TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
We have a film review thread. So with the advent of so many different streaming services it is only right that we should have a TV series thread.

I'll kick off with OZARK (Netflix).
Staring and directed by Jason Bateman (agent Zoil in Paul).
Overtones and undertones of breaking bad in this the first series. But much, much darker. It is very near the mark in one or two taboo themes that you do not wish to see in films or TV, especially one of the final scenes of the last episode.
Well worth checking out in my opinion, especially for some first class acting from players not familiar to our screens, especially Julia Garner who plays Ruth Langmore.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Spiral
    French police series set in Paris usually 12 episodes long,used to show on bbc 3 or 4,anyway really gritty,in subtitles,think there is 5 seasons up to now,I know it's not new but if you have not seen it definitely worth a watch
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    If you like Game of Thrones but find the mystical and dragon stuff a bit much then try Vikings.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I was actually searching for a thread on recommendations for different TV series before you posted this. I've recently started getting into them and I'm looking for new ones to watch.

Banshee is really good if you like a lot of action, violence and a fair amount of sex scenes in a TV show. It's about a convict who manages to steel the identity of a sheriff.

Breaking bad is also very good. I've just finished watching it. A bit slow to get started and I wasn't overly keen on the first season but it gets a lot better and will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's about a high school teacher who becomes involved in the meth business.

Westworld is another one worth watching. It has a very clever script.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Shooter on Netflix is very good.

Iron fist is good if you like marvel
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Just finished watching Cardinal, serial killer detective 6 parter, with the immense bonus that it stars the achingly talented Karine Vanasse.

Always on the lookout for things to watch whilst on the turbo, will keep an eye on this thread.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Breaking bad was tremendous - most compelling series I have seen for ages. Didnt sleep for a week or two until I had finished them all.

Rogue on Amazon is on loop at the moment - was very slow to get started as other reviewers have said but then halfway through the first series you realise you are hooked and every episode ends with a reason why you need to watch the next one immediately. Like an American version of Line of Duty in many ways - not least because the main character is Thandie Newton, but the style is reminiscent too.

The Mentalist was just superb but you get a bit fed up eventually if you binge watch them because they did get a bit formulaic after the 38th series... The reboot with the FBI got the magic back and some originality until the end though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Nearly forgot - on Amazon there is also 'Preacher' and 'Lucifer'.

Lucifer is entertaining but a bit more mellow.

Preacher is totally f**ked up but very compelling - you just have to keep wondering at what the next twist is going to be. A bit like Breaking bad and Skins (another great show).
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Spiral is great
    cleverman was on bbc 2 recently and very good
    Top of the Lake - superb
    Handmaids Tale - distrubing
    The killing - that got me hooked
    The bridge - so good it got remade but that was not as good
    Inspector montalbano - so italian
    The Code - love this one
    Battlestar Galacatica (reimagined) - the best sci-fi series ever made by quite some margin

So many more.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    Luther, just rewatching it now on Netflix, is brilliant.

The Phil Silvers Show (aka Sgt Bilko). The greatest comedy show ever. Get the box set!
  • mr_goo
    Sons of Anarchy.
    Don't do it. I started watching this on recommendation from Darren Reddick on Planet Rock who said it's worth a go for mixing rock music and bikers. What's not to like? Right? Even has Ron Pearlman who is just a legend.
    It's a few days in total of your life that you'll never get back and you'll wonder 'what the f**k was that all for?'.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Fargo. Up to series 3 now. One of the greatest things we've seen.

Better Call Saul. Series 3 just finished. Again, beautiful cinematography. A spin off of (or a bit better than) Breaking Bad.

Trapped.

Fortitude.

Wallander.
  • mr_goo
    Qube wrote:
    Fargo. Up to series 3 now. One of the greatest things we've seen.

Better Call Saul. Series 3 just finished. Again, beautiful cinematography. A spin off of (or a bit better than) Breaking Bad.

Trapped.

Fortitude.

Wallander.

+1 Better Call Saul. I prefer it to Breaking Bad.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I liked The Fall.
    Couldn't get on with Fortitude.
    Gave up on Fargo.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Just about to start on the box set of Narcos which a friend has highly recommended to me.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Narcos is an easy watch, based on true events which I found really compelling. Series 3 is due out next year I believe. Wagner Moura is outstanding.

The Sopranos was brilliant, although the ending was a bit frustrating.

Need to get back onto The Wire. First series was the best TV I've ever seen, 2nd series was still good but couldn't live up to the first and I got sidetracked during the 3rd.

Tried the 1st episode of Luther last week, I didn't really like it but the missus is keen so willing to give it a go. That and good reviews. Didn't really get it if I'm being honest, thought it was too fast moving and a bit try hard.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    Narcos is an easy watch, based on true events which I found really compelling. Series 3 is due out next year I believe. Wagner Moura is outstanding.

