Mersey Roads 24hr TT

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited August 2017 in Amateur race
This saturday 13:02 the first rider sets of from Wrexham. he's 72! I am no 18. I hope I last. My dad will be there supporting me with food in the camper. At least I can get a nap if i need one and I will.

This will be my first attempt at a 24hr and I did my first 12 hr in June. So will I finish, I'll find out I suppose.

The distance target is 400 miles but my bike does not have extension bars so we'll see. the real target is to finish.

I think tomorrow nights prep is going to involve a bottle of wine.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    Great stuff Malcolm... good luck with it... look forward to see the big 400 materialising
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    well we'll see. It is going to wet and windy so who knows how far I will go. A target is just a hope.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Good luck.
    I had a go with the Le Mans 24 a few years ago, and found it pretty tough. That was on a silky smooth closed circuit, I can imagine that on public roads it's a lot tougher. Here's wishing you the Best of British!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    That's a great target to go for... Hope it goes well for you.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    You're an absolute nutter.

Good luck.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Good luck, braver soul than me. Hope the weather holds for you
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • cycleclinic
    The weather did not hold. It was do dire one guy who has done it 16times says this was the hardest. Many had to retire. I did not though but had to spend a few hours warming up after suffering from the begining of hypothermia. I carried on and clocked over 340 miles. I kept my average moving pace till the end at around 30kph. 520 ish miles will be the winning distance though. I am weak next to him.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The weather did not hold. It was do dire one guy who has done it 16times says this was the hardest. Many had to retire. I did not though but had to spend a few hours warming up after suffering from the begining of hypothermia. I carried on and clocked over 340 miles. I kept my average moving pace till the end at around 30kph. 520 ish miles will be the winning distance though. I am weak next to him.

Very impressive, regardless of the conditions even more so given the conditions... :D
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    A clubmate rode it, his description of the conditions were pretty horrific. Chapeau to all who finished, you're looney but well done anyway :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I doff my cap. I tried a 12 once and bailed out 2/3 of the way through. 24 is crazy even in nice weather - let alone yours !
  • cycleclinic
    345.5 miles is the officall total for me 31st out of 50 finiahers over 70 started. The weather was poor but not really a challenge (although I am not sure I thought that at the time). It is possible a 24hr TT is a bit like childbirth. horrendous at the time but the day after you think it's not so bad. I had a warm camper van to hide in and warm up when I got really cold. 12 hrs TT's are easy (again that what I think after the event), i did one the week after the 24hr (90 miles behind the leader adam duggleby who did 317 miles!) you just ride a bike you are comfortable on and eat regularly and pace yourself. comfy kit that does not chaff helps alot too.

There is nothing crazy about 12hr and 24hr TT's it all comes down to do you believe you can finish and I mean have no doubt that you will through having ridden alot in poor weather riding in preperation. The kind of training rides I did this year for this where 6 hours out into the wind in february eat a bit and then ride home eating a bit more. Another was the c2c in a day on a touring bike then the day after ride back from scarborugh, 12hr TT in strong winds (headwind out tailwind return repeat).... Of course there have been others too. If long 12hr rides are part of your normal cycling diet then a long TT or three is not really beyond you.

That said I am slow next many. I stop too much as well. I like sitting down to eat proper food rather than suck on a gel which churns much stomach if thats all I "eat".

I will enter next year and fancy going to california to do the world 24hr championships. I wont win I am on a road bike but I will have fun. likely to be a bit warmer too than cheshire in july as well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bryan Chapman memorial next year Malcolm?
  • cycleclinic
    I had planned on a 600km audax as part of my prep for nexts 24hr. so maybe. There are not that many to choose from. It's about time I grew up and did an audax. I am member after all.

I do want to try the welsh 12hr championships. there is a nice big hill in that one.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Very cool. Maybe I'll have a go one day :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    I had planned on a 600km audax as part of my prep for nexts 24hr. so maybe. There are not that many to choose from. It's about time I grew up and did an audax. I am member after all.

I do want to try the welsh 12hr championships. there is a nice big hill in that one.

As AUdax go, the BCM and the National 400 are the best catered for... there are many other 600, but you're going to be on your own most of the time, sort out food, sleep etc... I like the idea of relying on control points where I can get food and rest, especially at night. Having seen the photos, the route looks stunning too
  • cycleclinic
    that the main problem with long audax's unless they are catered for I might as well avoid the entry fee and the travelling and just ride from my house.
  • ugo.santalucia
    that the main problem with long audax's unless they are catered for I might as well avoid the entry fee and the travelling and just ride from my house.

Tend to agree... if there is zero food on offer, might as well do a 600 as a DIY... I can get a BR for that too if I am after points. I can plan it to pass in front of a cheap Travelodge just when I need to sleep etc...

Most Audax will give you something in terms of food either free or very reasonably priced, some will give you all or pretty much all included in the entry fee. The National was awesome in this respect.