rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
edited August 2017 in Pro race
CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

last KM
PROFILKMS.png

Geodiversity
he sandy coast Nimes-Gruissan

The second stage of La Vuelta takes place in a esentially coastal landscape, between the coast and the reliefs found to the North, in the Region of Cévennes that is part of the French Massif Central, made up of very ancient rocks. From the Gardiole Mountain (Mireval) onwards, we see the Pyrenees' Easternmost elements, known also as the Pyrenees-Provençal Mountain Range. These mountain ranges consist, above all, of limestone rocks from the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods (200-65 million years ago, shown as blue and green colours in the diagram). But the vast majority of the stage takes place through Cenozoic sediments (65-0 million years ago, shown in yellow and grey) that have formed in the past 2 million years due to the effects of the rivers and the dynamics of the coastline.

The region's most remarkable landscapes, as we follow the coast, are the coastal lagoons that are separated from the sea by sand barriers and beaches, called lagoons or “albuferas”. A clear example of this is the Étang de Thau, that has a surface area of 70km2. The sand barrier that forms it is so large that it contains the entire city of Sète. All of these beaches and lagoons have formed thanks to the large amount of sediments that have been transported by the Rhône and carried by the waves along the coastline.

Once we have passed Agde, the route moves away from the coast and crosses the Canal du Midi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, that connects to the Garonne Canal, forming what is referred to as the Two Seas Canal, allowing river navigation between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. The design of canals such as this one requires very high-level engineering, coupled with an exhaustive knowledge of the region's geology. In order to return to the coast, the route runs parallel to the Robine Canal, a side branch of the Canal du Midi, used to connect the city to the Canal du Midi.

Once we reach the coast again, we cross the city of Narbonne, founded by the Romans in the year 118 BC. This historical place contains numerous monuments from different eras that reflect the use of rocks in construction. A clear example of this is the Cathedral of San Justo and San Pastor, (in French: Saint-Just-et-Saint-Pasteur), made using limestone rocks. Rocks are a good indication of the types of materials found in the surrounding areas, as well as of the place's geological history.

At the end of the stage, in Gruissan, we again see coastal lagoons and large sand deposits.

Geological Term: Longshore Drift

A longshore drift consists in the transportation of sediments (normally sand, but it can also be gravel) along the coast. This happens because the sediments are transported at an angle to the shoreline, depending on the prevailing wind direction, swash and backwash. This process occurs in the coastal area, very near to where the waves break. This process is also referred to as coastal transportation or coastal drift.

Tourist stuff

2017071819_E02_F02_RESIZE-p.jpg

1200px-Tour_barberousse_0118.JPG

Food
Guess what, it's France/Spain it's near the coast, ergo, seafood on the grill
large_la-cambuse-du-saunier-seafood.jpg

Drink:

It's all about the white muscat; good job, with all that seafood. Some of the oldest vineyards in the world.

muscat-sec.jpg

A local horse
67595cc9b362bb5199363f687b8b6244.jpg

Comments

• rick_chasey
    Wind: Wind each hour (km/h)
    37 NW
    35 NW
    32 NW
    30 NW
    28 NW
    26 NW
    24 WNW
    22 WNW

No echelons yet afaik.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    That's a very nice threadstarter Rick.

Those pics making me reminisce - I've cycled much of today's route at different times, but all fully laden touring.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    That's a very nice threadstarter Rick.

Those pics making me reminisce - I've cycled much of today's route at different times, but all fully laden touring.

Me too. It can be very windy and I have to admit to sampling probably far too much of the white muscat.

I have the klaxon on standby.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • I couldn't start this thread as I should have been there today and unexpectedly stuck in UK doin something else. That's a ride I've done a lot. I would have had food at the fish and seafood landing she'd in Gruissan where you pick what you want out of buckets and it turns up a bit later on a nice plate with aoli and a glass of Frontignan Muscat. The red wine from the la Clappe area is some of the best I've had - and it's a long list :)
  • above_the_cows
    I've had very good seafood in Gruissan exactly like that.
  • rick_chasey
    I've had very good seafood in Gruissan exactly like that.
    8) glad my research was spot on
  • rick_chasey
    Klaxon
  • Splits!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    Echelons falling off the back, don't think there's a split at the front yet
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Remember when Griepel and Lotto dump Cavendish in the tour after Sete? Needs a strong team
  • rick_chasey
    Right I'm off to the butchers.

Up to you guys.
  • rick_chasey
    Cassoulet tonight 8)
  • Quickstep will want the jersey today
  • rick_chasey
    On my way out of the door.

"Chris Froome mechanical"

No way.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    Cassoulet tonight 8)

Tribute to Sanchez? Has beans.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • That's going to be nearly a tail wind for some of the relatively long run in
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 97
    That Alpecin advert is proper embarrassing
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    davieb78 wrote:
    That Alpecin advert is proper embarrassing
    And the Brownlees, being 'the most competitive brothers in the world', have tried to top it for awfulness.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Just had my mother messaging me saying that she can't handle the moron doing the commentary on Eurosport (normally she just watches the Tour on ITV). Clearly Carlton isn't winning the female vote!
  • The TV bike messed up a bit there...
  • above_the_cows
    3741330.gif
  • squired wrote:
    Just had my mother messaging me saying that she can't handle the moron doing the commentary on Eurosport (normally she just watches the Tour on ITV). Clearly Carlton isn't winning the female vote!

Avoided him for the Tour, since then been busy so have missedmost of the racing on the telly box. Tuned in to today, lordy he is absolutely awful. Forgotten quite how bad he is. So no live Vuelta for me, will wait and watch highlights on itv4
  • 3741330.gif

Just adopted two semiferal kittens from the RSPCA, they look rather like this beastie. But fluffier. And angrier.
  • above_the_cows
    Those 2CVs have been the highlight of the stage thus far.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Perhaps Blythe stands a chance here
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Those 2CVs have been the highlight of the stage thus far.

Sadly they were on the as break for UK es. Kirby told us about them afterwards
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Great last 2 km from QS
  • 2km to go and ECHELONS

That was a great final 3km from QS.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Peleton doing 70+ and 50 riders split off - anyone interesting hived off?
  • Oh that was bloody good from Quickstep

Chapeau