Tubeless Tape Vs Rimstrips

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited July 2017 in Workshop
I am looking to convert my Alexrims CXD-4 rims (they say they're 'tubeless ready') to tubeless ahead of upcoming cross events and races this year.

However, I don't understand the difference between the tape and the rimstrips, do I need both?

This kit seems to have both

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/stans-no-tubes- ... 60686963uk

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    That kit appears to have some tape for protection and then the rubber band with the valve in it, which looks essentially like a cut-down inner tube.

When I converted my Alex Rims ZX24 (29er) I ditched the existing rim tape, ran some Gorilla tape around, poked a hole for the valve to go through then fitted a simple tubeless valve. So far so good (a few hundred miles in, not a single issue so far - in the same time/distance on tubes I would statistically have had at least one, but probably more punctures).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Those Stans kits are aimed mainly at converting non-tubeless ready wheels - mostly the MTB variety if you look at the size options. The tape seals the rim and the rim strips build up the rim bed. The issue with these wheels that run at lower pressure is 'burping' where the bead is pushed INTO the rim and air leaks - the kits keep the beads tight on the rim beds. However, with the higher pressure road wheels run at, the issue is the rim being blown off OVER the rim - so the rims and tyres need to be specific to keep the beads locked into the rim under this load.

For road tubeless ready wheels, get tubeless rim tape (unless you're wheels have hidden spoke holes and airtight rims), tubeless valves and sealant (and tubeless specific tyres obviously). I recommend the Orange Seal brand but Stans are the most popular.