tuesday and all the poetry books start to burn in their crates

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,434
edited August 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

early ride then laziness shall reign today, cafes, stock up at the smiley dinosaur, sunbed

scorchio
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, a cloudy but mild start to the day here, not much to do today has I have every thing under control in the garden, so agood ride will be in order
    Have a good day
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Looked out the window and thought it looked a bit damp, checked a variety of weather forecasting stuff and all said light cloud and no rain. Even the radar picture showed no rain. No matter how many times I looked out the window it definitely looked like it was raining, so I thought the window must be faulty. Turned out not only are all my windows faulty but so am I, it really felt like rain as I rode in as well. Bumped into a former neighbour standing under an umbrella by the station and he confirmed that it wasn't raining.
    Now sat at work, rather moist.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Glorious day here, 21 deg C, sunny. Shame I had to waste it working round here. :x Bolted timber bits together. Mixed concrete for a footing reinforcement. Painted an exterior wall, or most of it anyway. Cleaned pool.

Drinkies time.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Club ride day .. Lost my glasses on the ride .. damned fog making me take them off ..... and then broke my very first spoke .... that was fun, one second I am 4th wheel and POP !!! .... the next second I am spat out the back with my rear wheel slamming into the brake pads on every turn

..... time to learn how to play with wheels .... whoop
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    No rain for me. V humid though - completely red sweaty mess when I arrived at the office.

I did forget to put one of those neutralising tablets in my hydrogen peroxide contact lens solution last night, so burnt off the top layer of my cornea this morning when putting in a contact lens. Bl00dy hell that hurt. Still doesn't feel right now.

Saw some motorcyclist completely lose his sh!t with a car driver. No idea why, but he was calling her all the coonts under the sun, and whacking her wing mirror. I think she took a photo of him and his numberplate, because he yelled "report me all you fcking like you fcuking bitch", then roared off, like d!ck motorcyclists do.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Only one in the office today, had a good conference call with the other offices earlier and managed to prove yet again that I am completely socially awkward. Nothing exciting going on today

Running before work, climbing after, I know which I prefer...
  • veronese68
    fat daddy wrote:
    Changing a spoke is easy. Is it drive side? If so you need to take the cassette off. Work out the length of the spoke you need, ideally take the old one with you so you can match it. Bike shops don't like it if you walk in and say you need a spoke with no further information. Hopefully there is enough sticking out that you can unscrew it from the nipple, unthread the other end from the hub. Poke the new spoke through the hub and thread it through the other spokes in the same way others on that side and pointing the same way are. Then tighten the nipple until it feels about the same tension as the others on that side of the wheel. Pinging the spoke and listening to the pitch is a good indication of tension. Check the wheel still runs true and bob's your uncle.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Dank day here lots of rain last few days and its turned humid so its not at all pleasant. Maybe that's what you had Veronese, upward rain as the moisture comes up out the ground?

Feeling rather strange today mix of leg ache sore throat and weirdly sensitive skin so going to slurp coffee and hide for the day I reckon.

Actually further to the weather lark, do you ever get the feeling the metoffice etc make up their own maps which have no real resemblance to the actual world?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Glorious walk with Das Hound this morning across the valleys, called work to biff off the training I was going to give, weights session done, about to pedal off for a glorious ride before having a pizza and wine lunch bought for me. Also out for din dins tonight so all good here.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:
    Club ride day .. Lost my glasses on the ride .. damned fog making me take them off ..... and then broke my very first spoke .... that was fun, one second I am 4th wheel and POP !!! .... the next second I am spat out the back with my rear wheel slamming into the brake pads on every turn

Ah. Now that's a shame. Quel domage as they say round here.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Managed a moist run last night, only 7.5km but with 7 weeks to go until a half marathon I'd best buck my ideas up...

Currently working on some new forms for the workshop which is about as dull as the weather was this morning. Onwards to an alcohol free night, the first in three weeks :o
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pizza at Thomas Jones' Pizza emporium. Tidy.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Pizza at Casa Pinno me.

It's not raining but it looks like it might rain, then again it might not but it just might.

Been compounding over spray and the like and finishing off all the niggly body trim. Arm is aching. I tried to find a spare arm online so that I could take this one off and rest it for a while. No luck.

Must knead some dough.

Did VN say that it's slightly trickier if the wheel is out of true at the point of the broken spoke? If it isn't it's straight forward except there are millions of spoke sizes.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb

What did you have on it MF?
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

Pizza at Casa Pinno me.

It's not raining but it looks like it might rain, then again it might not but it just might.

Must knead some dough.

What you going to have on your pizza Pinno?

I like a spot of rain and cloud from time to time, but your West Coast weather would drive me round the bend.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Waiting for the online check in to open to see what seats we get in the Jet2 lottery.
    I am too tight to pay extra to select seats in advance you see.
    If seats turn out to be crap I am ready for the 'I told you so' that Mrs BM is bound to say. - Probably more than once.
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Did VN say that it's slightly trickier if the wheel is out of true at the point of the broken spoke? If it isn't it's straight forward except there are millions of spoke sizes.
    If it's only gone out of true due to the lack of spoke replacing said spoke and bringing it up to tension should correct the trueness. If you read what I wrote I said ideally take the two halves of old spoke with you to match the size. :roll:
    Obviously there are other variables and the wheel may well still need truing, but that's the basics covered. Do I need to spell out that if it's drive side you need to replace the cassette afterwards as well as removing it beforehand. :mrgreen:
  • fat daddy
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Changing a spoke is easy. Is it drive side? If so you need to take the cassette off. Work out the length of the spoke you need, ideally take the old one with you so you can match it. Bike shops don't like it if you walk in and say you need a spoke with no further information. Hopefully there is enough sticking out that you can unscrew it from the nipple, unthread the other end from the hub. Poke the new spoke through the hub and thread it through the other spokes in the same way others on that side and pointing the same way are. Then tighten the nipple until it feels about the same tension as the others on that side of the wheel. Pinging the spoke and listening to the pitch is a good indication of tension. Check the wheel still runs true and bob's your uncle.

