Will 105 5500 shifters work with 5700 105 calipers?

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
edited August 2017 in Workshop
My bike has 105 5500 9 speed sti and I have now got a set of 5700 105 calipers from my good bike that are now spare will these work with the shifters as I have heard mixed reviews to do with cable pull ?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They'll definitely work so I'd say try it and see. I doubt very much changed twixt 5500 and 5700 brake wise. It's not like mixing road levers and v-brakes.

I have 5600 levers with 5800 calipers and they are so much better than the Tiagra 4500 calipers they replaced. How much of that is due to the new pads / metal holders vs the all-in-one moulded blocks, and how much due to better mechanical advantage of using the old levers with newer calipers I don't know, but I nearly went over the bars the first time I tried them out!
  • Great thanks that what I was hoping I have Tiagra 4600 brakes on it at the moment. Will let you know what it's like when swapped over .
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Great thanks that what I was hoping I have Tiagra 4600 brakes on it at the moment. Will let you know what it's like when swapped over .

4600 brakes will be v similar to 5700 as they are from the same generation. Swapping pad holders and fitting new pads will give you some improvement but the calipers won't be significantly different.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Levers + calipers is a mix and match situation... you might have slightly different lever throw and as a result slightly different force you need to apply to get the same action, but it's infinitesimal... you'll hardly notice.

I use 5700 levers with 5800 calipers, probably incompatible in Shimano's charts, but absolutely fine in the real world
    left the forum March 2023