Garmin Edge - Display 3sec Power as a Zone

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Does anyone know if it's possible to display 3sec / 10sec etc. power as a zone value using Garmin Edge? When I select Power - Zone as a field currently, it seems that the value displayed is the instantaneous value, as it doesn't track with the 3sec power (Watts) value. Anyone know if it's possible to change this?

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Yes, well, I can on my Edge 1000.

3s Avg
    10s Avg
    30s Avg

EDIT: Read the question wrong.

Yes you can, but only Power Zone, and then time in Z1, Z2 etc etc
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • 2plus2
    Thanks, not sure I 100% understand though. How do you set Power > Zone to display 3 second power rather than the instantaneous power display it seems to default to?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    I don't think you can do it.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    On the 500 3s, 5s, 30s etc power displays are screen windows options. Just add them to your screen. Don't mix this up with power zones it has nothing to do with those.
  • 2plus2
    Thanks, I've got 3 second power (Watts) already displayed. I'd also like to display this exact same output but as a zone reading. For example so I can sit and do a sweetspot interval and just aim for say 4.0 rather than have to remember my exact numbers.
  • ryan_w-2
    You can. Just have it display 'Power Zone'.

• 2plus2
    If I set a field to 'Power Zone', this displays instantaneous power as a zone, not 3 sec power.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I don't think you can, although can you not set some alerts to let you know when you're straying outside of the required zone so you don't have to focus on a number constantly?
  • Since a zone is already effectively a heavily rounded power value, is time averaging really needed?
  • ryan_w-2
    Since a zone is already effectively a heavily rounded power value, is time averaging really needed?

This.

Just stick to using power as a timed average, be it 3, 10 , 30 seconds.

You know your 'power zones' from your FTP, so just use average power and stop being difficult.

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Since a zone is already effectively a heavily rounded power value, is time averaging really needed?

This.

Just stick to using power as a timed average, be it 3, 10 , 30 seconds.

You know your 'power zones' from your FTP, so just use average power and stop being difficult.

yep. this. makes the most sense...
  • My Bolt does this.

Pull up the cell phone app and ensure your power/HR zones are what you want, then setup your LED's for your training zones and have fun.

It's not a display of the zone number from 1-5 or whatever, it's your LED's.

A workout anyway shouldn't be complicated enough that you can't remember anyway, FWIW.

The most complicated workout I can think of is over/unders with endurance miles. Over at 250w, under at 210w, endurance miles at 160 to 180 watts.

Once you're a week or two into a training plan, you'll know your zones.
  • On my 520 I’ve downloaded a couple of widgets things. One of them has power, cadence and heart rate on a bar chart display. It seems to work ok and does not appear too jumpy.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    What you're describing is just power zones, which is what Alex has already explained to the OP.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • This one shows the 30 sec power over laid in the power zones. It says you can select 3 seconds as well
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/bdba ... d70714bc9f