Shoes for hill climb AND walking through town

d0nkeychop
d0nkeychop Posts: 12
edited August 2017 in Commuting general
Hi.
Ive got some old pearl izumi that are rock solid for off roading etc and are awesome on hills.

My commute now involves a pennine which these shoes are ideal for but it also includes 2 or 3 trains and a half mile walk across a city which they are not suited to.

Im travelling as light as possible so carrying spare shoes is ultimately what im trying to avoid.

The touring commuter shoes ive had before were horrible on hill climbs which is really all i need them for cycling wise as its a 1.8 mile steep climb on way out and a 3.5 mile moderate on way back. The rest is freewheeling. The rest is all walking.

Any good stiff shoes that are good for walking too where cleats dont click?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano MTB shoes work well for me, for a stiffer some of the Spesh offerings are good, I presume you mean clipped in not flats and are using MTB clips?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Shimano mtb shoes for me too, great on my road bike for commuting , on train and a 1 mile walk too and from station.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    another shimano MTB shoe lover ! .. well when I say lover its not that I go around sniffing them .... but mtb SPDs hold the foot solid, easy to clip in and out of, easy maintanence, cheap and you can walk in them .. normally .... bar the odd wince as you tread on a stone and hear a crunching sound of cleat meets rock
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Giro Terraduro - with SPDs. Steel cleats last much better than other materials (ie Crank Bros use brass). Look on fleebay - there are always brand spanking new cleated shoes with the explanation "I tried and did not like..."; i paid under 40quid for my last two pairs of terraduros. I would recommend a Vibram sole rather than hard plastic - my Sidi shoes are really comfy but almost impossible to walk over cobbles (twice a day on commute) when wet.
  • Ta, the hill is significant enough that I'd rather carry spare shoes than wear one that has too much flex across the metatarsals so stiffness is a must. Again I'd rather carry spare shoes than clip clop across town so a pavement and cobble compliant shoe is also a must if it's 'one shoe to rule them all'. Does the pedal make a difference? I've got M540 pedals, if I get a more flexible shoe does a trekking pedal offer more support and reduce flex in the foot?

I've also considered just getting some walking approach shoes with a stiff sole an stopping spd for flats....

So many options.
  • Setting off with trainers in pannier again. Tried some shoes at weekend, LBS only had one type, north wave or something like that. Didn't bowl me over.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Giro Rumbles... ok you need to weather proof them and use mudguards for the wet... but at least they look like 'normal' shoes .. long lasting.. very walkeable... and dont make you look like you are Frankenstein's monster cycling brother.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Specialized 2FO
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.