How to identify shifter

Blader1611
Blader1611 Posts: 29
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Is there any way to identify easily if the tiagra 4700 shifter is for a double or a triple? I bought one off ebay but i have a nagging feeling its for a triple,if so i am going to ask for a refund as i think it should have been listed as 4703. Is there a stamp or an obvious difference or should i just fit it and count the clicks?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't even fit it. Just hold the cable tight in your hand and operate it with the other to feel if it's for a double or triple.

I assume you are waiting for it to arrive and you don't know the answer yet, so you're just thinking out loud on here.

If it's gonna arrive (or has), see above, and work it out then.
  • Yeah i have it but a quick fettle made me think i felt 2 clicks on operation. I was kinda hoping it would have a model number stamp somewhere. Would it be harsh to seek a refund as it was advertised as a 4700 shifter but technically triples are 4703?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Blader1611 wrote:
    Yeah i have it but a quick fettle made me think i felt 2 clicks on operation. I was kinda hoping it would have a model number stamp somewhere. Would it be harsh to seek a refund as it was advertised as a 4700 shifter but technically triples are 4703?

I don't know.

Instead of asking for a refund, why not contact the bloke and simply ask if it is for a double or a triple as you think it is a triple?

If he confirms it is for a triple, then ask if he'd be happy to have you return it, and mention 4703 in passing.

Or... just sell it on for what it is? (on here)

It depends what you think is the least hassle, and I assume it cost very little, so absorbing postage and things might be something that concerns you?

I'd start with doing what I said, the reply will give you a good insight into the seller and who knows, he might say "sorry, send it back and I'll refund you" or "I'll refund you and you can just keep it" you just don't know until you open up communications ...if I'm selling anything I treat people like they are nice people, want the goods tomorrow and have been saving up for it, you might find the seller is like this.
  • I have contacted the seller and all he said was pull the rubber back and it should tell you as he cant remember. The cynic in me suggests he knew full well what he was doing as triples are hard to sell.
  • Ok i can now confirm that the FD is 105 5700, the shifter has a stamp on it saying its 4700, do you think they will stamp a triple with 4703 or leave it as 4700 to signify which series its in?

EDIT: just discovered on compatibility chart that 4700 and 105 5700 are not compatible so that at least clears one thing up.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Left hand triple shifter should be stamped 4703. (My 105 triple is stamped 5703)

You're right in that the newest 10 speed Tiagra has a different cable pull from the old 10 speed 105

There was a spate of failed 4700 LH shifters when they first introduced it. You sure the one you have is working?