cycle from malpensa airport milan to Mennagio

Mallorca1
Mallorca1 Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone done this

I want to cycle straight out of the airport - avoiding the big roads/toll roads

i would be on the road probably around 9 am - so it would be light, riding a road bike, im a reasonable club rider

regards

stuart

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,006
    No, but once you hit Como just stick as close to the lake as you can and you will avoid the tunnels on the western shore.

For example, there will be some big blue signs just before Cernobbio saying "MENNAGIO", don't follow them. Instead stick with the water on your right and go from village to village following the white signs.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    I haven't seen small roads around Malpensa, but I'd be curious to know if you find one.
    left the forum March 2023
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    If no small roads maybe jump on the train for a few stops?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There are roads to the airport. People will be cycling to work there.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    For example, there will be some big blue signs just before Cernobbio saying "MENNAGIO", don't follow them. Instead stick with the water on your right and go from village to village following the white signs.
    We have friends in Cernobbio, small world.

I was at Malpensa last week, have to say I haven't seen local roads however they must exist. You don't say what time of the year you're going, summr is fine but later in the year there's usually a lot of fog early in the morning so be careful.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Strava could help you, try doing a segment search around Malpensa. Google maps certainly reveals a lot of back roads up to Como.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • I remember Besnate is not far and the roads are non-motorway, but I've only ever driven on these roads up to Como and none were what you would call quiet.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    As I've just stated in another thread, main line trains run in and out of Malpoensa and there are regular coaches to all major nearby cities so you could move to a preferred area or region quickly and stress free!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP