RD wont change down onto 6th sprocket

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Hi,
I have an usual problem that my goupset works fine except when I want the rear derailleur to change down from the 5th to the 6th sprocket. I think it hesitates with a bit of clicking,
It shifts from 5th to 7th ok and I change back up from 7th to 6th no problems.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
The groupset is Ultegra Di2.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Bizarrely today it would shift down from 5th down to 6th but it would hesitate. You could hear the chain clicking for a few seconds then it would go in.
    Shifts the other way, 7th upto 6th straight away no problem.
    I'm convinced there's no crash damage to the hangar. There's a bit of left - right play in the rear wheel by a few mm. I don't think it's the skewer that's loose and I've just replaced it. Could it be the wheel hub?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:
    There's a bit of left - right play in the rear wheel by a few mm

That's definitely not right. The rear wheel shouldn't move at all (apart from going round and round, obviously). Until you find out the cause of that movement, I wouldn't bother trying to fix the shifting. The shifting problem is almost certainly caused by the play.
  • Agree with electronshepherd. What type of wheels are they? If cup and cone type bearings, then you can fix yourself easily. If sealed bearing, then likely one of the bearings isn't seated correctly and probably best to take in.