TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• One series that seems to have been generally overlooked/under rated in my view is The Leftovers - three series to date available on Sky box sets I believe.

Of the ones previously mentioned you cant go wrong with Better Call Saul and The Wire. Also good call on Battlestar Galactica, appreciate it may not be everyone's cup of tea mind.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Another vote for Westworld here. Well worth a watch and can easily rival Game of Thrones on the nudity and violence front.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2017
    seanoconn wrote:
    Rick and Morty. It's a cartoon! But for adults only. Follows the exploits of Rick Sanchez, a alcoholic genius mad scientist and his slightly whiny grandson Morty. If you're in the mood to just switch off and enjoy some crazy ff'd up lunacy, this is definitely for you.

Season 3 now on Netflix. You can't binge watch it as they're releasing one episode per week.

Show me what you've got!

I actually own a Plumbus. I had it on the dashboard of the company car for a while until Mrs Goo said it looked obscene and like some perverted sex toy. She may have a point but it was still very funny.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Stranger Things (on Netflix)

Enjoyable award winning series set in the 1980's, featuring Winona Ryder, concerning people trapped in a 4th Dimension

I found it compulsive viewing - can't wait for the next series
  • seanoconn
    Mr Goo wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Rick and Morty. It's a cartoon! But for adults only. Follows the exploits of Rick Sanchez, a alcoholic genius mad scientist and his slightly whiny grandson Morty. If you're in the mood to just switch off and enjoy some crazy ff'd up lunacy, this is definitely for you.

Season 3 now on Netflix. You can't binge watch it as they're releasing one episode per week.

Show me what you've got!

I actually own a Plumbus. I had it on the dashboard of the company car for a while until Mrs Goo said it looked obscene and like some perverted sex toy. She may have a point but it was still very funny.
    Plumbus
    First they take the dinglebop, and they smooth it out with a bunch of schleem. The schleem is then repurposed for later batches. They take the dinglebop and push it through the krumbo, where the fleeb is rubbed against it. It's important that the fleeb is rubbed, because the fleeb has all of the fleeb juice. Then a schlomi shows up, and rubs it, and spits on it. They cut the fleeb. There are several hizzards in the way. The blamphs rub against the trumbles, and the plubus and grumbo are shaved away. That leaves you with a regular old plumbus.

I always wondered how they made plumbus :lol:
  • seanoconn
    Rabk wrote:

Enjoyable award winning series set in the 1980's, featuring Winona Ryder, concerning people trapped in a 4th Dimension

^^This. Great 80's feel.

I need to get out more :oops:
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Rabk wrote:

^^This. Great 80's feel.

I need to get out more :oops:

Was just thinking the same. I've watched the majority of the series mentioned on here. Another positive surprise was The Crown (Netflix original) didn't think I'd want to watch a drama about the current Queen/royal family but it was very good and looking forward to future series.
  • mr_goo
    Rabk wrote:

Me too. I thought it was an excellent series. Apparently Eleven reappears in the new series.... trailer on You of the Tube.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    edited August 2017
    I'm watching better call Saul at the moment. Only a few episodes in but looks good so far.

Next on the list are The Wire, Penny Dreadful, and Oz. Also, The tick (Amazon) is being released later this month and if the pilot is anything to go by it should be good.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I really enjoyed Stranger Things but to me it had the feel of something that should be left at that storyline.

The Fargo series have been good too although the first has been the best still, finished the third recently and whilst still watchable I definitely didn't get into as much as the previous two.

Not seen it here mentioned here yet but I got on really well with Billions, the first season at least anyhow. Going to start season 2 next week.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    Breaking bad is the best ever, though other great series are billions, homeland, house of cards, better call saul, dexter, sopranos, blacklist, banshee and peaky blinders. Just on with fargo at the minute and also looking forward to season 3 of narcos. Keep hearing great things about game of thrones also, i might give it a go soon.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I really enjoyed Stranger Things but to me it had the feel of something that should be left at that storyline.

The Fargo series have been good too although the first has been the best still, finished the third recently and whilst still watchable I definitely didn't get into as much as the previous two.

Not seen it here mentioned here yet but I got on really well with Billions, the first season at least anyhow. Going to start season 2 next week.

