a while. Also, a teenager got me with a water pistol while leaning out the back of a Ford Galaxy. Not really a huge deal, but made worse by the fact it was being driven by a middle aged lady (presumably his mum) who was laughing about it! Great parenting. Great neighbourhood. At least it was just water, though. Egg? Yuck.

I've had much worse, but for some reason those ones stick in my memory the clearest.

Actually being pushed off the bike, though? That makes me shudder.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Not much you can do tbh.

FWIW, I got back on the bike as soon as I could (before I could walk as it turns out) to try and get over it.

Get back on the horse etc.
    And console yourself that their life must be pretty dismal if lobbing an egg at someone is the highlight of their evening.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition