bike upgrade crankset

mthams
mthams Posts: 33
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

First post.

I recently acquired a Cube Reaction GTC SL ride the forests around Stockholm, Sweden.

Its a great bike but just mid-range so thought I would start the upgrades.

The crankset and cassette is 2x11 Shimano XT. I like to convert to 1x11 and I feel a slightly larger crank as i feel i hit vmax a bit too easy. I run Shimano XT FC-M8000, 36x26T, 175mm and wonder what i need to change to make this transition part by part?

Love for some help,
Mthams

Comments

• For what reason do you what to change for? The xt set up you have is pretty good.
  • mthams
    For what reason do you what to change for? The xt set up you have is pretty good.

I never use the small crank and I thought i could save some weight and less stuff to adjust. I would move the whole gear set as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove front mech and shifter and cable, remive chainrings, fit a narrow wide chainring with the right size bolts.

You'll struggle to get a narrow wide ring bigger than a 36t, you may get a 38t but not really worth the bother.

Hardly mid range!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mthams
    The Rookie wrote:
    Remove front mech and shifter and cable, remive chainrings, fit a narrow wide chainring with the right size bolts.

You'll struggle to get a narrow wide ring bigger than a 36t, you may get a 38t but not really worth the bother.

Hardly mid range!

Thanks a lot.

So i can remove the small chainring, no need to replace the whole crank? that would be great news.

Change the cassette then is the option to get a small ratio on the high gear?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not if you already have 11 as the smallest cog.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Your already running a 36t so Your not going to gain anything by going 1x11 with the same size n/w ring. Only worth doing if you get a 38t
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mthams wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Hardly mid range!

Thanks a lot.

So i can remove the small chainring, no need to replace the whole crank? that would be great news.

Change the cassette then is the option to get a small ratio on the high gear?

Yup - remove away, just remember to either a) get single speed chain ring bolts or b) just space them out with a washer - either will work.

As above - if you are running an 11 on the rear you can't get anything smaller, you could increase the front chain ring though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you're spinning out, assuming a 29er? and a cadence of 100, that's about 25mph or over 40kph is sensible figures.

Maybe it's time for a road/CX bike?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mthams
    cooldad wrote:
    If you're spinning out, assuming a 29er? and a cadence of 100, that's about 25mph or over 40kph is sensible figures.

Maybe it's time for a road/CX bike?
    yes I have reached just over 50kmh on my 36& 11/42 cassette 29er.
    I noticed that Shimano XT only does a 34T (https://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh-bike/en/home/components1/mountain/deore-xt-8000/fc-m8000-1.html)? But the XTR version has a 36T?

How much speed will i lose which swap from 36T to 34 (5.5% =34/36)? Is there an alternative compatible chainring which will do the job just as well with 36T or am I being ridiculous?

Will you recommend a chain guide?

lastly what tools is required to make this conversion?