rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    After all those years!! Popped at 39!!
  • rick_chasey
    Diddums 1342724397_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_g_0.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ajj0k_s-200x150.gif
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Alternatively it may just be a standard story of a man entering middle age desperately clinging to his youth.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Alternatively it may just be a standard story of a man entering middle age desperately clinging to his youth.

Because he comes form an era....

Forget it, can't be arsed. You get the drift.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Because he comes form an era....

Forget it, can't be arsed. You get the drift.
    Oh, I know. But that era was quite a time ago and he's survived up to now.
  • rick_chasey
    Obviously not that hard to get through the tests ;).
  • :( ach balls, Sammy
  • RichN95.
    This year all three Grand Tours have had a rider pulled from the confirmed startlist for doping infractions in the week beforehand.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes. Almost feels token doesn't it?

Cue side by side pictures of his chin over the years, given it's HGH.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    For the love of Cliff.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Just goes to prove what I've always said.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    ...which is?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Gold shoes

Dopey truths.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Absolutely no surprise there.... just a bit disappointed he wasn't caught earlier.

I lost all respect for this muppet a few years ago when he was one of the few pros to side with Lance. For me, that in itself immediately opened the door of suspicion. A bit like Bolt and his ridiculous pally-pally love-in with Gatlin in London.

Remember this?: http://www.cyclingnews.com/.../samuel-sanchez-criticises...
    www.dotcycling.com
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    it's a warning to BMC ...

look at their results this year, how al their guys are flying on pedals.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    emadden wrote:
    Absolutely no surprise there.... just a bit disappointed he wasn't caught earlier.

I lost all respect for this muppet a few years ago when he was one of the few pros to side with Lance. For me, that in itself immediately opened the door of suspicion. A bit like Bolt and his ridiculous pally-pally love-in with Gatlin in London.

Remember this?: http://www.cyclingnews.com/.../samuel-sanchez-criticises...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel-sanchez-criticises-armstrong-ban/ is the link you meant I think.

He did instantly reveal himself as a dickhead with that I agree.

Zero surprise he's been caught.
  • emadden
    mfin wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel-sanchez-criticises-armstrong-ban/ is the link you meant I think.

He did instantly reveal himself as a dickhead with that I agree.

Zero surprise he's been caught.

Yup! Thanks!!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Meh. He should have hung it up ages ago.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • salsiccia1
    All this 'no surprise, should have been caught earlier' stuff - was he widely suspected of doping previously? Has he been implicated before, other than the criticism of LA's ban?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I thought he'd tested positive previously but obviously not.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2017
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    All this 'no surprise, should have been caught earlier' stuff - was he widely suspected of doping previously? Has he been implicated before, other than the criticism of LA's ban?
    Not exactly, but IainF noted on twitter that when Euskaltel folded no-one seemed to want to touch him until BMC came in at the last minute (despite having a good season)
  • emadden
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    No exactly, but IainF noted on twitter that when Euskaltel folded no-one seemed to want to touch him until BMC came in at the last minute (despite having a good season)

A bit like Chris Horner having great results and not being able to get a team ;-) :lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • salsiccia1
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    No exactly, but IainF noted on twitter that when Euskaltel folded no-one seemed to want to touch him until BMC came in at the last minute (despite having a good season)

Wage demands? Wanted to dictate his race program? Known as an awkward character?

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but I hate the assumption of someone being dirty based on circumstantial stuff, and all the experts not being surprised he's now tested positive. I'm actually quite surprised by this one, but maybe I'm not as knowledgeable as the doperati.

Is there any rider testing positive where people wouldn't come out and say they're not surprised?
  • rick_chasey
    So a quick google finds articles suggesting the drug in question was untestable in 2013, and in early 2016 you start getting positives across sports for it.
  • rick_chasey
    And here are some 2016 retests of '08 olympic samples, this time in weightlifting.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/24/sport ... index.html

So it's been around a while, just the test for it hasn't.

2013 article on how they're not easy to test for.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... in-testing
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Gentlemen, gentlemen. I'm sure that after his 'B' sample proves negative he will be exonerated. ....... secret agents smuggling out B sample from laboratory to covert 'maintenance department ' on otherside of carpark........ opening up 'secure tamper proof bottle' replacing doped pi55 with nicely thawed clean pi55 and smuggling clean 'B' sample back to laboratory........wait hold on that's the Russians.

Still the only good thing to remember him by now is the special limited series Sammy Sanchez framesets that Orbea did sometime back. Still one of the nicest I've seen.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RichN95.
    I am disappointed at myself for not using 'Dirty Sanchez' as the title of this thread. An open goal and I missed it.
  • rick_chasey
    There's still time to edit...
  • I've heard the new designer drugs are there in the market which have structures that change....
    Its possible that Sanchez's B sample comes out negative.

For Eg.. Heredia was a drug creation god. He supplied and created drugs for people like Marion Jones.

SPIEGEL: Do you have any other secrets?

Heredia: Oh yes, of course. There are tablets for the kidneys that block the metabolites of steroids, so when athletes give a urine sample, they don’t excrete the metabolites and thus test negative. Or there is an enzyme that slowly consumes proteins - epo has protein structures, and the enzyme thus ensures that the B sample of the doping test has a completely different value than the A sample. Then there are chemicals that you take a couple of hours before the race that prevent acidification in the muscles. Together with epo they are an absolute miracle. I’ve created 20 different drugs that are still undetectable for the doping testers.