Pro Team Lubes

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited August 2017 in Pro race
What do they use?

Whatever they are sponsored or supplied with?
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Basically. Sky use MucOff....that's all I know

(use whatever you find works for you best/is sold by your LBS)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I strongly suspect this is one of those cases where the teams use whatever they want, regardless of who their official lube sponsor is. I also suspect that they'll keep it a closely guarded secret, much like tyre pressures. The only cases I've seen reported over the years are those using the wax-plus-moly-powder method, because it's so visually obvious and something vaguely interesting to waffle on about for a paragraph or two.

Having said that, with most of the bike wrenching going on in plain sight at big races, perhaps someone else can shed light on what's actually being used?
  • ddraver
    Jesus Christ are there conspiracies about Chain Lubes now?

Lemme guess, Froome's is evil kitten killing, world ending super cheating poison but Bertie's is pure eco-nectar?
    - @ddraver
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For all that it matters I'm sure they just stick with their free stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I believe this is the lube of choice for pro teams.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ann-Summers-Bo ... B0151QQ3YO
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps. On the chain, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • meursault
    cooldad wrote:

I ain't clicking that while at work.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    ddraver wrote:

I've used mucoff, juice wax and another one I can't remember. They all seem to do the same thing. Just buy any?

Voltaire
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    meursault wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I've used mucoff, juice wax and another one I can't remember. They all seem to do the same thing. Just buy any?

Biggest choice is wet-weather lube - muc-off is great but leaves a huge amount of residue on chain, cassette, and jockey wheels, conversely the oilier sorts of wet-weather lubes can completely wash off if you need to go through much standing water.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    I believe a lot of the teams only use dry lube, no matter what the weather due to the residue left by wet lubes, coupled with the fact they clean and re-lube pretty much every day.
    Squirt seems popular amongst those on the buying advice forum.... :shock: :D
    It is good!
  • cooldad
    I only use Squirt, on mountain bikes, in all weather. Just apply a bit more often in horrible weather.

Just Google Squirt lube.
    meursault wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I ain't clicking that while at work.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Squirt is legit...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    +1 for a squirt on the MTB
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad wrote:

I so nearly clicked on this at work!

Squirt lube is the best I`ve used and I got that from Aaron Schooler (former CX pro). Gotta put it on a pristine chain though...
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ddraver wrote:
    Jesus Christ are there conspiracies about Chain Lubes now?

Lemme guess, Froome's is evil kitten killing, world ending super cheating poison but Bertie's is pure eco-nectar?

not a million miles away: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl ... one-22518/

Even the chain isn't ignored: after a fresh and through cleaning, Munoz first applies Sapim's mid-weight Race Oil, then seals it in with a light coat of grease. The result is one of the silkiest drivetrains we've ever encountered, and one needs no precision instrumentation to discern the significant improvement over a stock setup.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Crozza wrote:
    not a million miles away: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl ... one-22518/

Even the chain isn't ignored: after a fresh and through cleaning, Munoz first applies Sapim's mid-weight Race Oil, then seals it in with a light coat of grease. The result is one of the silkiest drivetrains we've ever encountered, and one needs no precision instrumentation to discern the significant improvement over a stock setup.

Haha, "Even the chain isn't ignored..." as though anyone else would hardly give it a second glance. It's not as though it's the part of the bike with the most moving parts and responsible for delivering all the power from your legs to the wheels or anything... :roll:

Interesting article though, I wonder if James Huang actually rode that bike.
  • So far, not a huge fan of the Mucoff myself. LBS had it on sale and I tried it.

A big issue here is that pro teams clean those bikes thoroughly after every stage. Then they reapply the lube. That's why the cassettes are so clean looking despite a lubed drivetrain. How many local road riders have shiny cassettes all the time?

I don't have time for that. The Mucoff "Team Sky" stuff is great on a perfectly clean bike. But it gets pretty tacky in terms of picking up junk in it after some miles and days. Mere mortals don't have teams to clean their bikes daily and have a shiny and pretty drivetrain with perfect lube amounts.

Since I can't do a full drivetrain wash all the time like they do, my rag wipe and reapply inevitably means more lube than they usually run. This means also it builds up on idlers and other areas as a tacky goop.

It doesn't help that my Propel has white chainstays and seat stays. Always lube smudges somewhere.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    GT85 and a rag to apply/wipe off is my go to.
    You have to do it each week but what you don't want is thick black grinding paste on the chain.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I use a really cost ineffective method of essentially soaking my drivechain in WD40 to lift the black cr@p. I do this once every two months though which is probably why it is such a ballache :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Wasn't Muc Off selling some chain lube at like £40 a bottle because it was sooner dooper nano biological technology or something?

And someone else was taking a normal KMC chain, soaking it something then selling them for a ton, but the sooner dooper coating only lasted 100 miles or something?

One born every .........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    A big issue here is that pro teams clean those bikes thoroughly after every stage. Then they reapply the lube. That's why the cassettes are so clean looking despite a lubed drivetrain. How many local road riders have shiny cassettes all the time?
    doesn't everyone :oops:
  • imatfaal
    Couple of sheets of plywood to shield bearings and Karcher powerwasher on full blast - run chain along underneath nozzle for about ten revolutions (big ring and big gear to tension chain fully). Do NOT forget to lube afterwards as nothing is left in or on the chain
  • imatfaal
    Wasn't Muc Off selling some chain lube at like £40 a bottle because it was sooner dooper nano biological technology or something?

And someone else was taking a normal KMC chain, soaking it something then selling them for a ton, but the sooner dooper coating only lasted 100 miles or something?

One born every .........

I think Muc-Off were trading off the mad chain prep they did for Brad Wiggins hour record (cos of course the mamil on a local tt needs that sort of performance)

35669568793_dbe73f5149.jpg

Lube lasts for 400 dry km - so 20-25p per km in Lube!
  • Morgan Blue is the most popular lube and bike cleaning brand in the peloton:

Movistar
    Quick Step
    Sun Web
    Lotto
    Katusha
    DD
    AG2R
    FDJ

http://www.morganblue.net/
  • ddraver
    I can used a few of their bits. Seems to work well.

Agree with the MucOff Sky lube though. Very good but only for one ride only
    - @ddraver
  • meursault
    Trialling the Morgan Blue.

Very impressed so far, just put a light coating on my Synapse and Boardman Team last week, as I had not cleaned bike properly. Did these rides

https://www.strava.com/activities/1148049683

https://www.strava.com/activities/1144678894

https://www.strava.com/activities/1143523959

Plus usual commutes, and not a squeak out of place. Despite variable weather conditions.

Lube has a slightly thicker feel, but not gloopy, than Mucoff and Juicelubes. Says on bottle to apply more for wet than you would for dry, which seems sensible. Think I will stick with it.

Voltaire