Diet plans/meal tips?

2»

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Great reply that - thanks. Good ideas and i like all of that stuff so all good!

I do like a bowl of fruit/granola/yoghurt and honey but there is a lot of sugar in that.

I think this will be the start of a lifestyle change and ill make the most of it.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    Aim to eat 1.5-2g protein per kilogram of lean body mass, per day.
    Prioritise protein so you're eating moderate to low carbs and fat.
    If you're tracking calories, use this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ebfz ... NfeTg/view
    it'll adapt your calorie targets to your weight loss and goals.

The best way I've found to control hunger is intermittent fasting - basically skip breakfast - and lots of vegetables.
    Don't worry about 'stoking the metabolic fire' or 'going into starvation mode'- the effect is negligible; see leangains.com for the science. It takes a week or so to get used to it, but it works. If you love breakfast, just have breakfast foods for 'lunch'.

If you're competing (or lots of sprint efforts or cycling 2+hrs a day), then increase carbs post-training. If you're just cycling for enjoyment and less than 2 hours a day, then you don't really need the extra carbs. Protein can be used by the body to replenish glycogen, it just takes a bit longer. The other plus to this is that you'll get better at burning fat as your primary energy source, and you can save the glycogen for more of a boost on that hill climb/sprint finish.

You'll immediately lose some water weight due to water stored along with glycogen, so don't worry that there's a plateau after a few days - it's a gradual process. The spreadsheet will track your progress over many weeks, which is much more important than day to day fluctuations.
  • To various degrees, carb craving has been my downfall since ~20 years ago, when I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder. I went from being a skinny yet fit ~70Kg athlete of sorts to basically being an un-sporty "couch potato" that weighed ~83-94Kg, which was often at the higher end of that scale since my Xmas 2013 RTA.

But at 42 last summer and ~90Kg, I felt so unhealthy and realised something had to change, I had to stop having dinner and desert followed by further snacking in the evening, not always because I felt hungry but because I craved food (eg. two full rounds of peanut butter and jam sandwiches, then a bowl of cereal etc.) while the only exercise I was getting was 3-days per week of cycle commuting... And that had become just a summer thing after my RTA!

I've not "calorie counted," but simply reduced how much snacking I do, for example just one round of sandwiches or a bowl of cereal in the evening, but I do try to resist all options some nights. I've also started buying and consuming more meat, despite my better half being a veggie, while reducing the amount of carbs in main meals (but having carbs and protein within ~90mins of intensive training rides). Also other stuff like reducing from three wheat biscs to two in the mornings, or simply less quantity of other cereals. Plus drinking far more water.

I lost ~10Kg from July to January, then started cycling for recreation for the first time since before 2008's lower back injury and have since lost another ~6Kg, albeit not in a linear fashion (when I increased distance without taking food with me, I was going mad raiding cupboards upon my return and put on ~2Kg at one point).

Cycling, especially up hills, is far easier and possibly even fun at a lighter weight.:D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Daniel B wrote:
    Interesting post, and sorry to hear about your personal circumstances, but you seem to be handling it in the best way you can, and targeting some personal improvement, which can never be a bad thing.

I was always pretty darned thin when growing up, and classed as underweight, but that was how I was, and it was no issue.
    As age crept up on me (Just turned 41) I realised I was the heaviest I had ever been, I felt it too, and my cycling and running were suffering - it was a struggle, and I was not enjoying it like I used to, so not unlike yourself, I decided the time had come.

I decided to cut out crap food, or more to the point cakes and chocolate (Still my downfall, and probably always will be) and to start cycling a heap more, and carrying out strutured training too.

I was 11st 10 at the beginning of the year, and did get down to 10st 4, but since being back from holiday, this has now crept up to 10st 8, so I am hitting it hard again this week. Alas at the weekend (parties) I indulged in too much cake and cheese, so I now need to sort that out.
    My target was, and always has been around the 10 stone mark, and I'm not a million miles off that, or wasn't post holiday anyway!

