Vibrations normal on rocky trails/downhills?

penski
penski Posts: 124
edited August 2017 in MTB general
I am finding that when I am doing fast downhills or trails which are rockey, or even on cobbles, the vibrations on my hands are quite extreme to the point where I have to really hold on tight or my hands might vibrate off the bars due to the rattling and eventual soreness.

Is this normal for MTB bikes? I had thought that my fork would dampen most of the chatter.

I have a Commencal Meta AM V4 which has a Rockshox Pike RC SoloAir, and a Monarch RT3 shock.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what you mean by extreme.

Shouldn't be that bad if your fork is set up properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Had this on mine, ran lower pressure in front tyre (20-25psi on 28x2.3) and fitted a token to my fork so I could run it a bit softer. My fork is a Reba, I think you can do the same with Pikes.

Also try changing grips??
  • I had a similar problem on my ht, was running my tyres higher psi then usual with out knowing and this caused me some uncomfortableness when riding.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I changed to fatter grips and that worked for me. I was getting sore wrists and forearms due to vibrations - old rigid bike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's the Monarch RT3. Useless high speed damping. Change it for a coil shock or a top quality air shock with separate high and low speed damping adjustment.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Ive just done 4 days DH riding in the Austrian alps, so the subject is something ive thought a lot about. Yes you need to get your suspension set up well, get your rebound at the sweet spot, but equally important is your braking style. Things got WAY better for me when i realised that over-use of moderate braking is what is wrecking my hands, not my suspension. I started braking hard and early, and letting go whenever possible, for as long as possible. My hands were significantly less fatigued when i did this. Also make a concerted effort not to brake over the actual rough stuff, this is what really wrecks your hands.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Braking forces go through the suspension so while you're braking, your suspension can't work effectively.
    Braking should be done as needed only, never drag the brakes, especially on Alpine trails.
  • neilus
    Yep thats exactly what i learned - braking while suspension is working should be avoided as much as possible. Very valuable lesson to learn.
    RM did you give any more thought to Saalbach? You really outta check it out. Cant recommend it enough, great resort. Did my first black, X-Line, fantastic trail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kJ_9ZDICU&t=19s
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm afraid I won't be going any time soon. I've got back in to rock climbing in a big way so I'm saving for a trip to Yosemite to climb El Capitan.
  • neilus
    Sounds like a good plan. Thats an awesome sport (?) to be involved with.
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    Thanks for thoughts & advice

I'm going to insert a token or 2 into the Pike, lower the air pressure accordingly.

Then re-assess the pressure in air tyres, and perhaps look into thicker/better grips