Shimano 46 * 36T, 4 arm chainrings

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited August 2017 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I'm trying to find some cheapish chain rings as above (46, 36 tooth). Seems impossible to the extent it seems worth buying a whole crankset and getting the cranks thrown in for free.. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano- ... #pid=19134

Anyone know of any cheap sources?

Also, how do the new bolt/cover things work. Are they required?

Thanks.
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What BCD?

48/38 is common for the MTB 4-arm as its Shimano's trecking ratios, that's only a tiny change in ratio from 46/36.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jds_1981
    110 bcd
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    I'm still having no luck finding relatively cheap chainrings.

The cheapest I can find are https://www.acycles.co.uk/specialites-t ... 16597.html
    Where 46 tooth is 46.89, but as soon as I select 'external' (no idea what this option does) it goes to £57.89. Is that the going rate now a days?
    For the pair I'd like it's about £95
    A crank set with the chain rings I'd like can be bought for £137

Anyone have better suggestions?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    This might not help....but I've found with the newer 4 arm shimano road chainrings your better off buying a new chainset and selling the old/worn on ebay.

As you've seen, chainrings (especially as a pair) are almost as expensive as new chainset.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, my solution to this problem is to avoid the whole new 4-arm 110 bcd standard until either it matures and there is availability of reasonably priced alternative chainrings, or wait for the new 4 arm standard to go away.

With that said, you can get Doval oval chainrings fairly cheaply that are compatible:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-doval-11-7 ... tzMxAcrv4g

Other listings are available.
  • Might be a bit cheap for you and only gets you half way there but I run a narrow wide chain ring brought from J&L on eBay after a recommendation elsewhere in the forum, and they've served me fine so far (although it took a couple of weeks to turn up). They do a 110mm 46t one but not a 36t one as far as I can see. Don't think it'd matter it's narrow wide?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Might be a problem if you want to change gears at the front, on account of narrow-wide chainrings being designed to retain the chain, where normal chainrings have ramps and pins to make shifting easier.
  • jds_1981
    I think the narrow wide might be the way to go. Thanks.
    I'll probably get a small chainring to go with it just in case.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Might be a problem if you want to change gears at the front, on account of narrow-wide chainrings being designed to retain the chain, where normal chainrings have ramps and pins to make shifting easier.

Good shout, hadn't thought of that as I run it on a 1x set up...
  • jds_1981
    TimothyW wrote:

Good shout, hadn't thought of that as I run it on a 1x set up...
    I don't really ever change out of the 46 at the moment. Infrequently enough at least to assume 1* and wait for the market to mature.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jds_1981
    The Rookie wrote:
    Thanks, I do normally check the Germans too.

Eventually decided to go with the ovals. We'll see...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5