I don't count calories, and instead try and eat sensibly whenever I can - though I do find cycling makes me absurdly hungry - no huge surprise I guess.

A soothie maker has made a pretty big difference for me I think, where as I used to snack during the morning, one smoothie can now keep me going until lunch - I have half at 09:30, and half at 11:30.
    My smoothie recipe is as follows:
    40g porridge oats
    10g chia seeds (Or simply 50g porridge oats with no chia seeds)
    Half a green apple
    Half a banana
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp of sunflower seeds, or 6 almonds
    50g low fat natural yoghurt
    40g frozen blueberries
    60g spinach
    200ml water
    100ml almond milk

That's a bastardised version of a recipe I found online - I currently use 2/3rds for each day, and make them up 2 at a time, so 2 will cover me for 3 mornings.

For lunch I have been hitting the tuna pretty hard, which is good as I like it a lot, and have it in a wholegrain sandwich with no spread, but a bit of low fat mayonnaise instead, chuck in some fresh ground pepper, touch of balsamic, and either salad of rocket, and I find it really tasty - not a bind to eat at all, and does not feel like I am missing out in anyway.
    Clearly you have to like Tuna for that to work, but you get the idea I expect!

Dinners tend to be not that special, and as we have a timescale with a young daughter, and we are both working, it has to be fairly simple and quick at times.

I tend to cook stuff up in batches, and then freeze, so usually I will have a few portions of slimming world chicken and bacon stew ready to roll - just cook rice.
    I also cook up a lovely Bolognaise recipe, in which I use 1kg of steak mince, and if memory serves, I can freeze it in portions that will allow us to make about 6 meals out of it comfortably.
    Just need to add spaghetti, or a pasta of your choosing for that one.
    Another favourite is one of the British cycling recipes, they have one for an easy, but not bad for you Lasagne, and it's bloomin nice - will become a staple again once the weather deteriorates even further.

Other nights for easy quick food, we do on occasion have to perhaps not eat the best things - but then I try and counteract that as best as I can with LOADS of salad - which I genunely love now, as long as it has a splash of oil and balsamic.

Fresh pasta is one of those super easy meals, the fresh stuff with spinach and ricotta filling etc, but instead of one of the sauces, we just use half a jar of green or red pesto as a sauce, and serve it with the above mentioned salad.

One night a week we also succumb to pizza - again counteracted with lots of salad.

One night a week we have fish portions and home made oven cooked chips, my daughter loves fish and chips, and so do I to be honest - I try and counteract this by me and the missus having a smaller portion of chips, or sometimes sweet potato chips, and we also have a big serving or peas and broccolli.

If I am peckish, I tend to have either a bit of bread with jam and no spread, or a smallish bowl of no added sugar muesli and bran flakes, with skimmed milk - guessing neither of those are that lacking in calories, but I like them, and they are not cake or chocolate.
    Sometimes I have natural yoghurt with muesli too, oh and we try and eat loads of fresh fruit, having that for dessert often, melon, peach etc etc

I have also cut down alcohol a lot, and am enjoying two low alcohol drinks a lot when I do partake - Erdinger lager, and St Peter's Without - which is also a 0.05% ale, I had one last night, and it's top drawer in my opinion.

Sorry, probably far too much info there, but once I started.......

I lost my weight pretty gradually, which was my intention, but hit a plateau at about 10st 5, and my end target is 10 st flat, partly because I have a hill climb event in a few weeks, and party just because I think that is my ideal weight, or there abouts, and I want to see what it is like - it's evidently easy enough for me to put it back on if needed!
    I have certainly found running and cycling much easier and critically enjoyable when carrying less weight.

However, I'm not going to kill myself trying to get there, and if it ends up being that my current ideal weight is 10st 4, then so be it - at some point, I imagine you will get heavier to some degree, as you must be bulking up your muscles.

