CO2 Cylinders on the A38

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited September 2017 in Road general
This is a bit of a weird one but I just thought that I would ask about it on the off chance that somebody knew what was going on. I was riding down the A38 (between Whitminster and Gloucester) on Tuesday when I noticed a couple of [presumably empty] CO2 cylinders by the side of the road. My first thought was that some poor sod had got (and repaired) a puncture and my second was that there was really no excuse for just dumping the empty cylinders by the side of the road. After a little while, I noticed another cylinder and then another a few yards further on and eventually counted about 25 of the things over a couple of miles before I turned off. Now there was either a lot of litter lout cyclists with punctures at the same time (unlikely) or they had just been dumped by a non-cyclist as I cannot see that even the most risk averse amongst us would be carrying 25 CO2 cylinders at once! Anyone got a scooby what was going on?
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    oh the innocence of the elderly

Its the new high for kids to inhale the stuff
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    FFS - don''t try to do it with our cylinders ! Different gas ! ;-)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Hazard being left in the road too - hit one of those the wrong way and you won't be laughing.
  • ayjaycee
    Fenix wrote:
    Hazard being left in the road too - hit one of those the wrong way and you won't be laughing.

If fatdaddy is serious (and I'm still not sure!), I suspect that the last thing to concern the little w4nkers is going to be littering or leaving hazards behind then.

Maybe I am starting to show my age.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - I bet it's NOS
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • One way to tell is if they are threaded. NoS canisters are predominantly non threaded - also you get CO2 non threaded for beer pumps etc. Whereas the ones you use for pumping up your tyres will have a threaded top.
  • Great thread

2/10
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjaycee
    Whereas the ones you use for pumping up your tyres will have a threaded top.
    Not quite - I've got a CO2 pump that swings both ways!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Whereas the ones you use for pumping up your tyres will have a threaded top.
    Not quite - I've got a CO2 pump that swings both ways!

An AC/DC pump. Well I never. It take it it's happy going with anything?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    why cant you use NOS for doing your tyres ? ...... it would at least make taking the tire off an amusing job
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    haha! Ahh the innocence :)
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    fat daddy wrote:
    why cant you use NOS for doing your tyres ? ...... it would at least make taking the tire off an amusing job

You might blow the welds out of your inlet manifold!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a nightclub round the corner from me and can hear the woosh of NO3 when the club is open. Quite tempted to try and sell some of the clubbers some of my CO2 cartridges and make quick exit :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    NOS, Mamba and all this modern crap - what was wrong with the recreational drugs of our youth?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • oxoman wrote:
    Much prefered evostick in a bag. :lol:

I once did the stoopid thing if swapping the tubs on a set of carbon rims in the garage with the door closed. Peeled of old glue and recemented the rims. 30 mins later I was floating on the ceiling.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    What is wrong with good old fashioned Heroin or PCP!!! Kids these days.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    frisbee wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

You don't want to do this into your best Assos.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    frisbee wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should.
  • ayjaycee
    Just to wrap this thread up, I saw an article on Page 17 of The Times today talking about the whole issue of Nitrous Oxide and recently collapsed cases for illegal use. The article was complete with a photo of a cylinder that looked exactly like it had been run over at the roadside and it's just a pity that I read it a week after posting the original question and thus showing my complete ignorance of modern methods of substance abuse. Obviously, I should get out more (or is that get out of it more?).
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Just to wrap this thread up, I saw an article on Page 17 of The Times today talking about the whole issue of Nitrous Oxide and recently collapsed cases for illegal use. The article was complete with a photo of a cylinder that looked exactly like it had been run over at the roadside and it's just a pity that I read it a week after posting the original question and thus showing my complete ignorance of modern methods of substance abuse. Obviously, I should get out more (or is that get out of it more?).

That case should never of been allowed to go to court. In trying to prosecute a reasonably tame form of substance misuse they could have completely wrecked a law prohibiting the sale of so called legal highs off the back of it. Something that really does need clamping down on. Quite irresponsible by the CPS that one.