Cheers ..... you make is sound easy.

Just been to have a look at I and remove the spoke and loosen up the rear brake so its not rubbing too hard to get me home .... it is Drive side .... BUT ... only half the spoke is there .. the bit screwed in to the nipple .. the rest of it where is joins the hub is AWOL

will I have to remove and measure another spoke or will it be a case of measure the length of one I can see and is going to be about 7mm longer than that ? Its an again rs010 wheel so nothing flash
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

Goat and jalapeno peppers. Tidy lush.

Arron Llywelyn supplied the meat, the Morgan's supplied the jalapeños from the bunker that used to be the Jones but got sold to the Davies before Father Davies lost it in a card game to the Evans'

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    fat daddy wrote:
    It's really not that difficult, just be methodical. You need to know how much is in the nipple. So measure another spoke on the same side up to where it goes into the nipple. Then either measure the broken bit before you unscrew it and then again after you unscrew it, or mark where the nipple stops and then unscrew it and measure how much was left and add that to the length of the good spoke. Still take the remains of the spoke so they can match the thickness. A different gauge of spoke will sound different when pinged so making it harder to tension.
    If you've ridden a long way with it buckled check the adjacent spokes on the opposite side haven't worked any looser. Because the rim has moved that way there is less tension on those spokes and it is a lack of tension that can cause them to loosen.
    Hope that helps.
  • Matthewfalle
    And, what's more, my tubs did not fall off nor my carbon 60s break. I rock.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    fat daddy wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Just been to have a look at I and remove the spoke and loosen up the rear brake so its not rubbing too hard to get me home .... it is Drive side .... BUT ... only half the spoke is there .. the bit screwed in to the nipple .. the rest of it where is joins the hub is AWOL

will I have to remove and measure another spoke or will it be a case of measure the length of one I can see and is going to be about 7mm longer than that ? Its an again rs010 wheel so nothing flash

Sounds like you need a new bike FD....
  • hopkinb

you have carbon 60's & tubs? You must be like, what, cat 3 or something?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

Arron Llywelyn supplied the meat, the Morgan's supplied the jalapeños from the bunker that used to be the Jones but got sold to the Davies before Father Davies lost it in a card game to the Evans'

I thought Father Davies lost it to Gwyndaf ap Rhidian ap Dolgellau, who then gave it to Owain Hughes as collateral on the loan for the leek extraction unit? Which never bl00dy well worked you know. Half the flock have still got leeks where there shouldn't be leeks, and so they're no good for selling.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

Too right Hopkins3 - and don't you forget it.

And I ride with a club. Building up to their Sunday fast group but Zwifting lots in the meantime to try and eek those final watts out. I do wear my club kit all the time as well so people know I'm a serious kind of recreational cyclist.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

I thought Father Davies lost it to Gwyndaf ap Rhidian ap Dolgellau, who then gave it to Owain Hughes as collateral on the loan for the leek extraction unit? Which never bl00dy well worked you know. Half the flock have still got leeks where there shouldn't be leeks, and so they're no good for selling.

You are correct - the leek extraction unit was a flop. The only thing it extracted was the pisss. And some cabbages.

Owain is doing time by the way - chinned Gwyndaf's son Iain the copper over a dispute to do with a hale bale, some cordage and an Austin Allegro that was, allegedly, fitted with an engine from a Metro but never paid for.

Too much broccoli wine, too little turnip dinner.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

Too right Hopkins3 - and don't you forget it.

And I ride with a club. Building up to their Sunday fast group but Zwifting lots in the meantime to try and eek those final watts out. I do wear my club kit all the time as well so people know I'm a serious kind of recreational cyclist.

I'm only going to get 50's, and clinchers at that. I'm not in a club, and I have no turbo. That's my racing career up the swanee. I'll have to go back to bullying old ladies and fat blokes (by which I mean any blokes fatter than me) on my commute.
  • hopkinb

Owain is doing time by the way - chinned Gwyndaf's son Iain the copper over a dispute to do with a hale bale, some cordage and an Austin Allegro that was, allegedly, fitted with an engine from a Metro but never paid for.

Too much broccoli wine, too little turnip dinner.

That was my fcuken engine man. I loved that engine. I agreed to part with it for £8.54 and a handful of skittles. Never saw a penny. If I'd known it was going to be put in an Allegro, I would NEVER have agreed to sell it.
  • Matthewfalle
    I thought you had bought them a few weeks ago following our discussion about H2's random gym clothing related spending habits?

Buy them now and I can complete my day's spending vicariously through you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    hopkinb wrote:
    Sounds like you need a new bike FD....

I was hoping someone would post that I needed new wheels, so I could use it as justification to the wife why I was buying yet more stuff that doesn't make me faster.

but I suppose a new bike does come with new wheels, so I might be able to use this.

Although the other week I broke my mountain bike, so I already need 1 new bike, I think putting a request in for 2 new bikes is pushing it