Interested to keep an eye on this thread to see if any good ideas crop up, and good luck with your quest - keep us posted :D

How tall are you ?
  • You say your lad goes swimming several nights a week... could you go with him? Even an hour a week will go a long way to toning your upper body. Might also be a nice thing to do if there is a chance you will start to see less of him. Win win.
  • Try always eat carbs and protein in the same meal, carb load for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner (except salad/veg). I'd try eating 5 smaller meals and if you're cycling regular you'll burn up the calories. It's not trying to eat less necessarily it's eating clean that helps you (no cr*p food/ready meals/take away and limiting alcohol). I go to the gym a lot as stopped cycling now as my knee is in a bad way, but if you want an idea on my meal plan happy to share it.
  • fudgey
    You say your lad goes swimming several nights a week... could you go with him? Even an hour a week will go a long way to toning your upper body. Might also be a nice thing to do if there is a chance you will start to see less of him. Win win.

He swims in the Swindon Dolphin club in the regional squad, i cant swim with him but take him in a weds evening an sunday. The wife takes him the other times as she is also a qualified instructor and teaches those times too.

I have thought about swimming myself but only just about do front crawl due to my knee/hip.

I might start doung a session or two a week as i have been thinkjng about it
  • fudgey
    proylance wrote:
    Try always eat carbs and protein in the same meal, carb load for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner (except salad/veg). I'd try eating 5 smaller meals and if you're cycling regular you'll burn up the calories. It's not trying to eat less necessarily it's eating clean that helps you (no cr*p food/ready meals/take away and limiting alcohol). I go to the gym a lot as stopped cycling now as my knee is in a bad way, but if you want an idea on my meal plan happy to share it.

Yes please, any meal plans would be great
    cheers.
    Little and often does seem to be a way to go too, maybe thats where im going wrong eating little during the day and more in the evenings.
    I didnt drink for 3.5 years, but as said, currently on 'family' holiday with the wife, kids and the inlaws. Had a few beers since tuesday but only 1 or 2 bottles a night.

I doubt ill carry on when i get home tho, its just literally money pissed up the wall...
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    Fudgey wrote:
    Little and often does seem to be a way to go too, maybe thats where im going wrong eating little during the day and more in the evenings.

Timing of food has very little relevance to losing fat. It's 24 hour (and longer) calorie balance that requires your body to use stored energy.

Allowing yourself to graze (regardless of the subjective 'cleanliness' of the snacks) is a risky strategy. It can easily just form a habit of constantly eating. Giving strict rules on feeding windows means that you give yourself fewer opportunities to overeat... no 'oh it's only one biscuit i wont count that' ... etc. If you restrict that opportunity and learn not to be reliant on snacks and regular meals, you'l be much more resilient and able to control your intake much better.

Even if you eat just one huge meal a day, it's never going to be the equivalent of 3 separate meals, and you get the satisfaction of eating until you're full.
  • I'm in my 40s and recently returned to road biking after an eight year break. My return is mainly for exercise, but it's also changed my diet greatly. I used to be a fireman so I was in great shape, but injuries forced me to leave the department. I'm 5'10" and was 196lb eight weeks ago, leaving me about 16 pounds overweight. I should be 180lb.

Two months ago I started road biking and now I'm at 189lb (actual weight). I ride about three times a week, averaging 40 miles total. I wish I could ride more, but with work and family it's tough finding the hours. What I found was diet made a huge difference. I started to eat more greens - literally. I'm eating about half a bag of spinach a day with egg in the morning or steel cut oats and fruit. Lunch I aim for salad with meat (usually fish or chicken) and dinner is usually something small like fish, chicken or sauteed veggies. Even nuts work well. Also, I drink water like a fish (at least a gallon a day). But, I've always done that.

But, the biggest impact is what I don't eat:
    - Sugar. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anyway so this was easy. No soda, candy or sweets.
    - Fried food. I stopped eating anything fried. It's just bad for you all the way around.
    - Processed food. I try my best to not eat processed food including bread. I'll eat rice or anything whole, but I do try to avoid bread.
    - Alcohol. I don't really drink much to begin with, but I noticed on the days I did have a few drinks (beer) I gained weight.