Season 2 is actually much better.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I binge watched Walking Dead & GoT from start to current in the last few months - love them both.
    Narcos was brilliant (heard the post Escobar season 3 is due out soonish)
    Gave Legion a shot - not too bad, a bit trippy but watchable
    Westworld was magnificent - really well made, next series not due until Spring 2018 unfortunately

Keeping to the western theme, currently working through Deadwood - obviously it's a bit older than the above, but part way through season 1 I'm quite liking it - if you filter through the mountain of profanity (at least 200 "c0cksucker"s per episode) there's some pretty good stuff going on & some likeable characters amongst the historical re-workings.

Haven't made a start on Breaking Bad yet despite the universally positive recommendations - it's only a matter of time.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I like quite a few already mentioned especially Stranger Things,that's like The Goonies and part of my childhood mixed together,loved it.Some more i liked are Z Nation,Outcast,Colony and Hand Of God.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    There's loads I want to try but I just lack the concentration levels to sit through them. I did download Spartacus but only managed a couple of episodes despite Lucy Lawless and Jamie Murray (not the tennis player!) getting their kit off regularly.

The only thing I've really made a point of watching in recent years is the most recent 2 series of Line of Duty, I need to get the first two series now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Icarus is worth your time.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Icarus is worth your time.

Quite good indeed.

Shetland on Netflix worth a look, only 8 episodes but well written and Dougie Henshall is a fine actor.

Valkyrien on 4 - Scandinavian Breaking Bad. Brilliant.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    MV5BN2VjYmU2NjYtMzgyZi00YmYwLWJhNWUtNTk4ZmRmNWNmZTljL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDkzNTM2ODg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BMTk2MzM4NzM0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY3MDg1Mw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BMmRlYmE0Y2UtNDk2Yi00NzczLWEwZTEtZmE2OTcyYzcxYmU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTMxMjgxMzA@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BMTU1NTcwNTUxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzU3MDk2OTE@._V1_UY268_CR12,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • mr_goo
    The IT Crowd. (All the episodes on Netflix)
    It's a few years old now. But still makes me laugh a lot........ Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    MV5BM2M4M2QwZDYtMzU5Zi00YTgwLWI4NzMtMmI5NzhmYTIxMmI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM4OTY2MDU@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
  • meursault
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The IT Crowd. (All the episodes on Netflix)
    It's a few years old now. But still makes me laugh a lot........ Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Awesome comedy series, Black Books too.

Also Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Brooklyn 99.

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    mfin wrote:
    MV5BM2M4M2QwZDYtMzU5Zi00YTgwLWI4NzMtMmI5NzhmYTIxMmI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM4OTY2MDU@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

That was very good.

Also

OegmoWcT7lY.market_maxres.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mr_goo
    Daniel B wrote:
    mfin wrote:

That was very good.

Also

OegmoWcT7lY.market_maxres.jpg

+1 Deutschland 83. Thoroughly good.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Currently watching "House of Cards" and really enjoying it, but It's between "The Sopranos" and "Breaking Bad" for the best programme ever for me. Every episode of the The Sopranos had such high production values, it was like a mini- movie. Any programme that can have you rooting for the bad guys is doing something right.
    "Band of Brothers" is amazing as well, it's a few years old now but compelling viewing nonetheless.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Boardwalk Empire is pretty good too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    meursault beat me to say True Detective. Series 1 mind. Series 2 is best treated as something with the same name.
  • meursault
    Motogull wrote:
    meursault beat me to say True Detective. Series 1 mind. Series 2 is best treated as something with the same name.

Agreed, to point. Series 2 not as good as 1, but has it's moments. Farrell and cast very good, but the plot is maybe TOO twisty? Having said that, I missed an episode by accident and could still follow what was going on. I loved the scene with Farrell and his Dad in the bar, during the 'descent to hell' sequence.

Voltaire
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    Reality TV but Alone is interesting
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    The Americans
    Boardwalk Empire – at least the first 3 seasons – I just finished it.
    Deadwood
    Battlestar Galactica - as stated before, the best sci-fi
    The Wire
    House of Cards – first 3 seasons, at least
    Air Disasters – strangely compelling
    American Horror Story – nothing to do with current politics
    The Expanse
    Hannibal
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Crescent wrote:
    "Band of Brothers" is amazing as well, it's a few years old now but compelling viewing nonetheless.

Good shout. It was an amazing show anyway, but I was blown away when I watched the DVD extras showing who it was based on. The actors did such a good job capturing their real personalities.