Best work commute backpack?

rlanger
rlanger Posts: 19
edited August 2017 in Road general
Looking for a new backpack for my daily commute.

Right now I'm considering the Osprey Talon 22. The size looks good for my needs as I need to carry a small laptop, change of clothes, lunch, and various small items.

So I really haven't come across anything that looks much better. Anyone have any recommendations before I decide to pull the trigger on the Osprey?

Thanks.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'd probably get a better response from posting in the '"Commute" forums
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rlanger
    Thank you. Newby mistake.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Alpkit do some great ones, I have their 25 litre one and it is cheap, waterproof and comfortable
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    I use this for commuting;

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/200284/p ... kpack.aspx

really good quality (made it through 2 winters plus use it as a day sack for fell walking in summer), chest and stomach straps so you hardly notice it once it's on and has a built in bright rain cover, depending on the size of your laptop you would probably need an 18L version though!
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I have one of the Rapha backpacks, bloody fantastic and well worth the money.

Very slim line (aero), but expandable too.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Dhb slice.
    My commute is 30 miles each way and after much trial and error this was by far the most practical and comfortable.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Planet X now have their day pack back in stock:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/products/ ... s-in-stock

I've used one of these nearly every day for over a year - nice and bright, loads of room, separate compartment for shoes at the bottom, helmet holder, not too dear - I couldn't really ask for any more!

I like it so much I'm going to buy another one - they haven't had them in stock for ages and I was considering an Osprey, got one from wiggle and sent it straight back - just not worth the money in my opinion.
  • rlanger
    Wow, lots of great alternatives, thanks. I think you just made it tougher, not easier! ugh.
  • awiseman
    awiseman Posts: 35
    The like of Vaude and Deuter also do bike specific rucksacks (raised or mesh backs). I've been using a Vaude Bike Alpin for the last 6 years for commuting to work, which has been far better than a standard rucksack.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I have the new Osprey Talon 11 and it's fantastic, just returned from a week of cycle touring around Wales with it and it was faultless and really comfortable.

Rather strangely, the 11L version comes in two-sizes, a S/M and a M/L for different back lengths; I think it's the same deal for the 22L version too, but the Osprey website explains it all. I went for the M/L and it seems a little larger than you'd expect from an 11 litre rucksack, so it might well serve your needs if you don't need to carry shoes etc.

I took a look at them all in a Cotswold Outdoor and didn't like the 22 version as much, particularly the rubbish velcro system for strap height adjustment but YMMV. The only other concern you might have is that they're not strictly waterproof, so I used a dry-bag inside as well; if you're regularly commuting in wet weather with a laptop, this might be a deal-breaker.
  • bad_ash
    bad_ash Posts: 47
    bsharp77 wrote:

Is this waterproof? I can't see it state that it is, however it does say:
    you're covered for all seasons and all reasons, come rain or shine.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Bad Ash wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

Is this waterproof? I can't see it state that it is, however it does say:
    you're covered for all seasons and all reasons, come rain or shine.

No, technically not waterproof - its made from a pretty hard fabric so will withstand a light shower no problem.
    However if its starts tipping it down, best to keep a cover handy - they do one for 4 quid, so its not a massive extra outlay.
    Having used or tried most of the bags mentioned here, the Day Pack is as good if not better for not a lot of money - I can't recommend it enough.
  • rlanger
    I have the new Osprey Talon 11 and it's fantastic, just returned from a week of cycle touring around Wales with it and it was faultless and really comfortable.

Rather strangely, the 11L version comes in two-sizes, a S/M and a M/L for different back lengths; I think it's the same deal for the 22L version too, but the Osprey website explains it all. I went for the M/L and it seems a little larger than you'd expect from an 11 litre rucksack, so it might well serve your needs if you don't need to carry shoes etc.

I took a look at them all in a Cotswold Outdoor and didn't like the 22 version as much, particularly the rubbish velcro system for strap height adjustment but YMMV. The only other concern you might have is that they're not strictly waterproof, so I used a dry-bag inside as well; if you're regularly commuting in wet weather with a laptop, this might be a deal-breaker.

Thanks for this info. I live in the countryside in Japan so there aren't any options for me to check these bags out in person. I think I might just have to wait until I can go to Tokyo to find a shop that carries both sizes.
  • rlanger
    Having used or tried most of the bags mentioned here, the Day Pack is as good if not better for not a lot of money - I can't recommend it enough.

It does look pretty nice.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    rlanger wrote:
    Thanks for this info. I live in the countryside in Japan so there aren't any options for me to check these bags out in person. I think I might just have to wait until I can go to Tokyo to find a shop that carries both sizes.

FWIW, I'm quite short (170 cm) and the S/M felt way too small even for me; the waist strap was around my stomach.

If you're any taller than me, I'd say the M/L options are a safe bet.
  • Isn't the best commuting backpack a pannier?
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • rlanger
    Isn't the best commuting backpack a pannier?

Maybe if I weren't riding my road bike to work, panniers might be a good option. But I like to come home from work, throw my stuff inside the house and head out to the mountains for a bit of climbing. Having to deal panniers makes that a PITA.

Unless, of course, you meant this?

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/191417 ... g-panniers
  • rlanger
    So I found a store only about 11k from my home that carries Osprey and ended up getting the Talon.
    I bought the small one because I felt the larger size was just a bit too big for my daily commute.

It's a pretty amazing pack. Incredibly comfortable (rode it on a 100k ride today and barely noticed it), highly adjustable, plenty of internal and external storage, and it has pockets for both of my water bottles when I'm off the bike.

Best of all, when my phone is in the hip-strap pocket, there's no connection loss at all with my bluetooth headphones. Big win there.

It's a tad pricey, but definitely checks all of the boxes for me.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations.
  • This Timbuk2 backpack is really nicely designed, and I commute with it 3-4 times a week. Smartphones and other small items have their own pockets, which can be utilized to store other requirements in the main compartment. The laptop has its own allocated space to keep it safe during the journey. Overall, this bike commuter backpack is stylish and functional, making it ideal for minimalist commuters.
  • Does it rain often where you are ? It does here and I ended up using a fully waterproof rucsac from Overboard bags for years, pretty tough as well.