Hub cones alright?

FSPTN
FSPTN Posts: 13
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Hi all, I'm new to bike maintenance, and I'm not exactly "mechanically-minded" so forgive the n00b questions. I'm looking to overhaul the hubs on my old bike, do these cones look overly worn or are they alright? Also any recommendations for grease?

XrcsFZS.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    From the photos they look fine. As long as there are no pits or grooves in the bearing track they are good. I just use cheap Marine grease found at Auto supply stores. It resists moisture a little better than most but it's really not all that crucial. Also can be used on bolt threads, bottom brackets, headsets, seatposts, etc. One grease for almost the entire bike. Most greases will work fine for your bearings.
  • FSPTN
    I've never seen any out-of-the-box so I don't really know what pitted/grooved means in relation to a brand new set. They look grooved to me, but maybe that's how they're supposed to look. I'll see if I can pick up some marine grease then. Cheers!
  • crankycrank
    Use your fingernail to detect any rough surfaces or uneven surfaces. There is a clear silver line where the balls contact the cones but it does not appear to be a groove. This is normal so should be OK but use the fingernail test or a magnifying glass to be sure.
  • FSPTN
    Thanks for the tip! I just ran my finger round them and one of them has a small chip in it, does it need replacing?

pNRvTXt.jpg?1
  • crankycrank
    Ah, yes that one is damaged. You could still ride on that for a short time if necessary but replace as soon as you can and replace the bearing balls as well. They're cheap and most bike shops will have them in stock.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mark the cone with paint at the damage and when you fit the wheel make sure the Pit faces upwards so the balls aren't under load when passing it, I kept a damaged rear cone going for over 1000miles like that when cash was tight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.