TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Band of Brothers is completely and utterly brilliant.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Yes.

Though bits of it age worse than other bits.

The action however. Phwoar.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Yes.

Though bits of it age worse than other bits.

The action however. Phwoar.

Which bits age badly Rick? It's been a while since I watched it, maybe 2 years or more, but I think I have watched it through 3 times over the years. I know that probably makes me a bit sad...

The action is amazing yes, but for me it's the portrayal of the members of Easy Company, and how they were led that makes it utterly compelling.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Bosch - (Amazon Prime) - A+

I watched the first series about 18mths ago and loved it. Just how you imagined him to be from Michael Connelly's books. I've just finished the last 2 series and its even better, intertwining different cases together, always with the back story of his mother's murder as a constant theme and driver for him to seek justice. And the opening credits/ title music are pretty good too.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Bosch - (Amazon Prime) - A+

I watched the first series about 18mths ago and loved it. Just how you imagined him to be from Michael Connelly's books. I've just finished the last 2 series and its even better, intertwining different cases together, always with the back story of his mother's murder as a constant theme and driver for him to seek justice. And the opening credits/ title music are pretty good too.
    I see James Nesbit and Ray Winstone in a British remake. Just on looks.
    Remembered last night - Das Boot. The series, preferably in German with subtitles.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mr. Mercedes.
    The TV adaptation of Stephen King's book.
    Brendon Gleeson playing the lead. What's not to like?
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Just finished season 2 of Animal Kingdom. Plenty of Drama and action, keeps you entertained. The characters aren't too likeable but worth a watch. 7/10.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Have been watching season 2 of Safe House, set on Ynys Mon (Anglesey) and so far there hasn't been one Welsh person in it, suppose it is symptomatic of the current state of affairs with the sell up in the city, two civil service pensions buy up half of Wales type people that we now have to endure.

Dal Dy Dir!
  • Westworld, Utter filth!
    I watched most of the first series on the plane and could not believe they would put something like that on where other people on the plane might see it accidentally.
  • Blood Drive,give it a go dark and funny.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:

Watched the initial 2 episodes and thought it was excellent. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Peter Coyote's narration is impressive as well.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Narcos - Series 3.

Just keeps getting better!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Have to agree on Narcos - working my way through season 3 at the moment & it's holding up really well in the post Escobar setting (I mean Wagner Moura was brilliant in seasons 1 & 2 so I was a bit worried that it'd take a dive, but it's still good)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • The new series of thomas and friends is pretty good.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Friends from college, Netflix.

A bit like friends but with more sex and swearing. One of the funniest series I've seen for a while, well worth a watch. Looking forward to season 2.

Catastrophe channel 4. Great adult comedy about the ups and downs of couples and married life. 3 series to binge watch and features the last appearance of Carry Fisher.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • iZombie
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Icarus - Netflix

Not a series, but a very good documentary about sports doping with a surprising twist.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    seanoconn wrote:
    Friends from college, Netflix.

A bit like friends but with more sex and swearing. One of the funniest series I've seen for a while, well worth a watch. Looking forward to season 2.

Catastrophe channel 4. Great adult comedy about the ups and downs of couples and married life. 3 series to binge watch and features the last appearance of Carry Fisher.
    Try Coupling from the ‘90s. If you can find it.
    It was on BBC2.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

Watched the initial 2 episodes and thought it was excellent. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Very much in agreement. It's a conflict I have read a fair bit about, but plenty of information I have not heard before in the commentary.

Incidentally best Vietnam book I have read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0552124192

Voltaire
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Very much in agreement. It's a conflict I have read a fair bit about, but plenty of information I have not heard before in the commentary.

Top tip about the TV series so thank you. I also recommend Chickenhawk, it's one of those books that over time warrants a re-reading, I first read it in my late teens and again in my late thirties with no less impact. Spike Milligans war memoirs are similar, have read them 3 times now over the course of my life.
  • rick_chasey
    I did think it was odd they didn't have anyone from the French side in the first episode mind....

And the narrator could speak a bit more quickly. Kenneth Branagh he ain't.

The cold war documentary that Kenneth narrates has a good episode on Vietnam; and it has a few more talking heads (like Bob McNamara) since they hadn't died yet, if you're interested on a few more takes on the logic around the run up to the war.

Also wasn't entirely convinced with the dubbed sounds of screams and gunshots when discussing certain events.

If ya going for a footage and talking heads format (which I love, by the way), then you don't need to dub over noises.

There's also some odd splicing of footage from different periods, so they're not being that strict on what they show, which I find mildly irritating.
  • meursault
    I did think it was odd they didn't have anyone from the French side in the first episode mind....

And the narrator could speak a bit more quickly. Kenneth Branagh he ain't.

The cold war documentary that Kenneth narrates has a good episode on Vietnam; and it has a few more talking heads (like Bob McNamara) since they hadn't died yet, if you're interested on a few more takes on the logic around the run up to the war.

Also wasn't entirely convinced with the dubbed sounds of screams and gunshots when discussing certain events.

If ya going for a footage and talking heads format (which I love, by the way), then you don't need to dub over noises.

There's also some odd splicing of footage from different periods, so they're not being that strict on what they show, which I find mildly irritating.

Yes, the overdub sound affects don't work for me either. The visuals are OK, but I could listen to this as a podcast, and I still think it would work.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Top tip about the TV series so thank you. I also recommend Chickenhawk, it's one of those books that over time warrants a re-reading, I first read it in my late teens and again in my late thirties with no less impact. Spike Milligans war memoirs are similar, have read them 3 times now over the course of my life.

Prego. Agree about Milligan, genuine LOL moments in lots of his work.

Voltaire
  • rick_chasey
    meursault wrote:
    Yes, the overdub sound affects don't work for me either. The visuals are OK, but I could listen to this as a podcast, and I still think it would work.

Ah I BLOODY LOVE old footage.

And the talking heads' faces give away a lot.
  • meursault
    The Trip - Spain

Latest season from Coogan and Brydon. Plenty of LOL moments for me, but the impressions do repeat themselves a lot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698441/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

MV5BZWY4ODYzMzYtN2I3Ny00NDkzLWFmNGQtZWVmZWNkYzU5ZjBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExMTY0MjU@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    meursault wrote:
    The Trip - Spain

Latest season from Coogan and Brydon. Plenty of LOL moments for me, but the impressions do repeat themselves a lot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698441/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

MV5BZWY4ODYzMzYtN2I3Ny00NDkzLWFmNGQtZWVmZWNkYzU5ZjBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExMTY0MjU@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Top drawer I thought, series 2 I thought was not as good, this one nearly as good as the first one for me.
    Was unsure what to make of the ending though have to be honest.

Gunpowder was also excellent, as is series 3 of the detectorists which is on iplayer and on BBC4 on Wednesdays at 22:00.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    MV5BM2M4M2QwZDYtMzU5Zi00YTgwLWI4NzMtMmI5NzhmYTIxMmI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM4OTY2MDU@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

That was very good.

Also

OegmoWcT7lY.market_maxres.jpg

+1 Deutschland 83. Thoroughly good.
    Another +1 here for Deutschland 83. Starting watching last night after a friends recommendation. 3 Episodes later i thought I really ought to head off to bed!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Epic isn't it - 86 filming now, due out next year at some point.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Recorded all the A-team episodes over the summer.
    The kids love to watch them on Sunday when we let them have Tea in the lounge.
    latest?cb=20140302182719