If you're hungry keep in mind this: spinach and nuts always fill you up. This is why greens and nuts have become a huge part of my diet. I just did a 34 mile race and while I'm sore as all heck...it feels great. I plan on doing a 50 mile race in about eight weeks.
  • Fudgey wrote:
    proylance wrote:
    Try always eat carbs and protein in the same meal, carb load for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner (except salad/veg). I'd try eating 5 smaller meals and if you're cycling regular you'll burn up the calories. It's not trying to eat less necessarily it's eating clean that helps you (no cr*p food/ready meals/take away and limiting alcohol). I go to the gym a lot as stopped cycling now as my knee is in a bad way, but if you want an idea on my meal plan happy to share it.

Yes please, any meal plans would be great
    cheers.
    I didnt drink for 3.5 years, but as said, currently on 'family' holiday with the wife, kids and the inlaws. Had a few beers since tuesday but only 1 or 2 bottles a night.

I doubt ill carry on when i get home tho, its just literally money pissed up the wall...

OK well don't get me wrong I think if you have a weekly cheat day mentality it'll help keep you sane.

Breakfast
    Throw in blender : 75g porridge oats, handful of fruit (not banana!), 25g Diet Whey, teaspoon of peanut butter (no added sugar or salt), 300ml semi-skimmed milk. OR you could make an omelette or scrambled eggs (x2 Whole and x1 whites) with 1-2 slices of wholemeal bread (again I skip the butter/margarine).

Mid morning snack -
    Handful of unsalted nuts OR a tablespoon of peanut butter on a Rivita type crisp, or cottage cheese instead of peanut butter (you could have x2 crisps here if you're starving).

Lunch -
    x2 sweet potatoes oven cooked cut into chips, OR X1 baked potato + x1 chicken breast (or other lean meat) tortilla with mixed salad. Now I avoid butter/margarine, so I tend to make my own light salad dressings, if you want to add cheese then try feta as it's not as bad.

Mid afternoon snack -
    As mid morning, or if you're going for a ride/to the gym that evening I'd take a diet whey protein shake instead.

Dinner - Approx 200-250g of lean meat (I typically use a George Foreman grill), and lots of vegetables (green if possible).

Post exercise-
    I take another protein intake (shake, bar).

Now my diet could be argued as extreme but I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and do mainly weights (upper body as my knee ACL is destroyed) with some pre/post light cardio. I am not going to lie it's not an exciting nutrition plan but it works for me, in respect to losing weight, gaining muscle and reducing body fat.

Now if when you're cycling you want to try burn more calories I'd try HIT cardio, thus do interval sprints/efforts if you can do.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    reacher wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Interesting post...

How tall are you ?

That was a long qoute!

I'm 5ft 10.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Daniel B wrote:
    reacher wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Interesting post...

How tall are you ?

That was a long qoute!

I'm 5ft 10.

Skinny then,
  • fudgey
    Cheers chaps for the advice. I'm currently on 'family' holiday as it was booked in Jan so thought sod it I'd go...
    So far avoided any icecream etc and not had a pizza yet as I'm well aware to to not take on too much food.

Been riding most days so far, average 800 cals but done a few 2000+ as its the arse end of Spain and a lot of hills.

I didn't drink for 3 years, but since last Tuesday thought bald to it, nothing to loose any more although I doubt I'll carry on once home. Also managed to avoid cheese but had bread a few days.

Got another 10 days here then I'll kick into the the healthy(er) eating regime.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I'm taking it all onboard so will implement soon enough.

Got to buy a house next. What joy...
  • how are you measuring your cal used number? is it via strava? a garmin? do you use a power meter?

i use a power meter with a garmin to estimate calories, and it compares to the numbers i got when doing vo2 max tests a couple of years ago. strava seems a lot higher, about 1.5 times so pinch of salt.

fyi, myfitnesspal calorie defecit (inc cycling) has been estimated at 5956 cals for the last week, which could be 1.65 lbs lost. the scales reflect this pretty well.
  • fudgey
    Just using a HR monitor for the Garmin 520, and no, i am not taking those numbers as gospel.