Restoring an Eddy Merckx

Paddy Davison
Paddy Davison Posts: 9
edited September 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi,
I recently aquired this Eddy Merckx from my grandad and I was really interested into restoring it and using it. I have restoring and I overhauling the componts covered. But how would I go about restoring the frame regarding paint work, decals and surface rust? Here are some pictures:
https://goo.gl/photos/Rz2gS7C6bifMYu7K6
Thanks,
would really appreciate some help.

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Take it to a professional. I'm guessing prices will vary wildly, but I if you can afford this then this is what I'd do.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/frame-resprays/

If you are Up North then all the better, but I suspect there will be similar places all over the country (presuming you're UK based of course).
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Highly recommend Brian at Classic Vintage Cycles (and he is a big EM fan)!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    It's only original once, if you want a new looking bike buy a new bike, restoring an item doesn't mean replacing everything, lots of careful use of cutting compound and retouching up scratches with a really fine brush then clear coat it or wax it to preserve the patina, don't obliterate its history.

Or get it chemically stripped and professionally painted as it's your bike now not your grandad's :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I would keep it as is with just a mechanical makeover where it needs it. That kind of wear and tear is called patina these days.

It's not an expensive bike so without the family connection probably not worth too much time, money and effort either.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's not Dirk is it really?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would keep it as is with just a mechanical makeover where it needs it. That kind of wear and tear is called patina these days.

It's not an expensive bike so without the family connection probably not worth too much time, money and effort either.

As above, not worth spending too much on it, tbh. Merckx didn't start making his own frames in his own workshop until 1980 and this is likely an earlier bike made by another factory which licensed the name to capitalise on his fame at the time. Another clue is the type of bike - I don't think Merckx ever made tourers anyway. That said, if it's got some family history, then fine...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Coventry Eagle made Eddy Merckx 'branded' bikes in the 1970s which is what you have there - so no real intrinsic value, just nostalgic. A decent respray will cost you more than the value of the bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..