Evans Cycles junk email - out of order!

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Does anyone else have problems with bucket loads of junk email crap from Evans, despite repeated unsubscriptions?

It's got to the point now where I'm intentionally avoiding buying from them so that they don't re-subscribe me to their junk again without my permission. There seems to be no way to avoid this. As well as unsubscribing using the link I've tried emailing them several times - the last time they didn't even bother replying, and now I am getting the junk despite not having made any recent purchases and having unsubscribed several times since the last purchase.

They will certainly lose my custom as a result of this - a pity, because in the past I've found them quite convenient for purchasing for delivery to a local store.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is it a huge problem ? Put a filter on to send it to spam ? Sorted.
  • neeb
    cougie wrote:
    I suppose if I never buy anything from them again that would be an option - but if I do I'd need to toggle the filter on and off to be sure of receiving legitimate emails.

It's not a huge problem obviously but it's an annoyance, bad customer relations and shows an aggressive / unenlightened marketing policy. If no-one complains about it they'll just keep doing it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    neeb wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I suppose if I never buy anything from them again that would be an option - but if I do I'd need to toggle the filter on and off to be sure of receiving legitimate emails.

It's not a huge problem obviously but it's an annoyance, bad customer relations and shows an aggressive / unenlightened marketing policy. If no-one complains about it they'll just keep doing it.

So grow a pair and buy somewhere else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • More and more you get this. I've bought in the past from Evans, CRC, Wiggle, and Merlin. I'd say I get 3-4 e-mails per day from these 4 offenders, but I wouldn't have Evans as the main offender, probably CRC/Wiggle is worse....
  • neeb
    Weirdly I haven't had much of an issue with Wiggle despite multiple purchases. Of course I always hit the unsubscribe link if I get an email - if it's just the odd email every few weeks that's fine. But with Evans it seems there's no way to stop them coming in every other day. Maybe it's dependent on your customer profile or something - I've bought a lot of expensive stuff from Wiggle over the years but have mainly used Evans for regular purchases of big tubs of High 5 recovery powder (because I can pick them up from the store a day or two after ordering).
  • But clicking unsubscribe links in spam e-mails has always lead to getting more spam, in my experience.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • neeb wrote:
    regular purchases of big tubs of High 5 recovery powder

Loads-of-Money_2998965k.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Use gmail. It magically sorts the promotions stuff from your order updates. One goes into one part of the inbox called promotions the other into another surprisingly called updates.

You can then set notifications to only happen when an email comes into updates.

I clear out my promotions folder daily. It will have around 40 emails in it every day (usually there's one from Wiggle in there) which only need a quick glance, no need to even open, before deleting.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I buy from Evans and don't get anything. Worst offender for junk in my experience, is Cycling Weekly. I must have gone through the unsubscribe process with them around 10 times now. They're now confined to spam and get auto junked.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I buy quite a bit from Evans but rarely get any emails.

At the moment the junk is all coming from Ribble. I'm getting the same cr@p on a daily basis from them, sometimes more than 1 email on the same day. Unsubscribed but the emails still keep coming. Now marked as junk so i don't see them unless i check that folder.

Must admit, it's got to the point where i will now not purchase from them as its ridiculous.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    You could just ignore and delete them?

Rubble are the biggest PITA in my opinion, a while back they had somebody with a very loose grip of the English language sending spam. Add in 10% off codes which exclude things I might want to buy and they're a nuisance.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    ChippyK wrote:
    You could just ignore and delete them?

Rubble are the biggest PITA in my opinion, a while back they had somebody with a very loose grip of the English language sending spam. Add in 10% off codes which exclude things I might want to buy and they're a nuisance.

Scratch that, Planet X with interminable sales emails which usually end up with the frame set I wanted costing more with the 'discount' code than before.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I get all these mails. Doesn't bother me and occasionally I'll nab a bargain from them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. And now from Screwfix, my new favourite shop. I read most of them cos I can't resist a bargain.

The most annoying is Ryanair and holiday parking. I use them at most once a year, and I choose when and where we go. I don't need 5 emails a week. And I can always find parking cheaper than the purported 10% saving in the email offers.

Virgin Media randomly chucks some of them into the spam folder; no rhyme or reason to it. Occasionally I find a proper email in there.

I can't remember what I used to do with the time I currently spend deleting emails....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Email is free, so just use different emails. I use one for all online shopping, so it gets all the spam, junk and sometimes decent offers, one for 'official' stuff like tax and banks etc, and one for personal stuff. Neither of those get any junk or spam.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Try signing up to Sport Pursuit - you'll be up to three emails a day from them!

And yes, Cycling Weekly - I have received two from them so far today already! Fortunately deleting emails on a smartphone is just a case of a swipe and tap. It's the price we pay (ho ho) for cheap internet goods, folks.