lake district

japower1990
japower1990 Posts: 45
edited August 2017 in Holidays
hi,

im riding in the lakes next friday for a few days.going to do nan field pass and ullswater.

are the trails easy to follow or will i be needing a map of some sort ? :roll:

also, if anyone has any recommended routes whilst I'm there?

thanks

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    hi,

im riding in the lakes next friday for a few days.going to do nan field pass and ullswater.

are the trails easy to follow or will i be needing a map of some sort ? :roll:

also, if anyone has any recommended routes whilst I'm there?

thanks

Presume you mean Nan Bield? It is a mountain path over a high pass with no sign posts. I would suggest you take the appropriate OS map. You shouldn't have too much trouble having a pootle along the side of Ullswater. For more of an adventure you could follow the course of the old Roman road which runs along the ridge above the lake all the way up to High Street.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If doing the Ullswater singletrack head up to Bordale Hause then down to Boredale or over Beda fell to loop back around to Ullswater.Great little loop.
    Nan Bield Pass is a horrible push/carry up.I presume you'll be going up and over Gatesgarth Pass from Sleddale to get to it?
    Personally I'd turn left at the Top of Gatesgarth and ride over Harter fell to descend Nan Bield if I did it again.The climb up Nan Bield from Haweswater is no fun really

Path from Haweswater to Small Water Tarn:-

8669232964_62786ed2f7_b.jpg

Small Water Tarn with Nan Bield directly behind the bikes handlebars...it is STEEP:-

8668135941_78c59ed642_z.jpg

On Nan Bield:-

8668133401_6089b46b21_z.jpg

Hope this helps!
  • Wow that helps a lot, thank you for the replies. Yes I meant "bield" sorry, autocorrect.

The pictures look awesome! Can't wait to get there now.
  • Judging from the pictures the tack doesn't look easy but views are breathtaking and they worth hard work!