1st Sept this year.

The Netflix Marvel series are nothing like movie nonsense or any of the other Marvel TV series (apart from Legion but more on that later) and even my non comic book/superhero fan friends have loved them.

IMO they need to be watched in order because there's one recurring character (no spoilers) that runs through them all and if you watch closely you can see that character pretty much come from a scene in one series into another scene in another series. It's clever stuff. So the order is:

Daredevil
    Jessica Jones (David Tennant was excellent as was Krysten Ritter)
    Daredevil 2
    Luke Cage (best TV soundtrack in a long while and Oscar winner Mahershala Ali stars in it too)
    Iron Fist

The Defenders starts next week then it's The Punisher later this year which I cannot wait for!!!

Re Legion - a stunning visual feast and a real head trip with super acting. I was very surprised at how good it was. Well worth a shot.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    PBlakeney wrote:
    If you like Game of Thrones but find the mystical and dragon stuff a bit much then try Vikings.
    I was watching this until one of the characters was slowly executed by axe. I'm not squeamish but this was pointlessly extreme.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    The first season of the fall was watchable but after the rave reviews the show crawled up its own backside. Talking..... very..... quietly..... as ..... slowly .....as....possible, doesn't necessarily equate to great acting.
  • qube
    Oh yeah, forgot about Narcos. Well worth it, even though we all know the story, it's gripping stuff.

In the same vein.. try El Chapo.

Mr. Robot. Hopefully making a comeback?
  • seanoconn
    The Bridge, fantastic Swedish/Danish series. Sofia Helin is amazing as a slightly autistic but brilliant detective. 3 series to date, rumoured to be making a 4th.
  • seanoconn
    Rick and Morty. It's a cartoon! But for adults only. Follows the exploits of Rick Sanchez, a alcoholic genius mad scientist and his slightly whiny grandson Morty. If you're in the mood to just switch off and enjoy some crazy ff'd up lunacy, this is definitely for you.
  • qube
    seanoconn wrote:
    Sofia Helin is amazing

Straight into the Inexplicable Crush thread.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    seanoconn wrote:
    The Bridge, fantastic Swedish/Danish series. Sofia Helin is amazing as a slightly autistic but brilliant detective. 3 series to date, rumoured to be making a 4th.

Very much enjoyed season 1, need to get onto the next two - same goes for The Killing actually.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Qube wrote:
    Mr. Robot. Hopefully making a comeback?

Oct 3rd and Bobby Cannavale is now in it.
  • pblakeney
    seanoconn wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I was watching this until one of the characters was slowly executed by axe. I'm not squeamish but this was pointlessly extreme.
    Pointlessly extreme? Can't argue. Any worse than hanged, drawn and quartered? Or subject to a certain hot iron rod though?
    I have a theory that the Vikings would be considered to be very extreme by today's PC values though. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    PBlakeney wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pointlessly extreme? Can't argue. Any worse than hanged, drawn and quartered? Or subject to a certain hot iron rod though?
    I have a theory that the Vikings would be considered to be very extreme by today's PC values though. :wink:

Try The Last Kingdom - mix of fact (King Alfred's rule) and fiction (Uthred's revenge mission). Some violence, but not as bad as the reputation of GoT (which I haven't watched)

The Man In the High Castle - Amazon Prime. I have a free month and have just started watching it. Like Handmaids Tale it takes a novel and expands the authors vision. In this case its a Philip K Dick novel. Lacking in graphic sex and violence, but the violent nature of Nazi and Japanese rule of America is well done - disturbing and shocking without being so "in your face"
  • seanoconn
    PBlakeney wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The Blood Eagle

The title is a reference to the fabled execution method of the Vikings. It was performed by slicing open the back of the victim, then hacking the ribs away from the spine, causing them to spring apart to resemble bloody wings, then drawing the lungs out of victim's back and draping them over the shoulders. Salt was often thrown into the wound. The victim would most likely have died before the process was finished. :shock:

Give me GofT skull crushing any day.
  • pblakeney
    So. Historically accurate?
    Not pointless then. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    PBlakeney wrote:
    So. Historically accurate?
    Not pointless then. :wink:
    The accuracy is debatable. And pointlessly extreme to show every gory hack of the ribs. Sign of a series running out of decent plot lines and relying on shock value instead.

But I know you too well Blakeney. You win :wink:
  • pblakeney
    seanoconn wrote:
    The accuracy is debatable. And pointlessly extreme to show every gory hack of the ribs. Sign of a series running out of decent plot lines and relying on shock value instead.

But I know you too well Blakeney. You win :wink:
    Not my point at all. I think it displayed character progression/regression as he started to lose the respect from his men. And women. Not pointless, but maybe over graphic.
    Veronese68 wrote: