First bike for teenage son

shearclass
shearclass Posts: 5
edited August 2017 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone

Newbie here.

I am wanting to get my son a bike for his 13th birthday. He is quite tall and I think will manage a 16/17 inch no bother. His old bike, that is way too small for him, had been in the shed dormant for about a year. Over the last couple of months however it has been resurrected and he has used it quite a lot.

I am a bike novice. I was interested in bikes as a teenager but that was 17 ish years ago years ago. I had some form of Giant that I loved which lasted me for years.

I imagine he will use it for general riding around the streets etc with his mates, as well as some light off roading, and perhaps he will do some rides with me if I get a bike for myself.

I realise Halfords probably won't have a good name of this forum, but I have found this bike, which my son likes the look of (at that age, imagine is probably more important than actual substance!), and I was wondering if people could confirm whether it was a reasonable bike for the price:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... bike-black

I have read a few posts and I have seen the recommendations for a second hand bike when looking at such lowly price bands, but given my son is, well, a child, he will appreciate something new and shiny with an inferior spec than something used.

If anyone has any other alternatives, I am happy to be informed of them. I would consider paying up to £350 (though his mam won't be happy...) if you could convince me another bike was significantly better than the one in the link.

Thanks for reading.

Neale

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Better forks, better brakes, better gearing. Just about in budget.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi Cooldad. That pushes the budget but I will consider it. Thank you for the pointer.

I'd be happy to take more suggestions if anyone has something else to recommend.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Don't worry about Halfords - they are a good bike retailer - their reputation is justifiably much better than it was.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish - that is reassuring to know. Thank you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Kraken is currently the best buy at its price point, the fork is markedly better than most of the competition and well worth the extra for any vaguely serious riding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Kraken is the one to go for if you can stretch to it for sure it's a solid step up from vengeance.

Nothing wrong with Halfords per say, they sell some cheaper nastier brands and staff knowledge can vary from store to store, but the bike staff at my local branch seem reasonably good and knowledgeable.

Most of the bikes come 90% assembled from factory anyway, so in house building them up is usually just bolting the bars on, putting the front wheel and seat post and pedals on. Then checking brakes, gear shifts and bolt tightness.
  • Hi

Thanks guys. The Kraken it is then! If I go via Quidco it seems i can get another 5% off, bringing it kinda in budget. I may be a little economical with the truth with his mam... And also hope that he actually uses the thing!

Cheers
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    If you want to be really thrifty, it might be worth signing up membership to British cycling, which attracts a 10% discount at Halfords.

It costs £22 quid But that's only in store purchases, not Internet orders I think so you'd have to do the maths whether it's better to do that or quidco.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

8) 8)