Strade Biache to come to TdF 2018

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited October 2017 in Pro race
Stage 17 finish in numbers.

CollaoEspina1.jpg

Need more of this - get back to the old school when perfect tarmac was the exception - there's a trend towards gravel riding/cobbles/rough terrain in cycling and no reason the Tour shouldn't reflect that.

DeV's post above reminded me of a Tweet from Thierry Gouvenou - the Course Director for Tour de France. A few days after the finale of this year's edition he tweeted this

DFzj0l1XgAEnN6i.jpg

Sous le charme de cette route de montagne.
Gravel road.
Plaisirs des reco....

Under the spell of this mountain road.
Gravel road.
Pleasures of the recon...

OK - So it is almost a year away but a nice hint. And the Strade Bianche reference is just descriptive not geographic - it has been traced down to close to Col du Pre de la Dame in Monts D'Ardeche

Comments

• this is doing the rounds but cant see any truth in it apart from the start is correct and Brittany is convincing ?? It doesn't go in to the Ardeche though

20245739_1876623012658450_1389050330997931313_n.jpg?oh=841c65e03fbdac8f4714ff190bd8bd53&oe=59FF0556
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    this is doing the rounds but cant see any truth in it apart from the start is correct and Brittany is convincing ?? It doesn't go in to the Ardeche though

20245739_1876623012658450_1389050330997931313_n.jpg?oh=841c65e03fbdac8f4714ff190bd8bd53&oe=59FF0556

Thanks, hoping to spend 2 weeks touring next year and taking advantage of the "kids" taking their GCSEs in 2018 should be able to get away early enough to follow the Tour for a bit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    That route looks very light on climbing and what's with that one stage in the Pyrenees? It only looks the length of the time trials or less!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The stage up around Brest could perhaps include some of the unpaved roads used in the Tro Bro Leon race?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    A couple of those stages would be 250km plus
  • I am pretty sure its a fake so dont book anything on the strength of this :) I thought it was an obvious fake - but then you start looking closer??
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    I think if they go into Brittany they will search out the ribinou from the Tro Bro Leon
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Flip, I hope that map is way off the mark.
    I make that 4 mountains stage and an ITT in the lesser Alps.
    If it's not far off the mark, it's kind of what I feared.

Feeble.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    That map was made by a bloke on a French web forum on a 'Design a 2018 Tour' thread. It was then taken and passed off as a leaked 2018 route by Antoine Vayer on twitter to get a bit of attention.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    RichN95 wrote:
    That map was made by a bloke on a French web forum on a 'Design a 2018 Tour' thread. It was then taken and passed off as a leaked 2018 route by Antoine Vayer on twitter to get a bit of attention.

:lol:

What an utter knobmoomin.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Yep ^^

Though I guess the first few stages following the Grand Depart will be about right.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    RichN95 wrote:
    Is that for real? Or are you just joining in with t'internet fashion for fake news?
  • It had to be fake really but it's not just random. The Brittany stages look as talked about and other stages seem to have some bearing on rumours. So maybe more a guestimate
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    It had to be fake really but it's not just random. The Brittany stages look as talked about and other stages seem to have some bearing on rumours. So maybe more a guestimate

So, much like Vayer's climbing sums, then.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RonB wrote:
    Yep ^^

Though I guess the first few stages following the Grand Depart will be about right.

Pretty sure the first three stages have been announced, no? I may have made that up, tbf.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Dates are wrong too.
    Starting a week later to avoid a clash with the world cup
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

So utterly predictable. Vayer is such a waste of human tissue.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Despite that, it's not a rumour that it's starting in Brittany is it? And therefore is likely to feature some "rue blanche"

Given my clearly stated position on cobbles in GTs it would be hypocritical of me to say I hope so, but nevertheless I'll probably tune in for such a stage :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    ddraver wrote:
    Despite that, it's not a rumour that it's starting in Brittany is it? And therefore is likely to feature some "rue blanche"

Given my clearly stated position on cobbles in GTs it would be hypocritical of me to say I hope so, but nevertheless I'll probably tune in for such a stage :oops:

It's starting in the Vendee as far as I'm aware. I assume that's announced as I saw tours available to ride the opening stages a week before the race.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875
    DD - the start is in the Vendee again, and will undoubted use the Passage du Gois on the first weekend. Expectation is then into Brittany.
  • Yes the first three stages have been known for a few months. Brittany is definite but most unkn after that. I'm taking an interest as I plan to cycle and see every stage as an anniversary tour from the first one I followed
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95 wrote:

Never mind that - has he already decried Froome's VO2MAX on that short stage to Alpe d'Huez?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

Never mind that - has he already decried Froome's VO2MAX on that short stage to Alpe d'Huez?

HA!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    Meh, Vendee is basically just south Brittany ;)
    - @ddraver
  • dangerous talk !

fr-85a.gif

51cpHYCFdGL._SX355_.jpg
  • 2010 Giro stage was epic when it went on it.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Col de Glieres would be an idea for an SB col

ob_e7bd50_20160622-008.jpg

but maybe better would be the Col de L'Arpettaz above Ugine followed by the road over to the Col des Aravis!

IMG_5408.jpg

The Aprettaz is one of the nicest climbs in the French Alps.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ....and I drive past it every weekend.

Wonder if I can work out a way of getting there.
    - @ddraver
  • the Inner Ring‏ @inrng · Sep 16

Next year's Tour de France going to Roubaix on Sunday 15 July, pavé likely
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pave and strade hnnnngggggg
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015