no budget to buy a LHT so...

pikeybikeylikely
pikeybikeylikely Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in Workshop
hello there, i m thinking about building my first bike. i m a novice mech, but can get by. :)

i would appreciate any advice if anyone could tell me, if it would be possible to create my own Long haul trucker...

i ve got a 1960 s dutch gazelle populair, with a fixed gear, back pedalling break system, and i have an mid

2000 s specialized rock hopper.

the geometry of the dutch bike appears very similar to a LHT, but i m wondering if that sort of hybrid would work ?

i could provide pics...but am thinking of taking out the drivetain of the dutch machine, and wondering how compatible

things would be ? ? ? putting the gears an such into the gazelle, and using this as my commute bike. it has some sentimental value you see.

just wondering what issues i would come up against, before i start ripping and tearing two servicable bikes down.

thank you in advance, and i m happy to answer any questions. ryan.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Hi Ryan, great to hear from you - sounds like an excellently interesting project.

Can you post some pictures up so we can see what we're dealing with - intended final LHT, current donor bikes, any plans you've drawn up.

Easier for everyone to give advice if we all have the same thing in mind.

M
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My advice would be research the bits you put on it. Check compatibility on everything you need. If only everything was easy to just stick together but the numerous standards can make it a minefield.
  • thanks guys for you replies...will post pics soon.

ryan
    :)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    , before i start ripping and tearing two servicable bikes down.

Without wanting to rain on your parade I suspect that this ^ is perhaps the most relevant aspect of your plan.
    Appreciate your budget limitations but I'd suggest a second hand commuter/donor would likely be the most cost effective solution....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    thanks guys for you replies...will post pics soon.

ryan
    :)

Top stuff - look forward to seeing. This sounds promising and v interesting.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    I like the user name.
    I suspect it may be difficult to fit the rear derailleur to the dutch frame if it's single speed with a coaster brake. Also check the width between rear dropouts as that might be too narrow, although presumably it's steel so you could cold set it wider.
    I do like a frankenbike.
  • Novice builder, almost finished with first build, here too (but with all modern parts). I considered building up a vintage bike as well but the compatibility issues put me off.

From what I could tell, the major issues are:

1) whether your frame would take a modern groupset: frames from as far back as the 60s may not have clearance for a lot of group-sets (the cassette is the issue). From what I gather, its very much a case by case issue. You can always "modernise" the frame by stretching bits and bobs, but that takes knowledge and a lot of daring.

2) compatibility of brakes: you would have to drill it to get anything remotely modern to fit.

3) the fact that the older bikes had bigger wheels: older bikes had 26" as standard v.s. 700c, this is less of a problem but also weird geometry?

4) if you want to go with era correct groupset, the cost of getting stuff that is in decent enough condition.

5) like others mentioned before, adding groupset to singlespeed frame requires even further modification.

Long story short: You might need a lot of modernisation on the frame, which would require customising parts. Or going for era specific parts which would either leave you with super worn down parts or costing you a fortune.

Maybe you might consider finding a nice 90s frame with no compatibility issues?
  • lots of good advice here guys. thank you. well, i think i can be a bit bullish with these things, and have learned

that sometimes, if something aint broke, dont tear it down. :)

likely will just look at other options then. sounds like too much of a headache to be honest, vs my skill set.

i just love the idea of that old dutch frame between my legs, pedaling to work, know i built it. :)

here is a pic of the bike regardless... ok, not as easy as just adding an image i see. newbie see. :)

ryan