Tour of Utah 2017 *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited August 2017 in Pro race
If anybody is interested, or at a loose end during the week.

1467629035858_the-5-best-cities-in-utah-for-the-arts--3.jpg?crc=3920232864

Larry H Miller's bash is live from start to finish on the race tracker.
Stage 1 is underway with about 15kms covered.

Live:-
http://tourtracker.tourofutah.com/

Moab-Utah.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• ^Monument Valley

Utah is spectacoolar

On me bucket list
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ^Monument Valley

Utah is spectacoolar

On me bucket list
    Spent a week there looking at rocks and drinking heavily. Is a nice place :)
  • Chris Lawless got up in to second in the sprint, was a tricky little circuit to finish on.

Ty Wagner (I think that was his name) got the win
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited August 2017
    It will be an interesting race which might tend to favour locals, or at least riders familiar with the area, given the altitude. Here I don't just mean the MTFs of SnowBird Resort and today's SnowBasin. The ITT ends up at around 2700m
  • RonB
    124018_01-finish-still.jpg

Close finish, but I think Kittel just edged it :D
  • Won't be a blanket stage finish today, that's for sure.

TOU_2017_Stage_2_Profile_vPRINT.jpg
  • 'America First Credit Union'

Hmmmm.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    'America First Credit Union'

Hmmmm.

Very strong name, very strong... AAA rated I'm sure... :wink:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    is this a world tour race ? Noticed in on Eurosport and got the highlights recorded
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    sherer wrote:
    is this a world tour race ? Noticed in on Eurosport and got the highlights recorded
    No, it's HC
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    BMC's Brent Bookwalter won the second MTF stage and Sepp Kuss (Rally Cycling) takes the overall lead. Another good performance from Chris Lawless picking up intermediate points for the sprint jersey, with Axeon teammate Neilson Powless taking over in the Young Riders competition.

DGMxKJIUIAAeC_f.jpg

Yes that is Bookwalter in the leaders Jersey. They gave it to him by mistake. Soon rectified though.

AR-170809937.jpg?maxw=555&ts=1501637095

Next stop, that high altitude ITT (but it is "just" 9km).
  • RonB
    edited August 2017
    Stage three of this years rate is an individual TT. Just 9km but all uphill, past the Solitude Mountain Ski Resort (Twin Peaks or The Shining?) with an average gradient of 5.5%.

If you're following via the tracker, riders should be on the course from around 1800 to 2100 BST.

TOU_2017_Stage_3_Profile_vPRINT.jpg?1501513618

SAM_8542+Big+Cottonwood+Canyon+Rd..JPG

A_63.jpg
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    oof... that ITT looks fun...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    no cannondale. I like watching this race but could do with another wt team.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Really good race so far.

That was some finish yesterday.

I always enjoy how these sort of US races always seem to finish in car parks.
  • RonB
    And we're off. Just for info there is 30% time in place cut so riders not in the GC battle or out for the stage win can't take it too easy. No TT bikes either, standard road bikes today.
  • Rob Britton picks up where he left off in California: kicking WT bottom.
  • RonB
    Stage 4 covers 200km with a start/ finish in South Jordan City and while it looks like a sprinters stage there is Faust road - 15km of dirt and gravel surface to contend with along with one of those beloved :roll: crit stylee finishes at the end of the stage.

TOU_2017_Stage_4_Profile_vPRINT.jpg?1495665437
  • RonB
    From Cycling News Hound ...

"The temperature wasn’t the only thing on the rise during stage 4 at the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah on Thursday, as disagreements in the breakaway about who was working and who was sitting on led to arguments and a crash for Israel Cycling Academy’s Daniel Turek.

Turek infiltrated a six-rider break that escaped after 90 difficult minutes of racing in temperatures that reached 36 degrees Celsius. The group eventually built a gap of five minutes on the peloton. But when Turek’s director ordered him to sit on the move, his breakaway companion took exception.

