Freehub noise level

SME
SME Posts: 348
edited August 2017 in Road general
OK...
I know this shouldn't bother me, but it will...

I have Bontrager TLR wheels, and the hub's really quite when coasting. I'm considering some Hunt Race Aeros, but the thing that has me thinking is noise.

My friend has some 4AZ Cirrus and they click really loud when freewheeling - if we're riding alongside each other I find it distracting and a little annoying... I cringe.

Hunt say their 3 or 4 pawl hubs aren't too loud but aren't the quitest either. What can I expect?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I have a Hunt wheelset and yes the freehub was quite loud, however it is a straight forward procedure to remove the freehub to grease the pawls and teeth, I used shimano freehub grease to dampen the sound. This video gives a guide to the noise before treatment and how to remove the freehub, Ignore the part about removing a pawl.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MhlOh9ijxc

Have a read of this thread, page 9, start at the twelfth post down and page 10, first 2 posts.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13041962&start=160
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,488
    Saves buying a bell.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Saves buying a bell.

This :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    SME wrote:
    OK...
    I know this shouldn't bother me, but it will...

I have Bontrager TLR wheels, and the hub's really quite when coasting. I'm considering some Hunt Race Aeros, but the thing that has me thinking is noise.

My friend has some 4AZ Cirrus and they click really loud when freewheeling - if we're riding alongside each other I find it distracting and a little annoying... I cringe.

Hunt say their 3 or 4 pawl hubs aren't too loud but aren't the quitest either. What can I expect?

On a century ride, my oppo and me joined up with another group forming a good group of riders. At the head was a female setting the pace around 26mph. Mid pack it was easy meaning lots of freewheeling, but we were using Planet X tubs with the loudest freewheel ever. The noise drowned out everything else. Embaressing when nobody had the power to take over from the female remaining on the front :D
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • The correct answer is you should never be freewheeling
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • SME
    Thanks for the answers.
    Yes, I read somewhere in 'The Rules' about no freewheeling! In reality though...

Shame on you letting a lady take point for all that time! And my mates Cirrus wheel sounds like a Gatling gun - one of the loudest I've heard. Rattled my fillings out!!!

What's a bell?!!! Yep, there are times when a warning sound would be good - I usually just call "On your right/left" etc. Oh, and "Good morning/day" is nice too.

I've heard that pawls shouldn't be greased as it gums them up, but interesting video - I won't be removing pawls though.

Thanks for all the answers,
    Steve
  • There is an option... i was tempted myself.... the thought of an entirely silent freewheel with apparently ridonculously quick pickup beyoind any dt swiss or chris king could even dream of...

Ask at DCR wheels about a set f wheels made up with Onyx hubs
    http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/hubs/disc-brake-hubs/

"ONYX Racing Products which we think are fantastic. They offer a particular sort of option for riders. Some people like noisy hubs, some people like quiet hubs. Some people want fast engaging hubs, some people are not bother about that feature. If you want the fastest possible engagement and the quietest freewheeling, ONYX cannot be beaten here. The engagement is instant, it is uncanny and there is no audible noise at all"
  • Bontrager TLR are without doubt the loudest freehub I have ever heard.
    Drove me to handbuilts.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Meh, get a Hope rear hub, everything else is silent :)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    26mph is easy
    :shock: :wink:
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Meh, get a Hope rear hub, everything else is silent :)

Was going to say a chap I ride with has Hopes, they drown out most things. I thought my Novatec's were loud till he rolled by me.
    But yes a re grease usually keeps them quiet.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The more expensive they are, the louder they get.

LOADSA MONEEEEYYYY
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It took Robert M Pirsig two books to define "Quality". He could have just written that "Quality" is defined by the sound of a Bora freehub.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I have some Mason x Hunt wheels and they're not too loud. Not the quietest, but not embarrassingly noisey either.
  • SME
    JamesEs wrote:
    I have some Mason x Hunt wheels and they're not too loud. Not the quietest, but not embarrassingly noisey either.

Well, I ordered the Hunts, so I guess I'll soon find out soon!