Bike rack for MX-5 (2016 model)

tjw_78
tjw_78 Posts: 41
edited August 2017 in Road general
Hello, I've just swapped my Golf for an MX5 (2016, Mk4, the new one). Its excellent fun, but thats an aside.

Anyone know of a bike rack that will fit? Quick internet search isn't being terribly helpful for the latest model. I don't need it for much more than taking the bike to the lbs for a service, or to the start point of a sportive.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Saris Bones? Seasucker Talon? The latter might need some imaginative fitting if your car's a soft-top but there are internet images out there of people doing so.
    I use a Seasucker on a hatchback (definately not an MX-5!) and like it - quick to fit and remove, solid attachment for the bike and hasn't damaged the car, though remember to strap the crank arm to the frame.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Try registering on the MX5 OC (membership not required) or MX5Nutz, both were a good source of information when I had mine

Edit: The boot might be made of aluminium, so you might need to watch the weight, and associated leverage, of anything attached to it
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    tjw_78 wrote:
    Hello, I've just swapped my Golf for an MX5 (2016, Mk4, the new one). Its excellent fun, but thats an aside.

Anyone know of a bike rack that will fit? Quick internet search isn't being terribly helpful for the latest model. I don't need it for much more than taking the bike to the lbs for a service, or to the start point of a sportive.

Thanks in advance

I had a quick google and all I could find is racks for transporting scissors and combs to work :roll:
  • andy9964
    benjamess wrote:

I had a quick google and all I could find is racks for transporting scissors and combs to work :roll:

Usually spoken by people who have never driven one :roll:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    benjamess wrote:

I won't hear a word said against the MX-5. I did a day's race tuition (1:1) at Blyton with Mark Hales (one of the guys that races Nick Mason's collection of fabulous classics). Mark is given an MX-5 to use by Mazda and I've done upwards of 70 or 80 races myself. I was deeply impressed - very capable car.

Back OT and I would say the Saris Bones will do what you want.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    I used to use a Saris bones on a mk2.5 - with a mountain bike on it :). pretty sure that one had an alu boot lid too but you best check. It never caused any issues (ignoring the copious amounts of mud falling off the bike onto the car).
  • benjamess wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Used to have an MX-5 (mk2.5) about 8 years ago ... great wee car, loved it ... wish I still had it to be honest.
    When I had mine, I spent a fair bit of money at "www.mx5parts.co.uk". They used to be good for anything MX5 related, might be worth giving them a try. If they don't have what you're looking for they might be able to point you in the right direction ... although the folks on the owners forum and MX5nutz are usually helpful.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    e.g. http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/boot-mounted- ... -3196.html
    although if you have the mk4 then you might be out of luck as even an official carbon fibre "luggage" rack is only rated to 10kg due to the weight limit that the boot lid can take.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Always makes me laugh when people get a 5 and then realize they can't fit anything init.Then they go and destroy the beautiful lines by slamming a rack on the back.
  • Not exactly spacious boots are they - although I did manage to squeeze two sets of golf clubs in mine.
    Biggest problem I had was when I bought a couple of cases of beer. One of them was too big for the boot and had to ride shotgun on the way home.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I loved our MX5 - hairdressers car? Yer right - 1.8L - roundabouts = drifting ...

Best thing we did was fit a towbar - filled our racing dinghy with camping stuff (cos you get 1 bag in the boot) and headed off for France ... on the way out of town a boy racer was right up the transom - despite it being a 30 limit - as we hit the de-limit I floored it - left him standing ..

I conciously had to ease my foot off the pedal to stop creeping up over 80mph...

I'd love one now - but can't fit 3 of us in - and I couldn't put the wife in the trailer! ;)
  • andy9964
    I took a bath to the tip in mine..............................okay, I had to jigsaw it into 6" sections, but still......
  • I saw someone in an MX-5 with an 8 ft tree sticking out from their passenger seat ... think it was about Christmas, so the middle of winter too.
  • john1967 wrote:
    Then they go and destroy the beautiful lines by slamming a rack on the back.

I thought this was a Mazda?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tjw_78
    Thanks for the suggestions. The comments about the Aluminium boot are worth noting and so I'll probably just leave it. Our family car is a Citroen C5 Grand Piscasso, so its not exactly a big problem!

Oh, and to everyone who made hairdresser comments. Zero points for originality guys. Try driving an MX-5 and you might just change you tune. Its an awesome car, with handling that just makes you smile.
  • hood down, jam it behind the seats.
  • tjw_78
    hood down, jam it behind the seats.

Not going to work on a Mk 4 :?
  • I had a few mates that gave me the "hairdresser" car comments etc.
    The changed their tune after I took them for a spirited drive along the twisty country roads :mrgreen:
  • tjw_78
    We now have 9 bikes and the kids have started racing, so I think the MX-5 will have to go. I work from home these days, so never get to drive it. Will be so sad to see it go, its such an awesome car.
    And, to its credit, it got me to the bike shop just before closing the other night, in need to get some replacement wheel nipples emergency, that allowed me to race the next morning. The family bus would have never have managed it
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I'd keep it - you'll find in a few years you fancy another but prices will have gone silly and you can't justify it - happened with my old style mini cooper anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Did you find a rack to fit the boot? Just interested as we have a 2016 MX5 as well.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I'd keep it - you'll find in a few years you fancy another but prices will have gone silly and you can't justify it - happened with my old style mini cooper anyway.

this exactly - its owes younothing and its mega fun.

much like the time i didn't turn up at a ridiculously hot blonde's house one night because I was watching Ally McBeal you'll only regret it forever.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    MattFalle said:

this exactly - its owes younothing and its mega fun.

much like the time i didn't turn up at a ridiculously hot blonde's house one night because I was watching Ally McBeal you'll only regret it forever.
    You have massively went down in my estimation.
    Unless you were watching Ally IRL.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    nope. ally fuckingMcBeal. The shitlawyer programme from '97/'98

don't worry - i went down in my estimation the moment I put the phone down one of the worst romance based mistakes I ever made.

utterfucking balloon head i was.

she was totally divine. totally snd utterly. and i chose to watch Ally fuckingMcBeal.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    ^^^^ Muppet ^^^^
    No point in rubbing in though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

^^^^ Muppet ^^^^
    No point in rubbing in though.

total muppet. in fact, the whole cast.

she was/is divine. essentially TDLW.

So utterly deliciously wonderful. And I chose Ally fuckingMcBeal.

#muppet