Are bulk powders healthy to take everyday?

thebikerdude93
thebikerdude93 Posts: 15
Hi I eat/drink bulk powders each day and on exercise days I have 2 shakes a day.

My main concern is will these bulk powders have any effect on my health later on in life? The rest of my diet is healthy but lacks quantity (I am quite poor) and that is why I use bulk powders because it is a cheap and easy method to get the calories that I need. Is it safe to have something in raw form?

Would be neat to get some tips on this. Thank you

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    protein powder ie whey .. is perfectly safe, its just a dairy derivative.

But the "bulk" they put into mass gainers is some cheap ass sh1te that I wouldn't touch ... eat some proper carbs ... ie Oats .. they are cheap and plentiful and good for you
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    you say it's "to get the calories" which suggests carbs rather than protein, exactly what powder are you talking about?

living on high glycaemic index carbs probably isn't a good idea long term

as above, oats are cheap (especially if you can buy online, not teeny packs from supermarket etc.), also lentils, beans etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • In my current training plan and the book it comes from, it basically says that if you aren't on a training plan for an experienced CAT 1 racer or faster to forget all the pre/post workout garbage powders and drinks and stuff.

You do need to weigh yourself before/after longer training or races to replace fluids lost. And eat properly before, during, and after longer efforts. But for general day to day workouts of 75min or less, they didn't really advocate for anything other than a properly balanced diet including all the protein, carbs, veggies, and other nutrients you need.

If you're a track racer who squats 1000 lbs on the rack several days a week and is a track sprinter, this may not be valid and you could use that stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you're a track racer who squats 1000 lbs on the rack several days a week and is a track sprinter, this may not be valid and you could use that stuff.

i think you are confusing trackies with body builders. Track endurance riders would not be doing any of that and even sprinters would be unlikely to push weights that often.
  • Imposter wrote:

i think you are confusing trackies with body builders. Track endurance riders would not be doing any of that and even sprinters would be unlikely to push weights that often.

Agreed. I was just trying to make the point that almost none of us NEED to use the stuff.

I was talking about a Forstemann kind of trackie. Basically a body builder who rides a bike on a track sometimes.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    I don't get that your saying the rest of your diet is healthy yet your poor and your supplementing with bulk powders which aren't especially cheap and yet as the others have pointed out oats are so cheap in comparison
  • Silly question perhaps but what are the ingredients of the bulking powder.

Something like the oats mentioned above and even supplementing with protein if you wanted to keep satiety in check for longer.

Interestingly there are quite a few papers suggesting that protein turnover and replacement is higher in endurance athletes due to the sustained and prolonged damage that occurs.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Crap basically, ingredients to put mass body weight on, used by hard gainers/body builders looking to achieve fast mass, theirs a lot of differant stuff though. Mostly they look like tubby the tuba when they get undressed the gyms are full of them I'm no expert though as its about the last thing a cyclist would shovel down them I'm surprised it's being asked on here to be honest, however to answer the question, personally even if I was looking to gain weight it's not something I would take, short term gain long term pain
  • Thanks for the replies really appreciate it. The stuff I am having is https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/complete- ... blend.html My legs are stick thin and if I stopped taking this stuff I can see that my weight would go down to underweight. I am probabaly under weight at the moment anyway at 6ft3 and 11 stone before I started taking this stuff my weight was 9 stone 10 :/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    leaving aside medical problems, if you are dropping weight it's because calories out > calories in

it you're not getting enough carbs (and fats) then your body can metabolise protein to burn for energy, but it's less efficient (and also likely to be a more expensive way of getting calories!)

bear in mind that protein tends to suppress appetite

if you are losing muscle mass due to insufficient energy input, i don't think throwing protein powder at the problem is the answer

eat more carbs!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30012 ... otein-fat/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    As a slight aside Ive found eating 2 boiled eggs and banana a great on the bike feed. I don't get home and feel the need to demolish the bread bin any more !
  • jessand
    jessand Posts: 45
    You're riding a bike (getting good exercise) and want to increase weight on a budget? Good carbs and protein can be found in any supermarket, are easy to prepare and digest (for most people anyway).
    Try oat flakes from Lidl, make great porridge 76p kilo
    Pasta spirals from Morrisons just add sauce of your choice 70p kilo
    Wholemeal or mixed grain/ granary bread freshly baked for less than £1 large loaf. 800g
    I cite these particular brand because I use them but variations available in all supermarkets. Allergies aside, all well established safe healthy foods. The only downside is they can cause you to put on weight!!