Question Regarding Wheelset Hubs

rafamundez
rafamundez Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my wheelset to carbon fiber and my current wheelset is the Shimano WH-RX31 - 700c which has the following hub specs: road-thru axel with 12x100mm front and 12x142mm rear.

From googling, I see that road-thru axels are "bolts" which screw into the actual frame. This is of course, different from quick release axles. However, on my road bike with this wheel, it is quick release...this conflicts with the shimano wh-rx31 specs listed for my bike. Do they create variants of the shimano wh-rx31 in both thru axel and quick release forms?

Additionally, are quick release hub sizes standard? A lot of places I'm looking at don't give the hub specs and simply say it is QR standard. Is QR standard the same thing as 12x100mm front and 12x142mm rear hub specs?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    rafamundez wrote:
    Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my wheelset to carbon fiber and my current wheelset is the Shimano WH-RX31 - 700c which has the following hub specs: road-thru axel with 12x100mm front and 12x142mm rear.

From googling, I see that road-thru axels are "bolts" which screw into the actual frame. This is of course, different from quick release axles. However, on my road bike with this wheel, it is quick release...this conflicts with the shimano wh-rx31 specs listed for my bike. Do they create variants of the shimano wh-rx31 in both thru axel and quick release forms?

Additionally, are quick release hub sizes standard? A lot of places I'm looking at don't give the hub specs and simply say it is QR standard. Is QR standard the same thing as 12x100mm front and 12x142mm rear hub specs?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

If your frame is designed for QR skewers - and it sounds as if this is what you have - then you cannot fit thru-axle fitted hubs. TA are generally for disc brake equipped bikes....

The specs you quote are for thru-axles not QR. QRs are pretty much all standard 100mm front, 130mm rear whilst TA has varying standards at present but seems to be moving towards 12mm front and 15mm rear.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You can simply replace the thru-axle bolts with hollowed ones to take a skewer. Did the very thing for my wife's Merida hybrid. A 10 minute job.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.