In the break with Turek were Gonzalo Serrano (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Lorenzo Rota (Bardiani CSF), Marco Zamparella (Amore & Vita), Taylor Sheldon (Jelly Belly-Maxxis) and Brian McCulloch (Elevate-KHS).

Turek could be seen in the group informing his fellow breakaway companions that he had been ordered not to work, but the news didn’t go over too well.

Rotas immediately attacked the group when the gap started coming down, but the others were able to bring him back. He jumped again with Serrano, and the two riders opened a gap that would leave the rest behind.

As Turek chased with Zamparella, Sheldon and McCulloch, his front tire made contact with Zamparella’s back tire, and the Cycling Academy rider went down hard."

Not much has changed in terms of the GC after S4. Some of the lesser known Domestic teams doing very we'll but the top 10 riders only separated by a minute or so. Bookwalter from BMC still there as the favourite?
  • RonB
    Stage 5 goes from Layton to Bountiful. The 185km route finishes in two circuits around the town which includes the steep climb across the Bountiful Bench.

TOU-2017-Stage-5-Profile-vPRINT.png?1497041383
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    No Tour of Poland thread, so I'll say it here. Tour of Poland stage 7 was absolutely fantastic and worth watching on Youtube!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    No Tour of Poland thread, so I'll say it here. Tour of Poland stage 7 was absolutely fantastic and worth watching on Youtube!
    It was very good. Baffling Bora tactics though.
  • M.R.M. wrote:

Yer, well, I made two race threads, then got fed up because nobody else can be arsed.

Tactics made for great viewing, but I thought the final climb to the finish was a bit meh.
    Imo, Stage 6 was better.

Here.
    Rally Cycling > BMC.
  • RonB
    Thanks Blazing. Rally coped with a number of attacks during a demanding finishing circuit with Travis Mccabe from UHC taking the stage win. MTF and Queens stage tomorrow though, so still all to play for.
  • m.r.m.
    No worries, Blazing. Just didn't know where to post. :D<3
    RichN95 wrote:

I think Majka was supposed to bridge, but seemed to not have the legs. He did put in a dig here and there, but always stopped when the others didn't pull as well. Problem was that he was just not able to drop anyone when he tried to attack. Not really sure he can be a GC captain. He should probably just be a lieutenant for someone like Froome, Quintana, Porte or Dumoulin.
    On the final climb when he went for a sprint maybe 800m out from the finish he should have probably just tried to keep going. Even there he pulled over after launching and then started up again instead of either going for broke or waiting longer and launching later.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I think Majka was supposed to bridge, but seemed to not have the legs. He did put in a dig here and there, but always stopped when the others didn't pull as well. Problem was that he was just not able to drop anyone when he tried to attack. Not really sure he can be a GC captain. He should probably just be a lieutenant for someone like Froome, Quintana, Porte or Dumoulin.
    On the final climb when he went for a sprint maybe 800m out from the finish he should have probably just tried to keep going. Even there he pulled over after launching and then started up again instead of either going for broke or waiting longer and launching later.
    They had Teuns dropped at one point. And Sagan was there to pull, like Rosa did. But Sagan attacked, for no purpose. Just odd.
  • RonB
    edited August 2017
    Shame we didn't have a thread for this one but anyone can make a start! Especially since the roadside support has been strong with this one.

Think Majka had plenty of chances, but to expect the guy in yellow to help by taking a turn up front did seem a bit optimistic!
  • RichN95.
    Can I just say that I have only just realised there's a difference between Dylan Teuns and Ed Theuns
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

They had Teuns dropped at one point. And Sagan was there to pull, like Rosa did. But Sagan attacked, for no purpose. Just odd.
    True. Didn't get that one either. Maybe they felt they needed to drop Poels as well?! Doesn't make sense though since Majka only needed to make it to the finish ahead of Theuns by 6 seconds or something.
  • Majka wanted others to win it for him, rather than try to win it himself,
    Unlike Poels, his reluctance to stick his nose in the wind on the penultimate climb cost him the overall, as the final climb wasn't selective.
    Even there he expected Teuns to come through!