Base layers

RossoCorso34
RossoCorso34 Posts: 204
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
When do you wear a base layer for the top half? Do you wear them as a matter of course as the wicking properties are good? I was out this morning and it was about 12c/55f and felt that it made me too warm, although I tend to run quite hot anyway.

I can't quite work out where the cutoff for them is...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I always wear a base layer. However, I have lots of them, which are differently suited to various weather conditions.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Only when it's cold enough for me.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I wear them all year round, obviously lighter ones in the summer
  • RossoCorso34
    Kajjal wrote:

I prefer this attitude to others, as it means there is less additional stuff to purchase and then hide, Umm, I mean store!

Given that the summer seems to be all but over, I guess the point of this question is long gone.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    theboyfold wrote:
    When do you wear a base layer for the top half?

Calm dry day - below ~5C
    Wet windy day - below ~10C

Always merino.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    whyamihere wrote:
    I always wear a base layer. However, I have lots of them, which are differently suited to various weather conditions.

Likewise
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Only time I don't wear a base layer is when it's 30c+
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    The only time I don't wear one is when I wear a skin suit. My preferred material is merino wool.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    e999sam wrote:
    The only time I don't wear one is when I wear a skin suit. My preferred material is merino wool.

I tried the merino wool base layers and could not get on with them so use gore base layers now.

I definitely don't wear a skinsuit as I would get arrested :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm old school and we always wore a base layer.

Granted in the south of France I've gone without but if it's less than 30 degrees I'm wearing one.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I run hot so only wear a base in winter, but i questioned a guy at work who has been riding many years the other day. It was 20 degrees when we went out so i asked why he still wears one, albeit sleeveless and his answer was simply incase he crashed.
    He much prefers his skin to stay where it is so wears a base.

Good point i guess, but i still get hot...
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I always run hot but still wear a base layer in summer, partly for the crash reason, partly so I can unzip my top a little for extra ventilation if needed and still retain some degree of modesty at least. but I use those mesh type base layers in summer, they might seem to be snake oil type technology, but they really work well for me, but YMMV
  • RossoCorso34
    Interested in the crash reasoning. I'd never thought of that before, I guess it makes sense. It's something that very much is down to personal preference, I'm not sure if I buy into the concept of wicking the sweat that well. Maybe the stuff I have isn't the most effective.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    All the time.
    Thicker ones in winter
    Mesh or thin ones in summer and mid weight ones in between
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    I run quite hot (on account of being a fat ba$tard) so 13/14 degrees and up I don't wear one

Merino if i do wear them
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Dannbodge wrote:
    All the time.
    Thicker ones in winter

Same here, works a treat.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    theboyfold wrote:
    When do you wear a base layer for the top half? Do you wear them as a matter of course as the wicking properties are good? I was out this morning and it was about 12c/55f and felt that it made me too warm, although I tend to run quite hot anyway.

I can't quite work out where the cutoff for them is...

You need to try something like UnderArmour HeatGear, then you'll understand why.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Kajjal wrote:

This, I run hot but if I get cold I get very cold very quick so Summer I just wear a jersey. Else its base layer or least something to keep my core warm.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Dannbodge wrote:
    All the time.
    Thicker ones in winter

Snap :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Only in the cold - I have some Oldo long sleeve ones which I just wear under a 'normal' long or short sleeve jersey. I also have a cheapo Peter Storm one which does the job but that does seem to stay wetter than the Odlo ones from sweat.

I especially wear them in the wet - rather than trying to wear any kind of waterproof - I've found that warm but wet is preferrable than any effort to stay dry.

Have dabbled with summer ones - but not enough to tell if I see any benefit. Plus I got too fat to get them on!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    theboyfold wrote:
    Interested in the crash reasoning. I'd never thought of that before, I guess it makes sense. It's something that very much is down to personal preference, I'm not sure if I buy into the concept of wicking the sweat that well. Maybe the stuff I have isn't the most effective.
    I've come off ripping my jersey to shreds but not a scratch on my skin because of the base layer.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Equally, i binned it in Spain last year at over 30mph, just a jersey and ripped that. Gravel rash to upper back and shoulder but hip and thigh took the brunt of it.

It ruined the holiday for the next 2 weeks as it hurt to do anything, but i doubt a base would have helped all that much.

It was 28deg + tho, so i still wont wear a base and back there at the end of the week with thinner jerseys than last year.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited August 2017
    Svetty wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    All the time.
    Thicker ones in winter

Snap :D

Snap yet again.

Also, I had never thought much about a base layer helping to minimise skin damage but I had a bad crash about five weeks ago and when I took my jersey off I noticed that there was a hole/tear of about 1" and scuffing on the back near the left shoulder. Ordinarily, I would have expected a wound of some sort but there was nothing and I now wonder if the very thin mesh vest that I was wearing as a base layer helped to prevent it.

It's just a pity that I couldn't have prevented the other injuries that I suffered at the same time - road rash at the top of my left thigh (and wrecked bib shorts), very bad damage to my left elbow (with a flap of skin almost exposing the bone!), two (maybe three) cracked ribs and a bad groin strain. To add to all that, the elbow got infected and it took three courses on anti-biotics over 4 weeks to sort it out.

On the plus side, apart from having to pull the left shifter back into place and a puncture, the bike seems OK. Also, I don't want to pick at the whole 'wear or not wear a helmet' scab again but I definitely felt my head hit the ground and actually felt my helmet take the impact. I have no idea whether it would have been more serious without a helmet but I'm glad that I had it on. There is no sign of any damage to the helmet itself but I am now trying to decide whether to replace just in case.......

My Garmin tells me hat I was doing 22 MPH when the ride came to an abrupt end and I hit the deck!

Sorry to hijack the thread with my tale of woe.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Hope you are getting better! Id get a new helmet - better safe than sorry
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I was always told to wear two layers - if you crash then the layer will rub on each other not you. Even on the velodrome.
  • So this thread has just ended up costing me some money!

I've ordered a Craft Superlight baselayer to see how I get on with it, as I've found my current baselayers too warm to wear in the summer.

Thanks for all the input though, it's an a more interesting set of responses then I was originally expecting.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    theboyfold wrote:
    So this thread has just ended up costing me some money!

I've ordered a Craft Superlight baselayer to see how I get on with it, as I've found my current baselayers too warm to wear in the summer.

Thanks for all the input though, it's an a more interesting set of responses then I was originally expecting.

You won't be sorry. After bib shorts a mesh base layer is the best thing I've bought. It seems to absorb more than it's own weight/volume in sweat. I do run quite warm though, not sure if that makes a difference.
  • Gimpl wrote:
    theboyfold wrote:
    So this thread has just ended up costing me some money!

You won't be sorry. After bib shorts a mesh base layer is the best thing I've bought. It seems to absorb more than it's own weight/volume in sweat. I do run quite warm though, not sure if that makes a difference.

It arrived today so will be getting a full test tomorrow on my commute
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Almost always. 95% or more (can't remember the last time 'I just went for a ride') all of my cycling is commuting to/from work and I work permanent night shifts, with liberal sprinklings of 12+hours if overtime is involved. I don't remember a single time that it was warmer riding home at 5am than it was when I rode in at 5pm.

If I do ever get a chance for a stand alone ride, I'm usually fair weather and have a waterproof on anyways.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    When it's cold.

Contrary to marketing blurb, they do not keep you cool.