Frame Size help on Cannondale Synapse

shaun668
shaun668 Posts: 52
edited August 2017 in Road general
Are Cannondale bike frames bigger than other manufacturers ?I've brought myself a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultrega Disc in a 58 frame, but I'm not too sure if the frame is too big for me as it feels bigger than my Trek Emonda S5 which is a 58 frame.
I'm 6 foot with an inside leg measurement of 33.5 inches and looking at the charts this bike should fit but i'm now having my doubts.
I'm struggling to get comfy on the Cannondale the reason I got this bike is that i'm getting on a bit at 49 and have lower back problems and wanted a more comfortable bike and the Synapse ticked all the right boxes but the reach on this seems to be longer, i've put a shorter stem on but still can't get it right.
I'm wondering what frame size other members are using and their recommendations for Cannondale?

Comments

• I'm 5'10" with ~32.5" cycling inseam (using book wedging method and a wall), my legs are like a more normal ~5'6" person and my large torso is more normal for someone ~6'1". I bought the 58cm Cube...

https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-ra ... hred-2016/

Now comparing that to the 58cm Cannondale...
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20Br ... 8a4d20906f

The stack is the is fractionally higher on the Synapse, 610 vs 611mm.

But more crucially, the reach is longer too on the Synapse, 388 vs 394mm.

I suspect the 58cm Cannondale would stretch me out just a fraction too much, as I also have a lower back issue, which has been much better in the last ~14 months. Flipping the stem (so it points upwards) would help reduce the reach a fraction, while a 1-2cm shorter stem would help further, at the cost of more twitchy steering without fitting a wider set of bars.

Have you tried anything close to 75cm BB to saddle top, with the saddle all the way forward on the rails, with the stem pointing up? Looking at my Cube with ~72cm, that is still going to put your saddle ~5cm above the height of the bars, whereas my bars are ~2cm lower at maximum with the stem in the downward position.

Handy stem comparison tool http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php (flipping my stem would reduce reach by 8mm and increase stack by 26mm)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • shaun668
    Thanks NitrousOxide for your detailed reply, the stem comparison is very interesting. I currently have a 90mm 17 Degree, think it might be worth playing around with this.

I adjusted the saddle forward on my last ride yesterday but it wasn't comfy my knees are aching this morning.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sounds like the frame is too long TBH - get a 56 with a more normal stem. You can bodge the 58 to get a reasonable fit but it will never be right.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I assume you did not try it for size in a shop and purchased online? If you haven't ridden it much contact the retailer and ask if you can swop it for the 56cm, if they have one? Otherwise your options are either bodge it to try and make it fit, though you will probably not be happy with it, or try and sell it on and start again.
  • shaun668
    I purchased it from Evans and they have a 30 day exchange so i'll be going back there to try a 56 frame, I went for a quick ride on the bike and they made a few adjustments but since i've had it I can't get comfy on it.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I think chat with Cube is go a size lower? I once had a sit on a 56cm synapse, at the time I was riding a triban 540 large size with 100cm stem. I felt more stretched out on the synapse, but only slightly.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'm 6'1 and a bit" and ride a 56 Synapse Carbon which fits me to perfection (with the OEM 110mm stem). We are all different but I have never heard anybody say that they have found Synapse uncomfortable provided it is the right size and fitted correctly. Indeed, mine is as comfy as a comfy thing that's just won a most comfy thing competition.

Suggest you do indeed return to Evans and try a 56.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I'm about 6' and ride 56cm cannonade.
    You can't compare bikes by simply using one number - you need to look at the geometry or at least look at stack and reach figures.

The Edmondo figures for a 58cm frame are: stack 59.6. reach 39.1, angle 73
    The Synapse figures for a 58cm frame are: stack 61.1. reach 39.4, angle 73

So the synapse is bigger.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I'm 6ft 1"+ with 34.5" inseam and had a 56cm Synapse carbon with a 130cm stem.The fit was fine, but always thought it was overrated. hence it got sold.
  • shaun668
    I've ridden the 56 frame and the difference is like night and day, so gone for this one as the shop will do a straight swap.
    Thanks for all your help and advice.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    6wheels wrote:
    I'm 6ft 1"+ with 34.5" inseam and had a 56cm Synapse carbon with a 130cm stem.The fit was fine, but always thought it was overrated. hence it got sold.

If you always thought it overrated, it does beg the question why buy it in the first place?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Happy days at swap to smaller frame. :)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    ayjaycee wrote:
    6wheels wrote:

If you always thought it overrated, it does beg the question why buy it in the first place?

I've never had a test ride of any bike that I have purchased in the last forty years. I know my fit on a bike, therefore , just take the risk, but it doesn't always work out. Saying that, I've bought a few frames and three of them made to measure which makes it difficult to test ride.

shaun668- Didn't mean to come across negative, wish you all the best with your new bike. :)
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Singleton wrote:

The Edmondo figures for a 58cm frame are: stack 59.6. reach 39.1, angle 73
    The Synapse figures for a 58cm frame are: stack 61.1. reach 39.4, angle 73

So the synapse is bigger.

....or the difference is next to f**k all!

However I am the guy who cant tell one set of wheels from some 200gms lighter or my 105 shifters from my ultegra so you cant expect me to realise that my hands are 5mm higher and 3mm further away. :D