free Excel with VBA

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited September 2017 in The cake stop
Is there any of the "free Excel" programs available for download that is compatible with Microsoft Excel VBA?

I have an Excel file with a VBA program to track my household finances, (the usual, stats averages histograms graphs etc etc). On my workplace computer with Microsoft Office and it works great, but at home I prefer not to pay for MS Office.
I already tried a few of the most common ones (OpenOffice, Libre, WPS) but no they dont have VBA.

Thanks,

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Ask your IT dept if you can buy an excel. The licence allows 2 machines to use the same Excel but not at the same time. MS have a scheme where the licensee - your company - can allow you to take a copy for use on a home pc. Don't know what the scheme is called. Price is trivial.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • What is VBA
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    What is VBA

Visual Basic for Applications
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    What is VBA

Still none the wiser but something I probably don't need to know, my excel works fine even if I don't know what my pc has or hasn't!!!
  • Pep
    FishFish wrote:
    MS have a scheme where the licensee - your company - can allow you to take a copy for use on a home pc. .

Interesting, thanks.
  • Pep
    robertpb wrote:
    What is VBA

Still none the wiser but something I probably don't need to know, my excel works fine even if I don't know what my pc has or hasn't!!!

If you use Excel to store certain type of data, say households finances, then VBA can be very handy. You can make simple programs and run maths stats graphs etc etc.
    I am not a computer nerd, sorry if I write nonsense...
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    robertpb wrote:
    What is VBA

It's the progamming language for writing macros in Excel.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    robertpb wrote:
    What is VBA

It's the progamming language for writing macros in Excel.

Ah I must have used it then in the past as I have some macros running on some very old spreadsheets I made some years back. Obviously the brain was a bit more alert and receptive back then!!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I think OpenOffice has a similar thing, but it's not VBA so you'd have to rewrite the VBA bit.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bit off-beam, but as VBA adds functionality to data, so does storing the data in SQL Server and writing functions & stored procs in that, then hooking whichever equivalent version of Excel you install into your SQL instance. SQL Server Express is a free d/l from MS.

This may not work, but it's an alternative way of doing things.
  • Pep
    oxoman wrote:
    Ask your work if they deal with MS to the extent you can get full MS office for a tenner or so. MS also do a student deal whereby you get full package very cheap as long as a student.

I asked the IT at work. No, our workplace does not support this scheme. I have reasons to prefer MS office rather than one of the free versions, but not if it comes at a cost of 100 pounds...

One can find ridicously low price MS office online, on Amazon or eBay, about 10 pounds.
    Seems to cheap to be reliable.
    What's the catch, would I simply be giving 10 pounds to a fraudster...?

(I wouldnt mind to get an older version, say 2010 or watever, provided it's legal etc...)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Pep wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Ask your work if they deal with MS to the extent you can get full MS office for a tenner or so. MS also do a student deal whereby you get full package very cheap as long as a student.

I asked the IT at work. No, our workplace does not support this scheme. I have reasons to prefer MS office rather than one of the free versions, but not if it comes at a cost of 100 pounds...

One can find ridicously low price MS office online, on Amazon or eBay, about 10 pounds.
    Seems to cheap to be reliable.
    What's the catch, would I simply be giving 10 pounds to a fraudster...?
    The catch is that the software may well be dodgy and could be stopped working by Microsoft. You could be giving money to dodgy people. You can buy legit copies of older versions of MS Office but you have to be careful finding the legit amongst the dodgy.

This is what the latest MS Office costs: https://products.office.com/en-gb/compa ... ucts?tab=1
    You can often find these options a bit cheaper online from the likes of Amazon (sold by Amazon itself not third parties on Amazon). I have Office 365 Home and have always bought it a year at a time from Amazon as it is cheaper that way.
  • Pep
    Fine with all you posted. But then, how to tell the honest from the fraudsters?
    Sure it's tempting to say "if it costs so much less than the 'official price of 120gpb or whatever then it must be wrong", but with this line of saying the fraudsters should/will simply up their prices to the full 120 charged by trusted retailers, just to appear themselves trustable ...

How to tell what seller to trust ?