Mountain Bike Use

Robert.eccleston
Robert.eccleston Posts: 8
edited August 2017 in MTB beginners
I have a Cube Attention SL 29ner (2016)

Originally got this bike for going to and from work with the occasional MBT trail.

However never really went to any MBT trails until now and didn't realise how challenging some of them can be :lol:

I've noticed that a lot of people use Full Suspension yet mine is a hardtail.

So my question is this. If i wanted to take on some of the challenging trails that include ramps and some drops to flat that may require taking some impact that on a hardtail, should i sell mine and buy full suspension? or is mine actually ok for this and stop worrying :lol::lol:

Cheers!

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Try it and see. Do not look at other people on the trail as being better or worse; or having superior or inferior kit. Just enjoy - hardtails are just as much fun.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • oxoman wrote:
    Most of full sus riders started with hardtails and theres nothing wrong with them. I only upgraded to my Full sus for comfort. Try and make yours a bit more comfortable, if you ride with rock hard tyres as you would on the road then lower the pressure you could possibly fit bigger tyres. Don't go to low a pressure otherwise you will get pinch flats.

Cheers for response! Did think about lower pressure, but not tried that. I love my bike! was just wondering if making the swap would be best when advancing to more challenging trails :)
  • FishFish wrote:
    Try it and see. Do not look at other people on the trail as being better or worse; or having superior or inferior kit. Just enjoy - hardtails are just as much fun.

I'm gutted that i have only just started going out on some trails. I find it amazing! had great fun and spent a good 2 hours out the house (Think the wife loved the peace and quiet lol)

I will keep going with the Cube and see how i get on! Cheers :D
  • What they said - don't worry about the hardtail/full-suspension - just enjoy yourself.
    The best rider among our small group of friends still uses a hardtail (when everyone else moved to FS).
    Since moving to a full-suspension bike, I have picked up lots of bad habits - I couldn't spot the right line on a trail anymore.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best rider in a local group rides rigid and single speed (and is a world champion), it's not the bike it's how you ride it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.